10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 14:06:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of trains from the West stopping at Newbury  (Read 6675 times)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2008, 16:30:18 »

Hi, I was just looking at a 2003 timetable I have and I noted that there is a lack of calls at Newbury on services from the West to London.  In the 2003 timetable there were calls every 2 hours except one 3 hour gap.  Now there is a gap of over 5 hours from 08:30 to 13:47, then gaps of around 3 hours to 16:50 and then 19:44.  I note that many trains still call at Castle Cary, Westbury and Pewsey.  Newbury is the largest town on the Berks and Hants so why the lack of trains from the West stopping there?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 17:33:00 »

Because most people travelling west don't want to have to stop at Newbury perhaps  Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 18:11:38 »

Most people want to head east.

Plus the InterCity trains need to be quick.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 21:17:14 »

Perhaps they should twin Newbury with Melksham.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 23:15:20 »

Newbury has a good service to London direct or changing at Reading.  Also in 2003 Thames and Great Western were competing with each other.  So each call Great Western made meant they got more revenue.  Now they are one company that is no longer the case.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:14 »

Newbury has a good service to London direct or changing at Reading.  Also in 2003 Thames and Great Western were competing with each other.  So each call Great Western made meant they got more revenue.  Now they are one company that is no longer the case.
Yes but not everyone is going to or from London, I have been asked at Exeter "does this train stop at Newbury" so there is some demand for travel from the west to Newbury.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 13:57:50 »

I think this is very important question and goes to the very heart of providing a rail services.

Namely what pattern of services do you provide to give direct trains to and from as many stations as possible.

East of Westbury you have Pewsey, Bedwyn, Hungerford, Kintbury and Newbury.

Now from the West, FGW (First Great Western) can fill  a lot of trains from Taunton to London with only a stop at Reading. So FGW have no incentive to stop them a Newbury only for them to be crammed with Reading/London passengers. They could be set down only at Newbury but I doubt there would be enough passengers per train to justify the stop. Also that would just make the TMs(resolve) job impossible sorting out the Newbury people who shouldn't have got on the train.

So you are looking at some kind of Taunton - Reading stopper, but there are too many stations to serve to give a reasonable running time from say Castle Cary to Reading/London. So perhaps what you have to do is run a semi fast from Taunton all staions to Westbury then Newbury Reading/London.

So that still leaves Pewsbury to Kintbury out in the cold. So perhaps the Bedwyn service could be extended to Westbury. However that adds another 112 miles per return journey (say at least 2 hours per train)  just to serve Pewsey and give people from the West a service to intermediate stations with a change at Westbury.

One possible way of doing it would be have have an hourly stopper Newbury to  Taunton with the same overall running times but with different patterns of stops odd and even hours. I'll leave it to cleverer people than I, to work out if you could serve all possible combinations every 2 hours.

So perhaps the current service is not so bad, at least there are now through trains from Bedwyn to Pewsey.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 14:17:07 »

A couple of relevant ideas mooted for the future (links below.)
http://www.raildocuments.org.uk/gwfuture/londoncornwall.xls

http://www.canber.co.uk/?q=node/31

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 14:40:27 »

A couple of relevant ideas mooted for the future (links below.)
http://www.raildocuments.org.uk/gwfuture/londoncornwall.xls
Thanks for the link, I think the fast services to the west though should stop at Taunton as by not stopping them there you are extending journey times to Taunton.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 16:19:39 »

If you are referring to the 1006/1206 from Paddington, these services are in themselves much faster without stopping at Taunton. Around 10 minutes than you average stopping pattern. The trains are the first *fast* services into Penzance from London so are therefore fairly busy.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 16:31:34 »

If you are referring to the 1006/1206 from Paddington, these services are in themselves much faster without stopping at Taunton. Around 10 minutes than you average stopping pattern. The trains are the first *fast* services into Penzance from London so are therefore fairly busy.
No, sorry I was talking about the proposed timetable Lee posted the link for.

In the real timetable though I think back in the early 1990s trains to Penzance used to be even faster, with stops only at Exeter and Plymouth.  It's also strange that there are two westbound services that run PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - RDG(resolve) - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) - NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) - PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) but only one eastbound service that runs PLY - EXD - RDG - PDG.  I would also like to ask if there is any benefit in stopping the 10:06 and 12:06 at Newton Abbot as I think the station is about as important as Taunton and both trains I think are busy even without the stop there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 15:08:31 by Zoe » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 16:56:49 »

Personally as a user of Newton Abbot I will reject any removals of stops. One day I might choose to use those services even though i tend to leave early and arrive back late.

On another note isn't the saturday night service to Torbay awful  Angry
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 19:29:26 »

I think they should use the 180s to run a London to Westbury semi fast service to replace the Thames Turbo service to Bedwyn. London - M'head - Reading etc.

Then make occasional HST (High Speed Train) calls here and there to keep people happy.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 19:33:15 »

Aside from the fact that 180s are needed elsewhere Wink
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 20:18:31 »

I think they should use the 180s to run a London to Westbury semi fast service to replace the Thames Turbo service to Bedwyn. London - M'head - Reading etc.

That's pretty much what IndustryInsider had in mind when he devised the proposal contained in the link below.
http://www.canber.co.uk/?q=node/31

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: