17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 22:22:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last trains  (Read 8739 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 21:20:33 »

Sorry Sad
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 23:02:42 »

Fair enough, Ollie - don't let them get you down!  Wink Cheesy Grin

Typo's are the bane of my life, too!  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 15:38:34 »

The 18:24 from Manchester to Plymouth is timetabled to take 55 minutes between TVP and EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 15:50:52 »

Not really, as it's only really the 21:45 Exeter that has that padding to west of england, if i remember correctly, and the paddington is from Tiverton - Exeter, so all it would mean is people getting to Exeter earlier than expected.
Thats correct, and also this service is 'set down only' from Bristol? I think. So the timetable sort of becomes irrelevant! Grin

I understand why services are marked "set down only" (essentially to make it easier to alter the timing or replace the train with a bus), but if I decide to take a chance and join a train at a station marked set down only and I have an anytime or off peak ticket, is my ticket valid? in practice will anyone take any action against me either at the platform to prevent my boarding or on the train to issue a penalty?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 16:07:41 »

Technically yes you would be liable for a penalty if you bored a train that is not scheduled to pick up at a particular stop. However I personally haven't seen it enforced.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 16:33:42 »

Not really, as it's only really the 21:45 Exeter that has that padding to west of england, if i remember correctly, and the paddington is from Tiverton - Exeter, so all it would mean is people getting to Exeter earlier than expected.
Thats correct, and also this service is 'set down only' from Bristol? I think. So the timetable sort of becomes irrelevant! Grin

I understand why services are marked "set down only" (essentially to make it easier to alter the timing or replace the train with a bus), but if I decide to take a chance and join a train at a station marked set down only and I have an anytime or off peak ticket, is my ticket valid? in practice will anyone take any action against me either at the platform to prevent my boarding or on the train to issue a penalty?

As Ollie says, you will be charged from the previous station call. Bristol Temple Meads - Exeter is quite a difference compared to Tiverton - Exeter!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 16:44:51 »

On days the engineering works does not happen, I have seen many people get off the 2353 FGW (First Great Western) service and onto the 2325 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service if they are both sitting there, and the TM(resolve) does not seemed too fussed.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 16:59:29 »

I guess where the set down is for operational convenience as in these cases then I would have thought it unlikely that any TM(resolve) would impose a penalty. Penalties are justified if set down only/pick up only is used to control passenger numbers. Eg if an ex Paddington service is Reading pick up only to prevent it being swamped by Reading commuters. Then there would be every justification in charging a fare to the next station, as the passenger is clearly trying to perform a journey that is not allowed.

If the 2145 gets diverted after Bristol due to engineering work then staff can easily lay on coaches/taxis to get people to intermediate destinations. However, if it weren't set down only then they would have to ensure taxis were available at each intermediate station on the off chance that a pssenger was waiting. Another benefit for it being Set down only after Bristol.     
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 20:33:23 »

When I was in Edinburgh, I stayed near Haymarket station.

To get into Edinburgh station each day, I often took a "set down only" train - the station staff said I could, and nobody mined/ fined me!

This is because there are few trains that stop "unrestricted" at Haymarket - probably to stop fare evaders switching from one station to the other.

But since ticket gates have recently been installed at Haymarket, it is rather pointless!
Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:24 »

Hi

As someone who sometimes relies on this service on a Thursday evening and gets me into TVP at a reasonable time, I am really beyond caring how long it actually takes  Cheesy so long a there's beer in the buffet.

After working the last day of my "week" in Iceland, and the flight into Heathrow is on time, I usually make it to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 20 mins before departure.  The taxi picking me up at TVP onward to BNP (Barnstaple) usually tracks the service, so I am not left out in the cold at TVP for too long.

Waiting for the sleeper service?  I'd book an hotel in London rather than wait for that departure.

Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 19:16:29 »

It appears they have done exactly what I wanted in the new timetable and published the times as though there is no possession but marked the train as EW for engineering work.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 19:56:11 »

Someone told me that the engineering is due to complete soon, as the previous 4 weekend line closures were to get the job done.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: