Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 05:40:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems between Westbury & Castle Cary  (Read 8230 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 15:05:04 »

10 November 2008

Train services between Westbury and Castle Cary are being disrupted due to an obstruction on the line.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 60 minutes can be expected.
The Line is now open but will be closed from 1700hours for the rest of the day. Replacement Road transport will continue to operate between Taunton and Castle Cary and Westbury and Castle Cary.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 18:05:24 »

Further update.... not good at the moment:

10 November 2008
Train services between Westbury and Castle Cary are being disrupted due to an obstruction on the line.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays can be expected.
The line is now closed from 1700 10 November 2008 until 1200 11 November 2008. Replacement Road transport will continue to operate between Taunton and Castle Cary and Westbury and Castle Cary. Customers are advised not to travel until after 1200 hours tomorrow.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 18:06:26 »

derailed frieght train wasnt it

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 18:09:46 »

actually if the trains can get to castle cary can they not terminate at yeovil junction and alow passengers to change there i know a full divert is not possible at such short notice
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 18:15:57 »

From Nationalrail:

Last updated    10/11/2008 17:27

Because of an earlier derailed freight train between Castle Cary and Westbury, journeys are being delayed by up to 40 minutes.

Buses replace trains between Taunton and Castle Cary and between Castle Cary and Westbury

Trains between Taunton and London Paddington may be diverted between Taunton and Reading via Bristol and Bath Spa

Ticket Acceptance

First Great Western passengers are being accepted on South West Trains services between Templecombe and London Waterloo.

---

Must be serious as this happened during the night, 1C99 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ sleeper was diverted to Taunton where it had to wait for the possession to be given back from the weekend engineering between TAU» (Taunton - next trains) & EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 18:17:42 by SDA » Logged

signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 19:28:43 »

derailed frieght train wasnt it

Off the road at Witham with a train from Merehead.  1C99 was waiting at Castle Cary for 1A40 to come up from Yeovil but due to the Up being blocked by the derailment it was decided to run 1C99 to Taunton to enable 1A40 to run round at Cary and go via Taunton as well.  

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 19:09:13 »

Just for the record:

Network Rail is closing the track between Westbury and Castle Cary at 5pm after a freight train from Merehead Quarry to Acton, west London, derailed at low speed at 2.40am.

Work to lift the train back onto the track is estimated to take several hours and the line will be reopened by 6am tomorrow.

It will result in delays for passengers travelling tonight on the main line, both ways, between London and Plymouth. Trains will now be diverted to Bristol and other nearby stations adding about 15 minutes to journey times.

See http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/latestheadlines/3835226.Freight_train_derails/

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 19:46:56 »

Pictures of the derailed stone train will be found on this link;

http://midis.fotopic.net/c1610828.html

Trundling gently round the SW
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 19:49:45 »

rumour has it signalman set signal but not the points? as i said just rumour so not confirmed

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 19:55:38 »

rumour has it signalman set signal but not the points? as i said just rumour so not confirmed

that looks like it was nasty!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 21:03:37 »

I thought signalling systems prevented such basic errors, so the signal couln't be set to proceed unless the route was set. 
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 23:17:05 »

I thought signalling systems prevented such basic errors, so the signal couln't be set to proceed unless the route was set. 

that might be the case as i said it was just a rumour,can anyone confirm?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 23:46:07 »

Signalling interlocks do indeed stop signals from being set until points are locked in place. Likely a spad.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:23 »

I can confirm that rumor is in fact entirely false. Wink

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:08:33 »

Signalling interlocks do indeed stop signals from being set until points are locked in place. Likely a spad.

Can also confirm that the incident was not the result of a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: