Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:22:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 172s for FGW  (Read 10196 times)
TJ

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:41:38 »

If FGW (First Great Western) are allowed to obtain the 11 x 4 car 172s that they wish to run on the Cardiff to Portsmouth route and also retain their existing DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) fleet (as is their conditional desire), how will this affect fleet deployment in the South West?

TJ
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:40 »

Where are the 172's coming from?
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:02:22 »

Not a lot of info out there but there is a little bit about it on the West of England website

I should really have looked a bit further before I wrote the above, but came across a letter from the SWRDA» (South West Regional Development Agency - about) to Ruth Kelly specifically proposing brand new trains for the route, although it seems to imply they would come from the '1300' already proposed. (Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere).

Interesting on the WoEP site that FGW (First Great Western) are putting forward a business case, whether along the same lines as proposed by the SWRDA I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:25:31 by tramway » Logged
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 18:41:32 »

A Class 172 Turbostar will have fewer seats than a Class 150 Sprinter it replaces[1] (e.g. a three-car 150/1 has 35 more seats than a three-car 172/3) but greater overall capacity due to the increased room for standing passengers as well as wider aisles intended to speed boarding and reduce time in stations.

The trains will be air conditioned and contain no openable windows, as opposed to the Class 150.

......so were just cattle now?
r james

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 21:07:29 »

I do wonder however, if getting some 172 units would infact mean that a small number of the 158s which are being cascaded being transfered tp EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), thus solving overall capacity problems for everyone??

Say FGW (First Great Western) keep 6 of the cascaded 158s, and the other 5 go to EMT, everything is solved. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 21:15:31 »

A Class 172 Turbostar will have fewer seats than a Class 150 Sprinter it replaces[1] (e.g. a three-car 150/1 has 35 more seats than a three-car 172/3) but greater overall capacity due to the increased room for standing passengers as well as wider aisles intended to speed boarding and reduce time in stations.

The trains will be air conditioned and contain no openable windows, as opposed to the Class 150.

......so were just cattle now?

This is going to be a problem on LM (London Midland - recent franchise)'s Snow Hill Lines services. 30 fewer seats AND they are ordering fewer carriages! Commuters will be like sardines.

But it is good news about the windows / air con! Grin
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 13:45:11 »

I don't think FGW (First Great Western) have actually mentioned what class of unit they intend to order for FGW's services, they are also planning to obtain new trains for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley)........ lets hope they go for 185's
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 14:11:27 »

I don't think FGW (First Great Western) have actually mentioned what class of unit they intend to order for FGW's services, they are also planning to obtain new trains for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley)........ lets hope they go for 185's

WIll any ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) contemplate buying a large amount of stock for a route that is highly likely to be electrified in the next decade (LTV that is.)?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 14:16:57 »

Could they not replace all stock in Bristol and Devon/Cornwall when no longer on Thames Valley?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 14:21:00 »

The L&TV units will surely have to be compatible with the present 165/6 fleet for coupling purposes? I would suggest that they will be a Turbostar, probably a variant of the 172 with appropriate coupling modifications, or they will get cascaded 165's from Chiltern when they receive their on-order new vehicles in the next couple of years. Cascaded units probably make more sense than new builds as the present turbo fleet will lose around 50% of its current work when Crossrail opens.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
r james

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 17:10:58 »

They should just be allowed to order 172s to meet thier full requirements, then leave it there.  Nothing more.

I suspect however its unlikely this will ever be approved. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 17:31:58 »

There should be a continual building programme of 172s that needs to be running until all non plug door/ non air con units / buses have been sent to the scrap yard.

Then there would be a Universal UK (United Kingdom) wide DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) semi fast/local fleet.

But that is far too sensible, so lets keep the Sprinters and Pacers!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 17:38:34 »

The problem with that is that they all reach life expiry at the same time.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:14 »

Then there would be a Universal UK (United Kingdom) wide DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) semi fast/local fleet.
Not quite, Northern Ireland would still have different units.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 10:32:34 »

The L&TV units will surely have to be compatible with the present 165/6 fleet for coupling purposes? I would suggest that they will be a Turbostar, probably a variant of the 172 with appropriate coupling modifications, or they will get cascaded 165's from Chiltern when they receive their on-order new vehicles in the next couple of years. Cascaded units probably make more sense than new builds as the present turbo fleet will lose around 50% of its current work when Crossrail opens.

I don't think Chiltern will be too keen to cascade 165/0s to FGW. Their plan is to rengine all their 165s and 168 to the same as the 172 to match their performance this is to get a 90 minute timing to Moor Street. Also if teh Oxford service gets off the ground then they will need all teh units they've got.

As has been agreed elesewhere that it will be a long time before most of the FGW is electrified a fleet of 172s for the West of England to replace Buses and 150s and provide more capacity would be a sound idea. That's why it's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:38:37 by eightf48544 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: