29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:11:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: who wants commuter services between okehampton and exeter at peak times?
yes - 16 (88.9%)
no - 2 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: the great experiment  (Read 22718 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 17:53:08 »

why is that? i used to catch the swt ones to paignton for a decent journey
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 18:34:12 »

Because Exeter - Waterloo will be hourly.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 18:37:51 »

why is that? i used to catch the swt ones to paignton for a decent journey

Because the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) decreed that the service would not be part of the franchise specification once the Waterloo service went hourly as the units would be required for that.

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 21:07:50 »

oh ok that makes sence
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 06:51:27 »

Dream ON

Yes Okehampton Should be back on the Railway map, but it's not going to happen.

FGW (First Great Western) could do it but they are loosing money hand over fist, with far too many managers, with bad train crew rostering, the massive use of contractors, (who are there to make as much as they can out of FGW), etc

SWT (South West Trains) could run a very limited service Early and late to/from Okie on the back of the first and last trains of the Day from Exeter S D to Waterloo.

The owners of Dartmoor Rail could if they can get around Hugh Loops run a service to Yeoford (Rebuilt Downside platform) and make connections to the Barny Exeter trains But 90% of would be passengers would be lost because of changing trains Better for Dartmoor Rail to build platforms at Coleford Junction.

The best hope for regular trains to Okie would be Open Access but that would need services run from Okie to London, or Birmingham, Manchester etc, where most revenue would come from the Rail Settlement Plan ie pick the pocket  of FGW by running trains to London Grin

Yes I know there are NO spare paths for trains to/from London, but then there were no spare paths to/from London KX for Grand Central. Somehow they run!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:54:20 by smokey » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 18:33:43 »

Dream ON

Yes Okehampton Should be back on the Railway map, but it's not going to happen.

FGW (First Great Western) could do it but they are loosing money hand over fist, with far too many managers, with bad train crew rostering, the massive use of contractors, (who are there to make as much as they can out of FGW), etc

SWT (South West Trains) could run a very limited service Early and late to/from Okie on the back of the first and last trains of the Day from Exeter S D to Waterloo.

The owners of Dartmoor Rail could if they can get around Hugh Loops run a service to Yeoford (Rebuilt Downside platform) and make connections to the Barny Exeter trains But 90% of would be passengers would be lost because of changing trains Better for Dartmoor Rail to build platforms at Coleford Junction.

The best hope for regular trains to Okie would be Open Access but that would need services run from Okie to London, or Birmingham, Manchester etc, where most revenue would come from the Rail Settlement Plan ie pick the pocket  of FGW by running trains to London Grin

Yes I know there are NO spare paths for trains to/from London, but then there were no spare paths to/from London KX for Grand Central. Somehow they run!

i know the dpl is going in at axminster but more sections of double track would increase capacity so so much, maybee bringing in an open access company could create more funding for this and there are so many other issues sad thing is all of these ideas would work and be profitable if it wasnt for stupid conditions of franchises
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 18:46:23 »

Why Open Access?

Why can't SWT (South West Trains) run it as I described above?

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 19:17:29 »

Why Open Access?

Why can't SWT (South West Trains) run it as I described above?

that is actually a really easy way of doing it and the way it should happen
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 19:43:43 »

They'd probably be loosing money by running empty stock to Okehampton which could be rammed full elsewhere on their network.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 20:30:15 »

Ok, peak trains.

And with proper Park and Ride etc. I don't see why a two hourly (for example) service would be empty.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 20:45:38 »

The stock would be better utilised extended to Paignton or Plymouth!

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 20:53:16 »

fgw should have locos and coaches from exmouth to paignton the trains are always packed this would free up lots of units!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 20:54:53 »

And how much longer are the journey times bearing in mind off peak they make 15 stops!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 21:50:31 »

fgw should have locos and coaches from exmouth to paignton the trains are always packed this would free up lots of units!
Shocked

I suppose the stock would be better used for Plymouth services, but the occasional train would be well utilised (i.e. peak).

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 22:32:46 »

And how much longer are the journey times bearing in mind off peak they make 15 stops!

is it really slower for a loco with 4 coaches so quite light to accelerate and slower for passengers to get off (6 doors on a double pacer 8 on 4 coaches,....?)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: