Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:32:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Tunnel Action Group update  (Read 35243 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 20:37:23 »

A far better prospect than slowing InterCity trains down!

Didn't someone suggest building a parkway between Cardiff and Newport recently?

If some people had their way, we'd have the InterCity trains stopping at everywhere bar Acton Main line!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 20:55:04 »

I think it would be a case of "once bitten, twice shy" regarding 2-hour service gaps at Patchway - see http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2006/11/no_beeching_by_stealth.html

The two-hour gaps at Oldfield Park, Keynsham and Patchway mentioned in the link above were all later plugged by FGW (First Great Western) as a result of public pressure, and there would undoubtably be some reluctance on their part to go down that route again.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2009, 21:17:22 »

Tory 10% rail cuts

Whats to say these "10% cuts" (accurate?) cannot be negated by efficiency savings?

If we are going to talk about "cuts", real or imaginary, let's get it right shall we ?

Andrew Lansley (shadow health secretary) actually said "That does mean for three years after 2011 a 10% reduction in the departmental expenditure for other departments". I don't see the word "cut" in there anywhere !

Most of this 10% is actually accounted for in "a reduction in the increases" (if you follow my meaning !) that have been lavished on various Govt depts in the last 10 years AND most of these "cuts" (except, of course, he didn't use such an emotive "Tory" word !) were actually in Alistair Darling's last budget - over 7% in fact - but he called them "a squeeze on spending" !

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2009, 21:42:43 »

I would rather keep the CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) - Padd route a fast Intercity route.  The amount of passengers who want to get too London as quickly as possible from South Wales far outweighs the amount who would travel from STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) to London.

IMO (in my opinion), Intercity trains should just stop at Cities and major towns along a route, therefore providing a fast, long distance service.

Local Suburban services should be the trains to stop at small towns, villages and other small stations along a route, picking up passengers, taking them to the city, where they can connect onto longer distance services.

I cant see the problem with passengers at STJ joining a local CDF - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) service and changing at either Newport or Temple Meads for services to Paddington.  Its what many of us who live in a smaller community have to do. ( i.e. Yate/Cam & Dursley passengers have to change at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) or GCR» (Gloucester - next trains), Trowbridge/BOA passengers have to change at Bath or Westbury ).

IMO, thats how the railway should work, otherwise we would be left with no Intercity trains at all!!!   Angry Huh

Hear ******** hear

Disgruntled long distance cotswolds line user!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 21:49:32 »

Why dont they just run an extra train every hour from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway (FGW (First Great Western) local service) calling at Newport, STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) and Patchway. That way passengers from STJ and Patchway could have a train to Bristol Parkway and connect easily to the London services.

Also I dont understand why there isnt a direct train from Bristol Parkway to either STJ and Patchway.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 21:54:19 »

Because "just" would entail at least two extra diagrams (ie units), four extra train crews, and a scarce path each way through the Severn Tunnel. It would cost a fortune. Say ^2m pa?
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 19:43:25 »

Because "just" would entail at least two extra diagrams (ie units), four extra train crews, and a scarce path each way through the Severn Tunnel. It would cost a fortune. Say ^2m pa?

OK it was only an idea
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 19:45:13 »

If they had the Taunton service start/terminate at Bristol Parkway or Bristol Temple Meads and a seperate service from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-Bristol Parkway then that wouldnt make much difference in terms of units, crew, money and traffic through the tunnel.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 20:50:14 »

Or join them up. ie run the Taunton - Cardiff trains via Parkway, which would be better as it would retain the half hourly service from Bristol to Cardiff. Though the time penalty of around 6 minutes would make the journey less attractive.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 22:25:58 »

Or join them up. ie run the Taunton - Cardiff trains via Parkway, which would be better as it would retain the half hourly service from Bristol to Cardiff. Though the time penalty of around 6 minutes would make the journey less attractive.

Similar to what I said in a previous post on this subject.

Run CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) services via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), and miss out Patchway/Filton or both to minimise timing issues.

An other alternative could be to add BPW onto every other CDF - TAU service ( every 2 hours ), and eliminate Patchway and Filton from it.  I know, very poorly put. Example:

07.15 CDF - TAU calls Newport, STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station), BPW, BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and so on
08.00 CDF - TAU calls Newport, STJ, Patchway, Filton, BRI and so on
09.00 CDF - TAU calls Newport, STJ, BPW, BRI and so on
10.00 CDF - TAU calls Newport, STJ, Patchway, Filton BRI and so on.

You get the picture!!!!!!!

Patchway is not a heavily used station, so a 2 hourly service would be adequate.

This therefore provides a good, quick connection for STJ passengers to connect with HST (High Speed Train)'s at BPW.  Platform 4 could be used for these services. 

Take the 09.00 for example,

Depart STJ at 09.28
Arrive BPW ( approx ) 09.43

Depart BPW 10.00
Arrive Padd 11.28

Total journey time 2 hours ( times approx ).

Passengers who commute from STJ - Filton/Bristol would still have the CDF - PHB services calling at STJ at peak hours.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2009, 22:54:25 »

Loss of Filton stop from North Somerset would be a major retrograde step. And Patchway has doubled usage in 3 years, so although still fairly low, I'm not convinced.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2009, 08:25:50 »

Im only on about losing Filton and Patchway from a few of the services though, ( i.e every other service OP (Original Poster / topic starter) )

Filton still would have an hourly OP BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) - WSM service calling there.

If STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) want a service connecting them quickly with Padd bound HST (High Speed Train)'s, then something has to give to allow this, and IMO (in my opinion), this would be the best solution, affecting the minimal of passengers.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42:26 »

Im only on about losing Filton and Patchway from a few of the services though, ( i.e every other service OP (Original Poster / topic starter) )

I'm slightly confused. Your original post suggested a simple alternate pattern, with services not calling at Patchway/Filton in one hour, and calling in the next, regardless of whether it was during the peak or not.

Also, is the 07.15 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) an additional service, or a replacement for the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:23 »

I'm slightly confused. Your original post suggested a simple alternate pattern, with services not calling at Patchway/Filton in one hour, and calling in the next, regardless of whether it was during the peak or not.

Also, is the 07.15 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) an additional service, or a replacement for the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service?

I did think a simple alternate service would be the best solution.  However, I have since been met with opposition, stating that Patchway would still need a hourly service ( Patchway residents would like to keep the hourly service ).  Therefore I am trying to think of ideas that would benefit both STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station), Patchway and BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)

The simple solution, would therefore be to add BPW to every CDF - TAU service, as well as all the current stops.   Therfore STJ gains a good connection with Padd bound HST (High Speed Train)'s, and no other stations would lose a service(s).  I do think Patchway could accomodate a 2 hourly service, as I did say.  But if Patchway residents consider that degrading, then scrap it!!  Huh

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 15:20:30 »

Basically, anything to prevent HSTs (High Speed Train) stopping at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station)! Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: