Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:56:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 200 new coaches to be brought forward  (Read 20358 times)
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 00:34:39 »

Personally I have a few concerns about losing the 158's and being replaced with a super 150. 1/3 2/3 openings on a planned 'intercity' service would be a retrograde step, why would SWT (South West Trains) etc be trying to get hold of any spare 158 going.

Are there any new builds with end doors?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 12:50:32 »

Personally I have a few concerns about losing the 158's and being replaced with a super 150. 1/3 2/3 openings on a planned 'intercity' service would be a retrograde step, why would SWT (South West Trains) etc be trying to get hold of any spare 158 going.

The problem is that many of FGW (First Great Western)'s services these days have to cover a mix of commuter and long-distance needs in the same journey and for the bits with heavy commuter flows, 1/3 and 2/3 doors keep station dwell times to a minimum.

The station times of HSTs (High Speed Train), Adelantes and Voyagers at the likes of Reading and Oxford in the peaks can be horrendous - and the same applies to 158s when I've used them elsewhere - whereas Turbos load and unload fast, so any extra stock coming to Thames Valley routes really does need 1/3, 2/3 doors. And I'm guessing that on Cardiff-Portsmouth, they would come in very handy for the big city calls in the peaks. The 185s have 1/3, 2/3 doors due to the heavy commuter traffic in TransPennine's area.

If you fit the right quality of interior, you can still give a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) the right feel for longer-distance work. I don't think anyone's envisaging 3+2 seating on Cardiff-Portsmouth.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 13:03:32 »

If you fit the right quality of interior, you can still give a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) the right feel for longer-distance work. I don't think anyone's envisaging 3+2 seating on Cardiff-Portsmouth.

Agree, the Class 170s are the same, and the Scotrail versions would certainly be an acceptable ambience for the Portsmouth line.   
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 18:45:47 »

The problem is that many of FGW (First Great Western)'s services these days have to cover a mix of commuter and long-distance needs in the same journey and for the bits with heavy commuter flows, 1/3 and 2/3 doors keep station dwell times to a minimum.

lol, I would agree if the 20 min lay over at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) was removed.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 21:20:45 »

It seems to me that what this post is beginning to show is that the same DMU cannot be both a suburban/branch  and a cross country unit.

Agree choice is now only a 185 a ^2 million a coach and grossley overpowered and a 172 at around a ^1 million a coach.

Which is why loco and coaches is begging to look viable both for IC (Inter City) and Cross Country. Especialy if there is further electrification which enabl Cardiff Portsmaouth to be eletric may be dual voltage but that doesn't seem to be problem these days.

The great advantage seems to me that coaches are relatively cheap, give a better journey experience, no diesel engine under the floor, and last a lot longer, consider the remaining Mark 1s on charters. They can be hauled by diesel or electric and thus aren't redundant when the wires go up. Performance under the wires should be better than a high powered DMU with considerably less carbon emissions.  It should also encourage sensible infill electrification to eliminate loco changes on through routes.  Anglia had different length sets which they carefully rostered throughout the day to meet demand.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 21:37:23 »

Oh how I would love to see a return of loco and coaches to everyday service on long distance services currently provided by DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). As willc says they provide so much more flexability and last a lot longer too.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 00:30:58 »

Oh how I would love to see a return of loco and coaches to everyday service on long distance services currently provided by DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). As willc says they provide so much more flexability and last a lot longer too.

Well, there's a flip side in respect to flexibility too in so much as you either need to top-and-tail the locos or have turn-round facilities which take up space and huge amounts of time. Also, the loss of one engine on a DMU isn't curtains like it is when a loco fails. I can certainly see certain areas benefiting from that type of traction though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 10:15:34 »

Well, there's a flip side in respect to flexibility too in so much as you either need to top-and-tail the locos or have turn-round facilities which take up space and huge amounts of time. Also, the loss of one engine on a DMU isn't curtains like it is when a loco fails. I can certainly see certain areas benefiting from that type of traction though.

One of teh comments made by the DafT in their anti electrification phase was that electric traction was too compicated. Hopefully they've begun to get message that once you've got infrastructure EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) are a far simplier beast than DMU. Hence the best EMUs getting 50K between failures whilst most DMUs are luky to get 10K.

To make locos haulage viable auto couplers with a power connection for coach domestics would be required. Although you could use a generator van (old Mark2) when under diesel and a pan on the DVT(resolve). As for layouts  a couple of crossovers at right places would solve the problem although hope fully with clever infill electrification a loco change on many routes  may not be needed e.g Euston Blackpool.

You could have a dual voltage electric loco hauled service from Bournmouth or anywhere else on the Southern) to Norwich with a few yards of conductor rail between the juctions at Kew and Bollo Lane.  What about wires between Acton main line and Acton Wells and and Dudding Hill and Acton Canal Wharf junction to Willesden. Loco hauled electrics from Heathrow to Birmingham and Manchester. EMU shuttles  Luton (Airport) Heathrow.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 10:36:45 »

I don't believe SWT had any real issues with the 170's layout or door location, after all they have plenty of 450s on long runs with 1/3 2/3 doors. The primary reason was that they wanted a common fleet type with better casualty figures.  A fleet with gangways for revenue protection, ease of passenger movement for SDO (Selective Door Opening), and catering trolley access were additional benefits.

The above was mentioned by SWT management when the first overhauled 159/1 was introduced to the press at Salisbury. What wasn't publicly mentioned was the possibility that leasing costs were better for an older fleet owned by one Rosco, if you recall they also released two 158s from whatever the otrher Rosco was...
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 13:13:12 »

Although it would be nice to see loco hauled ie a 47 with DBSO (Driving Brake Standard Open (carriage)) as Anglia and ScotRail had, I appreciate it is highly unlikely now.

I can also see where 1/3 2/3 arrangement allows rapid detrain, but at this time of year that also goes for all the warm air.  Sad Not very pleasant at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) on some services which hang around for 10 mins or more, any new build would clearly have to have timed auto shut doors. Without having experience of the ScotRail 170's the Portsmouth Cardiff's will have to have adequate luggage capacity. And after travelling to Gatwick recently it had better be better than that stock. Angry

Currently the 158's are dual role and clearly unsuited, unfortunately I can't find the reference, but if a recent quote from FGW (First Great Western) is to be believed then one interpretation is that there are plans for the route over and above the new stock, which I take as a possible timetable revamp.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 18:26:30 »

turbostars have auto shut doors so that will help keep in the heat,also if they had auto shutting interior doors like LM (London Midland - recent franchise) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) 170's that would be better still.
luggage space is down to the TOC (Train Operating Company) ordering them basically they choose space or extra seats,i agree though pompey-cardiff do need decent luggage space. if 172's are destined for FGW (First Great Western) land then the lets hope the management have experienced a pompey run on friday afternoon to see how busy they are.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 18:33:30 »

The beauty of them is that they will be 4 coaches, so a massive compromise on luggage space wont be required in order to provide seating.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 18:38:12 »

First class as well?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 18:52:32 »

The beauty of them is that they will be 4 coaches, so a massive compromise on luggage space wont be required in order to provide seating.

Except no-one has actually come up with any hard facts about formations yet, nor explained how any extra stock for the Thames Valley fits in, which as I pointed out earlier, was where DafT projected most extra FGW (First Great Western) stock was going - a need which hasn't suddenly disappeared, unless Crossrail does actually make it to Reading, which might change things.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 00:26:13 by willc » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 20:05:16 »

First class as well?
I think there should be as there would be a market for it.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: