05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 08:30:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[88] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[27] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western - West Of England to Axminster  (Read 8259 times)
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2008, 17:38:02 »

I notice that First Great Western is to cover Exeter to Axminster in it's new Devon only timetable this December.
- are they really operating services on this route or are they just producing this timetable to highlight their onward connections, prehaps to compete with the Waterloo line for passengers from stations such as Axminster and Honiton?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 19:42:41 »

i thought it was just for connections are those stations not in a lighter font on the timetable?
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 21:17:57 »

I would imagine that they are showing the SWT (South West Trains) connections, as these are currently the TOC (Train Operating Company) that operates between Exeter and Axminster.

If FGW (First Great Western) were to operate services between Exeter and Axminster, I would of thought they would of continued to Yeovil or Salisbury, as Axminster is not a station where I could see services terminating.  It would cause more congestion to an already congested line.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:05:21 »

Are these connections to and from West Devon and Cornwall?

Anyone to London is going to go via SWT (South West Trains).

I suppose if you were going for several days you might go via Exeter to Bristol and the North, otherwise you'd probaly drive to Tiverton Parkway.

Freinds of ours now regularly use SWT to Clapham Junction from Axminister to visit family. They book in advance and get incredably cheap fares far less than their petrol costs and they don't have the bother of parking in Wandsworth.

Which goes to show rail travel at a sensible price is very attractive.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:44:01 »

I was under the impression that SWT (South West Trains) did not offer cheap advance fares, apart from the inflexible Megatrain which rarely has ^1 fares!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:55:22 »

I was under the impression that SWT (South West Trains) did not offer cheap advance fares, apart from the inflexible Megatrain which rarely has ^1 fares!
It does do a good range of Advance fares which I have used on numerous occasions this year.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 14:11:58 »

I think SWT (South West Trains)'s advance fare map and price list is one of the most easily understood around, especially since they changed to 'Advance' being singles only. Prior to May they were still offering Super Apexs (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) and such like, possibly being one of the last TOCs (Train Operating Company) to do so:

(Network Rail - home page)/rdonlyres/342EF0FA-3CD8-43B1-B11A-E3417A8AAADD/0/SWTAdvancefaresmap2.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/342EF0FA-3CD8-43B1-B11A-E3417A8AAADD/0/SWTAdvancefaresmap2.pdf

It's fair to say they don't offer Advance fares within 'commuter land' though...

Paul

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 16:37:09 »

I notice that First Great Western is to cover Exeter to Axminster in it's new Devon only timetable this December.
- are they really operating services on this route or are they just producing this timetable to highlight their onward connections, prehaps to compete with the Waterloo line for passengers from stations such as Axminster and Honiton?

The answer lies in your own quote, it's a Devon services timetable therefore by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) rules all devon services are shown, however it was too differcult for the FGW (First Great Western) Idiots to put the Exeter-Axminster line on the front cover map.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 19:03:55 »

I think SWT (South West Trains)'s advance fare map and price list is one of the most easily understood around, especially since they changed to 'Advance' being singles only. Prior to May they were still offering Super Apexs (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) and such like, possibly being one of the last TOCs (Train Operating Company) to do so:

(Network Rail - home page)/rdonlyres/342EF0FA-3CD8-43B1-B11A-E3417A8AAADD/0/SWTAdvancefaresmap2.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/342EF0FA-3CD8-43B1-B11A-E3417A8AAADD/0/SWTAdvancefaresmap2.pdf

It's fair to say they don't offer Advance fares within 'commuter land' though...

Paul

Something worth a mention is that if you pay an extra ^2 on your "advance" ticket to London you can travel right across the London travel area.
My daughter travels from Warminster to Rochester in Kent. If she buys a ticket to W'loo then one to Rochester that costs her ^4 more than an "advance" + ^2 to "Abbey Wood" (Kent not Bristol !) and a ticket from Abbey Wood to Rochester.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 22:16:56 »

The answer lies in your own quote, it's a Devon services timetable therefore by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) rules all devon services are shown, however it was too differcult for the FGW (First Great Western) Idiots to put the Exeter-Axminster line on the front cover map.
Why would FGW put it on their timetables? They don't run any services there. Surely its up to SWT (South West Trains) to provide this info.( P.S. I know you can't stand FGW smokey!)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 16:22:39 »

It is actually on the timetables and is fairly useful. Just a shame about the rest of book B which is a disaster!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 20:59:27 »

The prices on south west trains make me laugh.

Assume you want to get from Gillingham (Dorset) to Exeter

If you book an advance First Class ticket from London - Exeter Via Salisbury - Gillingham - Axminster it will cost you ^20 for a First Class single.

Now you buy a ticket from Gillingham (Dorset) First Class to Exeter and it will cost you ^34.50 for a walkup ticket.

So its cheaper to buy a ticket for the same train for a longer journey than a much shorter journey. I know it has restrictions but lets assume you know your going to be on that train.

I tried it once this way and booked the advanced ticket. The ticket collector simply frowned at me for ever so slightly cheating the system... Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 21:07:00 »

The prices on south west trains make me laugh.

Assume you want to get from Gillingham (Dorset) to Exeter

If you book an advance First Class ticket from London - Exeter Via Salisbury - Gillingham - Axminster it will cost you ^20 for a First Class single.

Now you buy a ticket from Gillingham (Dorset) First Class to Exeter and it will cost you ^34.50 for a walkup ticket.

So its cheaper to buy a ticket for the same train for a longer journey than a much shorter journey. I know it has restrictions but lets assume you know your going to be on that train.

I tried it once this way and booked the advanced ticket. The ticket collector simply frowned at me for ever so slightly cheating the system... Tongue

How long ago? Since May all Advance tickets are explicitly barred from starting long or ending short as well as break of journey, the T&C were changed to be common for all operators. Many Tocs, such as GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) in their heyday, would have taken it a lot further...

Paul
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 22:10:15 »

it was about 2 or 3 months ago. I knew about the break of journey not being allowed except to change trains shown on your ticket. but I wasn't aware that you couldn't start the journey late or end early. My understanding was this for example

If you booked and advanced ticket from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington on the 12:30. If you decided to board the 12:43 at Bath Spa then why would that be a problem because it is the exact same train on the same route. All that is different is that you have boarded a stop later.

If say the train started from W-S-M and you had your ticket booked from Bristol then yes of course I would pay for a ticket from W-S-M To Bristol Temple Meads without any form of questioning that.

The whole system to be honest is confusing to someone who doesn't know anything about rail travel or ticketing and these are the type of people who get taken advantage of by the system.

I sharn't continue down this line of conversation in this post as this would take the post completely off the OP (Original Poster / topic starter)'s topic

Grin Grin Grin Grin
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 14:59:33 »

Why would you board the train at Bath Spa.  You bought a ticket from Bristol and for Advance tickets that is where you must start your journey.  If you want to  travel from Bath then you must buy the ticket from Bath in the first place
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: