06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 00:42:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A tale of what poor train regulation can lead to...  (Read 2833 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2008, 20:49:20 »

Here's an example of what can happen when trains are regulated badly by Network Rail on the Cotswold Line.

I was at Worcester Shrub Hill tonight, intent on boarding the 17:26 to Oxford. As it was the 16:30 from Hereford, I was watching it on the Live Departures Board on my phone and saw it was 15 minutes late leaving Hereford. That became 20 minutes late at Great Malvern and I started to get that sinking feeling that I was in for a long journey.

The automatic announcements at Shrub Hill were frequent, but contradictory. First it was 11 minutes late, then 7, then 9, 14, 17, and back to 11. All of these were announced and anyone waiting must have wondered whether anybody had a clue when it would actually arrive. A similar spate of announcements greeted passengers waiting the 17:33 to Birmingham!

Anyway we eventually left Shrub Hill at 17:41, 15 minutes late. Not too bad as a bit of padding had allowed the train to make up 5 minutes of the delay. To my dismay we then slowed to a stop at Norton Junction at 17:45. The decision had been made to allow the 17:49 to leave Evesham bound for Shrub Hill in front of us. What a silly decision. We sat at Norton for 20 minutes waiting for the 17:49 to leave Evesham and traverse the single line.

A clear run through to Moreton-In-Marsh followed and we arrived there to see the 18:28 Malvern service sat in the down platform. It was delayed by 20 minutes waiting for us. I then looked at my timetable and got that sinking feeling again - the next down train would leave Oxford at 18:50 and as we would only be at Kingham by then, I was fairly confident we would get stopped again at Ascott. This duly happened and we sat there for 15 minutes looking out into the blackness. Eventual arrival time at Oxford was 19:34. That's 55 minutes late and a total journey time of just under 2 hours from Worcester to Oxford.

So, as a result, we were 55 minutes late. The 16:42 Paddington-Malvern was 20 minutes late, and the 18:25 Worcester-Paddington was delayed 15 minutes at Evesham as a result. There may be further knock-on delays that I am not aware of.

Now imagine what would have happened if we hadn't been stopped at Norton Junction: We left Shrub Hill 15 minutes late, with a clear run and a little padding, we would probably have arrived at Oxford 10 minutes late.

The 15:42 Paddington-Shrub Hill would have waited for us at Evesham and would have been delayed by 15 minutes (at the most). That would have probably meant its return working, the 18:25 from Worcester Shrub Hill to London, would have left about 10 minutes late by the time the crew had changed ends. That would have then probably put 10 minutes of a delay into the 16:42 Paddington-Malvern service.

Compare the delays:
What happened was 55+0+20+15 = 90 minutes
What should have happened: 10+15+10+10 = 45 minutes

Until those responsible have the foresight to look ahead, silly added delays like this will continue to happen. Perhaps there needs to be more staff to allow controllers the time to research the best option, perhaps those that do the job are not up to it? All I know is that I'm going to need most of the bottle of Chablis I've just opened to calm me down!  Wink Rant over.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 22:47:52 »

The automatic announcements at Shrub Hill were frequent, but contradictory. First it was 11 minutes late, then 7, then 9, 14, 17, and back to 11. All of these were announced and anyone waiting must have wondered whether anybody had a clue when it would actually arrive. A similar spate of announcements greeted passengers waiting the 17:33 to Birmingham!

This is normal for Digital Doris and the CISs (Customer Information System) at Worcester. At least she did not tell you the train would be departing from platform 3 (a south facing bay at WSH)!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:38:44 »

Compare the delays:
What happened was 55+0+20+15 = 90 minutes
What should have happened: 10+15+10+10 = 45 minutes

Very interesting, I think your table above highlights the problems with the way lateness is currently measured.

In my days on the Southern we added all the delay minutes and divided by the number of trains to give average lateness as well as the % of trains late. I think the threshold was 3 late.

Thus in your example what happened would have given an average dealy of 22.5 minutes. Whereas what could have happened is an average delay of 11.25.

Nowadays the measure seems to be percentage of trains over 5 late compared with total trains run. Thus what happened is best because only 3 out of 4 trains were over 5 late or 25% on time whereas, what could have happened is 4 out of 4 trains 5 late or 0% on time.

Is my assumption correct?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:54:47 »

Nowadays the measure seems to be percentage of trains over 5 late compared with total trains run. Thus what happened is best because only 3 out of 4 trains were over 5 late or 25% on time whereas, what could have happened is 4 out of 4 trains 5 late or 0% on time.

Is my assumption correct?

Pretty much. Ask any commuter whether, over a two week period for example, they'd rather be on time three days, and six minutes late the other seven days. Or, on time seven days and an hour late on three occasions and they'd all say the former. However as the PPM(resolve) is measured the figures would be recorded as 30% and 70% respectively.

I've always wondered whether a better performance measuring system would be based on the average delay at every given station on the trains route. It would dissuade TOC (Train Operating Company)'s from just adding loads of minutes between the penultimate and final stop of the train, and encourage NR» (Network Rail - home page) to look at the wider picture. With about 70% of stations now having automatic timing reports for each train generated, and many more getting manual reports from the associated signal box - this may not be as difficult as people think?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 14:08:59 »

Thanks for confirming my suspistions.

It used to be very annoying when in the Down Peak from Padd if the semi for Taplow was late for any reason you'd be held to leave behind the next stopper to Slough (pre Dec 2004!) and thus be around 20/25 late at Slough after say a 7 late at Padd. It always struck me then that it was the PPM(resolve)  at fault. As you had one trian on time and one very late  50% punctual rather than 2 late but only by a few minutes each at 0% punctual.

Given the padding in the timetable, even then, if the semi was given a clear run it could have knocked a couple of minutes off by Slough and the stopper would leave a couple of minutes down. It is likely both would be under 5 minutes before the end of their journies and thus 100% punctual.

As poster elesewhere padding between teh last stations leads to sloppy working.

I also agree with your comments that a few minutes down on more journies is better than an hour down on fewer journies.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: