Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 13:37:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure alteration for electrification  (Read 11771 times)
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:33:07 »

Yesterday as a blue sky and I had the day off I walked the old line from Yelverton into Plymouth and then on to Laira bridge. When passing under the new[ish] Marsh Mills concrete A38 flyover I could not help but notice the headroom of the track on the main line. A Voyager went under and it did not look as though there is enough clearance for an overhead catenary. The problem looked worse on the up line under the up slip road. Surely a modern structure such as this must have been constructed allowing for the required headroom?

This led me on to thinking what other structures would need altering before OHLE could be installed? If mainly a lot of small road overbridges then they could be done fairly quickly in advance.

As the Government is looking for quick public works with a lot of labour content then this could be ideal as it would give work to the construction industry that is suffering a downturn. Come the day of OHLE installation the works trains could work more efficiently as the preparatory work would have been completed.

Perhaps I am being too simplistic but I would be interested to know what quantity of structures would be involved. I am sure one of the members must have an idea?

(1555 train back to Cornwall was a 150 and horrendously crowded, not good as this train hits the jackpot of all stations from Plymouth to Penzance. It also sounded as if the driver was having trouble as it spent a lot of its time crawling along coasting with the occasional burst of power.)

Web site still very good.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 13:01:29 »

The extra clearance needed is not as large as some people think, and in some situations the required height can be achieved by lowering the track slightly. Our resident expert, 'ElectricTrain', might be able to elaborate further?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 19:02:27 »

agree lowering track is an option,i believe this is going to be happening in the tunnel coming out of southampton to accomodate the continental freight wagons in the not too distant future.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 19:09:06 »

I don't think electrification is likely to reach Plymouth though due to the Dawlish sea wall and the loading gauge in the Dawlish tunnels.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 20:06:10 »

what are the downsides to '3rd rail'
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 20:09:56 »

I suspect as it is a lower voltage it requires more lineside equipment to keep the voltage up (greater losses over a shorter distance) so it is better suited to areas where there are a lot of stations already there. Also I would guess that it simply doesn't deliver as much "grunt" as overhead.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 20:16:43 »

Mayor problem with 3rd rail is Elf & safety, whilst Fill in schemes are allowed, NEW 3rd rail schemes are Not premitted on Elf & Safety grounds.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 20:24:44 »

Max speed of 100 mph (the world record held by a Wessex Electric is only about 115 I think!).

I could give a rant about my views on Health and Safety, but I'll spare everyone.

Just two words- common sense.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 20:59:48 »

thankyou guys i suspected it was safty reasons i always did think it was silly and tbh dangerous
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 21:20:07 »

Web site still very good.

Well, thank you, FarWestJohn!  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 21:55:35 »

The extra clearance needed is not as large as some people think, and in some situations the required height can be achieved by lowering the track slightly. Our resident expert, 'ElectricTrain', might be able to elaborate further?
A dynamic (ie after contact wire is lifted by the passage of the pan) clearance of around 600mm between any live components and anything at earth potential, in some very special cases the clearance is less by using insulating covering on the under side of bridges.

It has been policy since the early 1980's that any new structures needed to take into account any future 25kV electrification some exceptions are the SR(resolve) and a few other areas, my guess is the route to Plymouth would need to take 25kV into account.  The use of dual voltage was abandoned in the 1970's the lines such as Liverpool St to Shenfield, Fenchurch to Southend and around Glasgow used 6.25kV where there were low bridges, this added complications such as out of sequence controls in substations to allow for emergency moving failed trains and extra line side equipment to step the voltage down dual voltage stock etc

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 00:22:53 »

A dynamic (ie after contact wire is lifted by the passage of the pan) clearance of around 600mm between any live components and anything at earth potential, in some very special cases the clearance is less by using insulating covering on the under side of bridges.

It has been policy since the early 1980's that any new structures needed to take into account any future 25kV electrification some exceptions are the SR(resolve) and a few other areas, my guess is the route to Plymouth would need to take 25kV into account.  The use of dual voltage was abandoned in the 1970's the lines such as Liverpool St to Shenfield, Fenchurch to Southend and around Glasgow used 6.25kV where there were low bridges, this added complications such as out of sequence controls in substations to allow for emergency moving failed trains and extra line side equipment to step the voltage down dual voltage stock etc

Top-notch bit of elaboration there!  Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:30 »

Another problem initialy with the 6.25/25kv mix was the strain it put on the board equipment on the units such that it caused the transformers to blow up. This was especialy so in Glasgow where it was first used. I believe unfortunately there might have been fatalities on a train when its transformer blew. It was so bad that all EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) were withdrawn and some steam locos and stock were hastily put back into service. Although the units did come back into use with strengthened transformers and proved very successful, such that Glasgow now has an almost all electric suburban service with new lines and stations.

There were also several instances out of Liverpool Street particularly on the services via Hackney Downs.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:34:03 by eightf48544 » Logged
woody

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 13:15:06 »

agree lowering track is an option,i believe this is going to be happening in the tunnel coming out of southampton to accomodate the continental freight wagons in the not too distant future.
Regards the forthcoming blockade of one of the twin bore Marley tunnel between Totnes and Plymouth(Engineering work between Newton Abbot and Plymouth from Monday 26 until Friday 30 January 2009) does anyone know if lowering of the track for possible future electrification is being undertaken as part of the work.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 06:14:39 »

Regards the forthcoming blockade of one of the twin bore Marley tunnel between Totnes and Plymouth(Engineering work between Newton Abbot and Plymouth from Monday 26 until Friday 30 January 2009) does anyone know if lowering of the track for possible future electrification is being undertaken as part of the work.

No, NR» (Network Rail - home page) are not that far sighted enough. 

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: