Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 06:17:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: December Timetable Changes - positive and negative  (Read 10523 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 06, 2008, 18:29:33 »

December each year brings timetable changes, and this weekend we have some causes for celebration, some causes for worry and frankly some causes for despair.

For the first time for a number of years, there's to be train service to and from Newquay at morning and evening commuter times, in addition to the middle-of-the-day and mid evening service; has to be sensible for a town of some 20,000!

The worries this year revolve around a loss of rolling stock - with a number of class 142 units being send "up North" / replaced in part by the return of FGW (First Great Western) units now that the refurbishment program is supposed to be completed.  And I understand there's a further loss of stock to Arriva Trains Wales as they're pulling back at least some of the units that have been on loan to FGW.  There's a further natural concern that we have another change in the "man at the top" - I'm sure that Mark Hopwood, who we welcome in the role, will do a good job and we hope that he'll continue the progress and steps forward made by Andrew Haines with his improvements on the Cardiff - Portsmouth and Newquay lines amonst others.

Despair comes on the TransWilts. Another town of 20,000 - Melksham - and in addition the line that links the largest population centres in the county (all five of them) - still has a gap in service from 06:15 in the morning until 18:45 at night; it's frankly a service that seems designed to meet the Department for Transport's specification for the franchise, and not the needs of the travelling public. First Great Western took over a rapidly building service on 1st April 2006 and cut most of the trains back to this ridiculous travesty the following December. Draft improvements, along the Newquay lines of filling in the gaps, were prepared for this December but in the end came to nowt;  quite absurd, considering that there's 5000 new homes going in to each of Trowbridge and Chippenham in the next few years, and 1000 already planned / approved underway in Melksham.

So the pictures at the head of "The Coffeeshop" for December have a festive look - and at the same time act as a reminder of the crass service on the TransWilts, a warning to others of some of the silly things that are done to train services if you turn your back for a moment, and to demonstrate that - even with such a service - you can get passengers on the trains.  Think, Mr Hopwood, Mr Feist, Mr West, Mr Crow, Ms de Rhe-Philippe, Lord Adonis and others ... you would really do us a huge service, stimulate the local economy, help the environment ... by "doing us a Newquay" and running that single train back and forth exactly as your own staff (in all three organisations - DfT» (Department for Transport - about), FGW and Council) have recommended as being appropriate.

Here are the pictures from the top of the forum for this month ...

Crowds wait to board the ONLY northbound train at Melksham Last Sunday ...

... knowing that Santa Claus would be on board!

There's a lot of people travelling from West Wiltshire to and from Swindon ...

... but between 07:02 to 19:35 every Monday to Friday, the lack of a train forces them on to the overcrowded roads.

The sad sight of a deserted station - but run the train and it will be used!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:54:52 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 21:11:22 »

Melksham would benefit from a Sailsbury-Oxford service, for example.

Not only would you be able to travel from Melksham-Swindon, for connections to Reading, Padd, Cardiff & South Wales, and from Melksham-Westbury for connections to Frome, Bath, BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), Taunton, Weymouth, Exeter and the South West, but in addition Salisbury would then have a direct service to the GW (Great Western) main line, Swindon would have a direct service to Oxford, and Oxford would have a direct service to large selection of Wiltshire stations.

This would therefore provide an increased service to Melksham, and at the same time make the services more profitable to FGW (First Great Western)!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:44:25 »

Melksham would benefit from a Sailsbury-Oxford service, for example.

Not only would you be able to travel from Melksham-Swindon, for connections to Reading, Padd, Cardiff & South Wales, and from Melksham-Westbury for connections to Frome, Bath, BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), Taunton, Weymouth, Exeter and the South West, but in addition Salisbury would then have a direct service to the GW (Great Western) main line, Swindon would have a direct service to Oxford, and Oxford would have a direct service to large selection of Wiltshire stations.

This would therefore provide an increased service to Melksham, and at the same time make the services more profitable to FGW (First Great Western)!

Such a service is possible with the use of 3xclass 180s (but it requires two track from Thingly - Bradford Jn
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:51:56 »

I would imagine the service could still occur with the current single track from Thingley Jnc-Bradford Jnc.

Im not sure exactly how long it takes a train to travel from Thingley Jnc-Bradford Jnc as I have never used this route before, but lets just say it takes 30mins.

It would therefore be very comfortable to run a 2 hourly service in each direction along this line, without the risk for causing back up delays.

This would increase the service to Melksham dramactically from the 2 trains a day it currently receives.

Im sure our Melksham friends in this Forum would take that quite happily right now!!!   Cheesy

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:54:07 »

Trowbridge - Melksham 9 minutes
Melksham - Chippenham 13 minutes or so
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:59:43 »

Thankyou for that information Devon_Metro!

This now means my above post would therefore be easily operational!!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 20:11:11 »

Hi folks ... I'm going to follow up with some brief inputs / comments; much appreciate the thoughts / interets by the way - if my comments look a little cold it's because I've just ridden on a First Bus from a freezing Bath bus station that was 25 minutes late  Wink

20 minutes, Bradford Junction to Thingley Junction, with (currently) sufficient paths for at least our "first step" train every three hours ... and probably OK for a train every two hours.   Big issue is a resilience one, as there are no extra loops anywhere at Trowbridge or Chippenham where a train waiting for the single line can be stored while another (delayed) train comes off it without clogging up one main line or the other.

Service on from Swindon to Oxford would be BRILLIANT ... and, yes, get other traffic too. However, there is concern at running 90 m.p.h. stock from Swindon to Didcot where there are 4 or 5 125s per hour on the track already, and at providing extra seats along a part of a line where there are already an awful lot of seats which aren't crammed to overcrowding.   

The Bristol - Oxford service was (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) doomed when First took over Thames Trains; there was little point in them competing with themselves when the judgement was that the majority of passengers would put up with the inconvenience of a Didcot change. I know that wasn't the excuse given .... but I'm minded of a conversation within the last three months with a very senior FGW (First Great Western) person who told me that Trowbridge / Westbury to Chippenham / Swindon tickets had NOT fallen as they expected, with people travelling via Bath, and the guy asked me "why should we consider them in the equation for a better direct service when they'll stand to Bath and change there?" and commercially he has a point.

Very interestingly, First WOULD consider a turnback at Chippenham very favourably rather than run yet more seats up from there to Swindon - "1000 an hour and not filled", and if it could be done robustly (with the extra platform back in use at Chippenham it could, but that is expensive due to track re-alignment) it would be thre preferable option - a 2-hourly Salisbury to Chippenham.

But here's another thought from me.   Who has a depot actually on the lins at Salisbury ... and might they be interested in running a service up there which could extend in due course to Bletchley or Bedford.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 20:59:36 »

Aaah, good point Graham!  SWT (South West Trains)'s could compete for a Salisbury-Chippenham service too.

On another of your points, imbetween Swindon and Didcot there is a few miles of relief line in both directions where a 90mph service could be placed if a HST (High Speed Train) was catching it up. 

Perhaps otherwise think of another option, how about a Swindon - Newbury service!

Just trying my hardest for extra trains for Melksham!  Huh Undecided

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 21:40:19 »

Although I hate PPMs(resolve), where is the Stourbridge line's one going? (they have ordered two new ones for the time table change)

I am sure they could rattle a bus a PPM up and down the line a few times!

Come on!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 22:51:14 »

Do they meet crashworthy requirements for the main line?
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 00:27:04 »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PPM(resolve)?

I always used the Oxford - BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) service on a regular basis to swindon, and sometimes to BTM, simply because the bus from Oxford to Swindon takes an age to get there.  I prefer direct routes, partly because it's simpler and partly because i seem to have bad luck everytime i travel, and no doubt something would go wrong so reinstating a service from Oxford to Swindon would be brilliant Smiley
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 00:35:34 »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PPM(resolve)?

A Parry People Mover. Basically a glorified Tonka Toy.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:08 »

I do agree with Steve!!  A direct service from Oxford to Swindon, and maybe further into Wiltshire ( e.g Melksham/Trowbridge/Westbury ) would be most pleasing! 

It would take a good 20mins of the journey, as a change at Didcot would not be necessary!  The service could just avoid Didcot altogether by using the "West Curve"!!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 19:41:39 »

Tbh, PPMs(resolve) shouldn't be allowed anywhere, unless it is either that or closure!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 20:48:54 »

I would have thought they were absolutely fine for trundling up and down a half mile branch line that is completely segregated from the main line. Which is what they will be doing on the Stourbridge branch. (only other service that I could see them being used for is the Cardiff Bay branch when it's heritage dmu finally expires.)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: