27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 11:52:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: More distorted ticket prices  (Read 7897 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 13:42:13 »

The ticket says to be used only with reservations. Do some people really suffer from a complete lack of common sense?

What is doesn't say is that if you travel on the next train you will be charged a second full fare (and possibly a penalty fare) and that money already paid will not be taken into account.  It might be obvious to some people but there are plenty of people who don't know how the system works.  The ignorant are sometimes people new to rail and it is bad business practice to start fining new customers even if they couldn't be bothered to read the small print if it means that they never travel on a train again.  In the current issue of Rail Barry Doe reports on a passenger who had an open ticket and reservation who didn't realise that his ticket was valid on any train that day.  You also hear of people who think that they need to buy a separate ticket for each leg of their journey when they are changing trains.   Previous postings on this forum reveal that some members didn't realise that an advanced fare might be able to be refunded at a ticket office for a handling charge (this is all teh kind of information you get printed on an airline ticket.

I am all for coming down hard on fare evaders but the flip side of this is that information on ticket validity as well as the consequences of travelling outside of it need to be explained much better- otherwise in addition to the fraudulent, you end up presecuting people who are merely stupid, lazy, confused or ignorant and who might make good customers if they could only be educated.

So come on TOCs (Train Operating Company).  Lets have better information on the back of tickets and if you wan't people to buy before they board how about painting this message on doors of your trains?  I know it is pandering to the stupid, but I can't see it doing any harm.   
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:56 »

Yes I thought I read on this forum that advanced fares could be refunded. I remember APEX fares could not. What confuses me and does not help is when you actually go to FGW (First Great Western) ticket site. I have just tried this

Cardiff to London going out on the 10th February after 9.00 am and return 12th February after 12.00, the first screen comes up single tickets no advance singles are refundable but the 60.00 pound off-peak single is. Therefore on that page the cheapest flexable return ticket is 120.00 before peak.

If you go to the return page, bearing in mind I asked for a return you are presented with a off-peak return at 61.00 pound which is refundable.

Like I said I now think I understand the ticket prices but it is still confusing and would it not be easier for everybody if they put something like Non Refudable / changeable on the screen.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 10:57:28 »

I am all for coming down hard on fare evaders but the flip side of this is that information on ticket validity as well as the consequences of travelling outside of it need to be explained much better- otherwise in addition to the fraudulent, you end up presecuting people who are merely stupid, lazy, confused or ignorant and who might make good customers if they could only be educated.

So come on TOCs (Train Operating Company).  Lets have better information on the back of tickets and if you wan't people to buy before they board how about painting this message on doors of your trains?  I know it is pandering to the stupid, but I can't see it doing any harm.   
If the government bodies meant all their fine words in numerous documents about "modal shift" they would address these issues. However for them it is enough that the train companies can advertise a ticket from Penzance to Aberdeen for a fiver.

There seems to be a school of thought that people ought to be prepared to make the effort to learn all the Mysteries of Railway Ticketing. Whyever should they? if they find it too much hassle they will drive. When you drive you don't have to plan your journey 12 weeks in advance to avoid paying 10 times as much for your petrol. When you drive you don't have to take a detour adding 100 miles to your journey because it's a Saturday. When you drive you are guaranteed a seat in your car. And so on.

I'm not against "demand management" altogether... some kind of premium for peak services is reasonable to spread demand and make more efficient use of resources. But the current ticketing situation is absurd and perverse. And the government's long term strategy is not to have less of the "demand management" on the railways.... instead, they want to progressively introduce it on the roads.... maybe when the London congestion charge reaches ^200 per day there will actually be some "modal shift" back to the railways.  Roll Eyes
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:01:14 »

The solution would be to allow you to print your own tickets at home.  I know that there are issues with forgery, but there are ways around this (afterall the Royal Mail lets you print your own stamps and can check to see if they are genuine)
Like this ticket I printed before leaving for India:

Passenger no 1 has to have the ID card with the stated number, otherwise the ticket is not valid. In Britain, as guards have credit card terminals, it should be sufficient to carry the card used to buy the ticket online.

I have got a few of those.  Darn good system IMO (in my opinion) and it works very well.  The scrum for unreserved 2nd class at Mumbai CST is almost as bad as the morning scenes at Yate though. Grin
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:42 »

The move towards a book in advance or pay expensive fares system is not helping with any modal shift.  If anything it's making the car more attractive as it does not cost you more if you don't plan your journey in advance.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:08:11 by Zoe » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:13 »

The move towards a book in advance or pay expensive fares system is not helping with any modal shift.  If anything it's making the car more attractive as you does not cost you more if you don't plan your journey in advance.

Well said, but then the Ministry of Motoring (DafT) doesn't actually want people to switch to rail as it would mean more investment to cater for the extra passengers.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 12:10:15 »

Well said, but then the Ministry of Motoring (DafT) doesn't actually want people to switch to rail as it would mean more investment to cater for the extra passengers.
Yes but they also don't want to invest in road building and tell people they should get out of their cars.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 15:33:36 »

The only reasonable way to implement a reasonable ticket price structure is to price all journeys by disatance, and whether they use a station or line at peak time.

The arcane pricing method that currently allows me to save ^25 per week by buying two weekly season tickets, rather that one is maddening.

Ticket types should be

open - any day, any train on that day
day open - any train on a set day
fixed - specific train on a set day

and the cost of the ticket should relate to distance travelled, and congestion of the route.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 17:54:07 »

The only reasonable way to implement a reasonable ticket price structure is to price all journeys by disatance, and whether they use a station or line at peak time.

The arcane pricing method that currently allows me to save ^25 per week by buying two weekly season tickets, rather that one is maddening.

Ticket types should be

open - any day, any train on that day
day open - any train on a set day
fixed - specific train on a set day

and the cost of the ticket should relate to distance travelled, and congestion of the route.

The tickets are priced by congestion of the route.  That is why it is cheaper for you to buy two tickets.  In the old BR (British Rail(ways)) days you werent allowed to use combination season tickets so fares were set depending how busy /  congested the route was.  I assume that one of you season tickets was for a route that was not so busy so was set cheaper than the busier longer journey. Of course we are talking about how busy it was 15 years ago so a lot can have change since then.

Since privatisation season tickets became regulated meaning that it is no longer possible to get rid of these anomolies. Well unless a rail company is going to reduce the price of a season ticket which is not going to happen !!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 00:28:25 »

Well unless a rail company is going to reduce the price of a season ticket which is not going to happen !!
FGW (First Great Western) reduced the Cornish seasons quite heavily when they restricted the local railcard to off peak only, a falmouth-Truro 7 day went from about ^17 to ^11.60.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 15:41:24 »

The move towards a book in advance or pay expensive fares system is not helping with any modal shift.  If anything it's making the car more attractive as you does not cost you more if you don't plan your journey in advance.

Nigel Harris in this weeks Rail writing about Virgin WCML (West Coast Main Line) VHF timetable (train every 20 minutes from London to Manchester) asks what is the point of spending ^9 Billion of taxpayers money to upgrade a line to "turn up and go" frequencies when their are no longer any affordable turn up and go fares?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 19:13:52 »

Nigel's point is absolutely spot on. And why fill all the seats with people travelling for ^9 or whatever, so full fare passengers still can't get a seat.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 20:58:26 »

And why dont they put the season tickets up.  If they do it for the new javelin service surely the same should happen on the WCML (West Coast Main Line)?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 22:09:41 »

Nigel Harris in this weeks Rail writing about Virgin WCML (West Coast Main Line) VHF timetable (train every 20 minutes from London to Manchester) asks what is the point of spending ^9 Billion of taxpayers money to upgrade a line to "turn up and go" frequencies when their are no longer any affordable turn up and go fares?
Running a service every 20 minutes to me implies a turn up and go service so surely fares should be adjusted to encourage just that.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: