1st May (1964)
Helicopter service from Penzance to Scilly Isles starts

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 01:04:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo Increase  (Read 6394 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2008, 21:03:52 »

In the new timetable, there is an increase in the number of trains operated by Thames Turbos.

Why is this? They are unsuitable for long distances! What about this extra HST (High Speed Train) that is meant to be coming?
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 21:34:45 »

Which trains are you referring to.  I notice the last train to Worcester is now an HST (High Speed Train) instead of a turbo.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 23:19:16 »

There are several in the middle of the day - look at the codes at the top of the columns.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:57:56 »

Just checked. In the current timetable there are turbos from london to oxford at 0821, 1421, 2051, 2121, 2148.  In the new timetable they are at 0921, 1250, 1421, 1450, 2051, 2148.

I suspect the extra ones during the day are to cater for the longer layover times for trains running to and from Worcester and Hereford.  Particularly the late morning return to hereford which previously had about 15 minutes at Hereford and was always terminating at Ledbury. now leaves at 1021 and has 90 minutes at Hereford.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:37:36 »

Seems sensible to me - Turbos are fine for fast trips to Oxford as the journey only 60 minutes or so. Its logical for the HSTs (High Speed Train) to be used on the longer services and leave the lightly loaded Oxford fasts for Turbos. I'm sure that these journeys in the middle of the day are fairly lightly loaded.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 13:55:15 »

Just checked. In the current timetable there are turbos from london to oxford at 0821, 1421, 2051, 2121, 2148.  In the new timetable they are at 0921, 1250, 1421, 1450, 2051, 2148.

The 21:48 from Paddington is to be a HST (High Speed Train). I wouldn't say there is a great increase in the use of turbos, but there is a slight increase. Their greater flexibility in terms of operation makes them more suitable for certain Cotswold Line services than HST's - though the facilities are not as good for the customer, with 1st Class comparing very badly. Adelante's remain suitable for certain services too, so when (if!) they go it will be interesting to see what replaces them, HST's or Turbos?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 16:33:58 »

Remember, some of these might be Adelantes Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 17:17:27 »

Remember, some of these might be Adelantes Wink

Hopefully! Grin

The thing is, putting Turbos onto the lightly used trains will only dissaude further passengers.

And if the trains are empty North of Oxford, why not have Advance fares/ Super Off peak fares?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 13:03:25 »

The extra HST (High Speed Train) is only a replacement for the last three Adelantes, not an extra set.

As for more Turbo duties during the daytime, there is just one in place of an HST to Worcester and Malvern, the 09.21 from London and 14.34 return. And this is balanced out, as Industry Insider said, by the 21.48 becoming an HST to get the set to Worcester to work the new 05.02 departure to London.

The 14.21 to Moreton and 16.14 back to Oxford is an additional service, provided by extending beyond Oxford a train that was already a Turbo in the May to December timetable. This train gives Moreton (and Kingham and Charlbury) a taste of what might be to come if the suggestions of a Moreton to south of Oxford shuttle come true, with a spread of southbound departures at 15.43, 16.14 (Turbo, to Oxford) and 16.51.

There is also the new 05.37 from Moreton to Worcester, to position the two-car Turbo to work the halts train back to Oxford, replacing the former 06.08 from Evesham. Just a pity tight pathing means it can't call at Honeybourne, as it runs Moreton-Evesham in between the first two southbound HSTs.

Unlikely that Adelantes will appear, as these duties will be part of regular Turbo diagrams.

As for advance fares, they still need to make seats available for the leg of the journey between London and Oxford, so filling all the seats on three-car Turbos with passengers from further west would be a bit silly.

I really don't see how they will dissuade passengers. A lightly-loaded Turbo west of Oxford is a perfectly pleasant way to travel, unless, perhaps, you're going all the way to Hereford. It's when a Turbo appears on Cotswold peak duties that they put off passengers. Judging by low passenger numbers beyond Oxford on the 17.51 earlier this week when it was Turboed two days running, I think a lot of people took one look at the overcrowding at Paddington and waited for the 18.21.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 15:17:33 »

How about cheaper fares North of Oxford only?

The shuttle would be good, as it would allow the halts and Hanborough to be served without stopping as many Hereford / Worcester trains, reducing overcrowding for BOTH sets of passengers, and pleasing both.

And I think that Turbos do put people off, although they are perfectly bearable on non crowded services.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 19:22:59 »

The shuttle would be good, as it would allow the halts and Hanborough to be served without stopping as many Hereford / Worcester trains, reducing overcrowding for BOTH sets of passengers, and pleasing both.

But as I've said before in various threads, the Hanborough and Charlbury stops in the longer-distance trains will be staying, because of the number of people travelling in the peaks from these places to Reading and London and back, traffic that has built up due to through services.

While Hanborough station may look like a glorified halt, it is a railhead for a large area north and west of Oxford - and far more accessible than Oxford station, which is why people use it. Having to change trains 10 minutes after they've set off or just 10 minutes from home on the way back isn't likely to be very pleasing for commuters from Hanborough and FGW (First Great Western) will want to keep them happy and keep them using its trains.

As the initial post about a shuttle service said, the apparent key aim is to generate more local traffic and to try to persuade people travelling into Oxford not to use their cars. A half-hourly service would spread out the peak loadings between Oxford, Hanborough and Charlbury, in particular, which will help ease pressure on the long-distance trains, but I don't imagine it is intended as a substitute for existing stops by the London trains.

How about cheaper fares North of Oxford only?

As I said, because the Cotswold Line trains have to serve two markets - you can't fill up a train with passengers going beyond Oxford on cheap tickets when it's also providing part of the half-hourly service between London and Oxford, so must have space available for passengers making that journey as well. This was the reason for Turbos and then Adelantes getting the push from the route - they don't have the capacity to cope with demand from both these flows much of the day.

The result is, of course, that HSTs (High Speed Train) run with empty seats past Oxford, but that can't be helped, unless you're going to try to drive up journeys ending and starting at Oxford, which a shuttle may be intended to stimulate.

For cheaper off-peak local journeys between Oxford and Worcester there is of course the Cotswold Line railcard. It is to be hoped that if the shuttle does materialise, it will be heavily promoted in conjunction with this railcard.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 14:18:14 »

As of tomorrow, the 1751 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) will be an Adelante
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 17:15:47 »

Is that the only 180 service on the route?

Bad choice IMO (in my opinion), as that train must be busy, and needs more than a 180 (unless it is double).
Don

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 18:28:09 »

Good point.

One assumes that the train planners have got this right and have several other services leaving for Oxford just before and just after 1751. 

But we will all have to keep an eye on the loadings and see how it pans out.

(One day I'll get to ride on an Adelante (probably in the North East somewhere))

Regards,
Don.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 19:05:06 »

Is that the only 180 service on the route?

Bad choice IMO (in my opinion), as that train must be busy, and needs more than a 180 (unless it is double).

1121 to GMV
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: