Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:15:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[94] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[73] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[49] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stagecoach to axe 650 jobs!  (Read 2920 times)
ReWind

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 17:30:13 »

I havn't been able to find out much info yet, but I have found out that Stagecoach, which runs SWT (South West Trains), are to axe 650 jobs from the SWT area of their business.  This is due to a fall in the number of passengers using this service to London Waterloo. 

Once I find out more, I will post in moree detail!!

If anyone else can find out more information, that would be much appreciated!!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 20:30:50 »

A fall! Shocked

I suppose it must be the lost jobs in the City (plus the sky high fares and overcrowding on the Waterloo and City line).

A big shame, as it may scupper hopes for new platforms in the old Eurostar terminal).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 21:38:17 »

Stagecoach, the bus and rail group, has reported strong six month profits but warned of challenging conditions to come and said it would be cutting jobs.

The group said bus operations would be protected from the economic downturn.  But it said it would be carrying out a cost reduction programme in its rail businesses that would include job cuts.

Stagecoach runs the South Western and East Midlands train franchises and owns 49% of Virgin Trains, which operates the West Coast mainline.

But the statement predicted a sharp downturn in employment, especially in central London and warned that it would hit demand for its rail services. South Western, for example, is particularly reliant on commuters.

"As a result, we are taking action now to ensure that our UK (United Kingdom) rail businesses remain competitive," said chairman Robert Speirs. "Our plan includes a cost reduction programme in our rail operations, which will include headcount reductions."

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7762173.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 22:19:34 »

The problem is that all the franchises have their subsidy/premium profile based on a fairly aggressive increase in revenue (and thus number of passengers).

So let's say in 2008 passenger volumes and revenues are flat against 2007 (which was 5% up over 2006), and there is a 5% reduction in 2009. Now this may only take the situation back to roughly the 2006 volumes, but in terms of the subsidy/premium expected, this would have expected 2009 revenue to be around 15% higher (all figures exclude for the moment inflation.)

So even if in 2009 the railway is still carrying the numbers of passengers it did in 2006, it can't afford to, because the franchises will be losing vast amounts of money. Hence the need for paring costs in any way they can. It's a fundamental flaw in the way the franchises were let, in that they assumed that the good times would always continue.

It will be very interesting to see how the government reacts to this. Paring costs is likely to be hugely damaging to both the railway with passenger volumes still historically high. (Anyone remember how the busmen who first ran SWT (South West Trains) screwed up post privitisation by thinking they could slash the workforce?)

But the only alternative is for the government to renegotiate the franchise terms. If they don't then there is a real risk that some of the franchise holders will hand in the keys, rather than lose money hand over fist. Though of course if you hand in one franchise you hand in the lot, so there will be a lot of hard thinking.  I bet the bids for the new South Central franchise are going to be much more conservative though.       
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 23:03:46 »

I thought the whole point of a franchise was that the farnchisee ran all the risks. So that if they can't meet their committments then they go bust and their shareholders suffer.

It is dead easy for BR (British Rail(ways)) to pick up the franchise run it like South Eastern. If several went bust at once then you have the makings of a new BR.

After all the EU» (European Union - about) directive only requires the cost of infrastructure and train running to be accounted for separately. Look at France their infrastructure company equivalent to Networkrail contracts all the work to SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways).
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:03 »

Heard that FGW (First Great Western) are also looking to axe jobs.

Apparently front line staff from all parts of the region, mainly ticket office/platform staff.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:17:04 »

One of the platform staff at a major junction on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) told me that platform staff are being axed at his particular station.  That said, FGW (First Great Western) have used trained agency staff on gateline duties.

I note that all former agency gateline staff are being brought in house.  (Source  Current RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Magazine).

(Edited to include gateline update.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 18:09:41 by G.Uard » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:22 »

There are lots of OTT (Open Train Times website) rumours about job losses going around.  I was told that people were likely to be 'moved around' rather than lose their jobs.  I was also told about some of the changes, but at this stage it would be wrong I feel to discuss this here.

As usual though 'Brother Bob' and his Union bandwagon will be ready for action  Roll Eyes Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 15:21:58 »

Hang on... I thought FGW (First Great Western) were hiring more staff to cope with shortages!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: