19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 22:17:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Cheaper Route To Paddington?  (Read 7227 times)
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:55:25 »

Am I correct in saying that travelling Exeter to Reading/Paddington via Bristol would be a cheaper route than via Westbury.
Please reply shortly.
thanks
DevonTrains2008

P.S there are some direct FGW (First Great Western)'s via Bristol
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 14:31:15 »

The system is so complex that it depends on when you want to travel ... out and back ... and if you can be sure enough of the services that you'll catch to book ahead.

Buy-on-the-day, off peak return fares for returning the same day ...

Exeter - Reading, 54 pounds
Exeter - Bristol + Bristol - Didcot + Didcot - Reading, total 45 pounds 30p
Exeter - Basingstoke + Basingstoke - Reading, total 45 pounds 80p

But remember that to use the latter fares, you must travel on trains that go through (and call at) the intermediate stations.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 15:01:13 »

P.S. ... and it totals 47.90 if you go direct and book Exeter - Westbury, Westbury - Hungerford and Hungerford - Reading ....

P.P.S. Splitting the journey also means that if you're travelling part of the way at peak times, and part off-peak, you may be able to get good savings on a part of the journey.

Ooh ... and I just got 44.80 ... with five steps.  The whole system, frankly, brings disrepute upon itself!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 15:27:51 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 17:04:52 »

It's probably that the train companies want to get as much money as possible and do not highlight these cheaper fares (e.g Exeter - Bristol - Didcot) If you buy 2 seperate tickets you do not have to get of the train to buy the second leg of the journey - you can buy these tickets at any station UK (United Kingdom) - wide. I wonder if it would be possible to change in both Temple - Meads or Parkway to reach Didcot. It suprises me that changing in Bristol is cheaper than changing in Basingstoke as the Bristol route uses HST (High Speed Train)'s!
 Smiley
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 17:06:32 »

Am I correct in saying that travelling Exeter to Reading/Paddington via Bristol would be a cheaper route than via Westbury.
Please reply shortly.
thanks
DevonTrains2008

No for a ticket valid on FGW route the price is the same.  The Exeter - Reading ticket is valid both ways.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 17:09:07 »

Ooh ... and I just got 44.80 ... with five steps.  The whole system, frankly, brings disrepute upon itself!

It's probably that the train companies want to get as much money as possible and do not highlight these cheaper fares (e.g Exeter - Bristol - Didcot) If you buy 2 seperate tickets you do not have to get of the train to buy the second leg of the journey - you can buy these tickets at any station UK (United Kingdom) - wide. I wonder if it would be possible to change in both Temple - Meads or Parkway to reach Didcot. It suprises me that changing in Bristol is cheaper than changing in Basingstoke as the Bristol route uses HST (High Speed Train)'s!
 Smiley

You are both right it's a complete nonsense and in my opnion brings the whole industry into disrepute.

I got an advanced fare for 19th Jan of ^10 for single Exter Reading direct but the anytime seems to ^98.

It's "Rip of Britain"
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 19:45:54 »

you can buy these tickets at any station UK (United Kingdom) - wide.
Not in Northern Ireland.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 06:07:02 »

Clearly, (and good luck to them), passengers like to buy tickets in multiple cheap stages rather than one, (often) higher priced item.  Trouble is that many fail to understand that the services concerned must call at the changeover point for each stage.  I recently had a real battle trying to explain to a Paddington bound passenger that she had to change at Reading as she held a ticket to West Drayton, (from where her Freedom Pass? was valid). Whilst West crews can be reasonably flexible, (many of our services call everywhere except Melksham anyway), this is not always the case with travelling RP staff.  If you are challenged by RP staff in such circumstances, you could be treated as travelling without the requisite ticket for at least that stage of the journey.

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 09:14:22 »

I recently had a real battle trying to explain to a Paddington bound passenger that she had to change at Reading as she held a ticket to West Drayton, (from where her Freedom Pass? was valid).

Is a Freedom Pass not a type of Season Ticket, then?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:07:40 »

It's done as west drayton because you can't do a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 for longer distance journeys.
It should be treated as boundary ticket, so no need to change at Reading.
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 15:37:25 »

Please reply shortly.
thanks
DevonTrains2008

No for a ticket valid on FGW route the price is the same.  The Exeter - Reading ticket is valid both ways.

Not if you buy your tickets Exeter - Bristol - Didcot Parkway - Reading!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 20:29:13 »

(many of our services call everywhere except Melksham anyway)

Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:58:12 »

It's done as west drayton because you can't do a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 for longer distance journeys.
It should be treated as boundary ticket, so no need to change at Reading.

Interesting point Ollie.  You may well have pinpointed a training need here.  (I have searched through my Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) manuals and can't find any clarification).  Pas was using a West unit travelling to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to connect with a HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) service to Pad.  Her ticket was perfectly valid for my section of the trip, but she pointed out that the TM(resolve) on the down service had told her that ticket was not valid as the HST (High Speed Train) didn't stop at West Drayton.  He had used his discretion and she continued journey.

I have to admit that I and many colleagues thought the 'stop' rule applied to these tickets. 

(Hence the change at Reading to an LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) stopper).  I will mention this to the local RP manager when next I see him and ask for a training update.

For the record, I advised passenger that although I  thought that use of her pass/ticket in this way could cause comment, to continue anyway.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 15:04:22 »

Best way to think of a freedom pass is as an Off Peak Travel Card Smiley

But it does need to be addressed as information needs to be consistent.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: