Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:27:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to go for day trip  (Read 9719 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:50 »

sounds like a good idea i havnt been there before i will take my camera  Smiley
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 11:47:52 »

Lovely cathedral and IMO (in my opinion), a great atmosphere.  One of my fave days out.

Just walk into town from the station, it's only 1/2 a mile or so. You will pass a good Wetherspoon's for lunch, or there plenty of other spots to eat.
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 17:18:32 »

Well in the end we went to...
TRURO!
yes, we went on FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)'s and despite what people say I think they're great - unlike SWT (South West Trains) we actually got our seat reservations from Exeter!

For next time I'd like to know what Westbury's like?

Please Reply Soon

DevonTrains2008
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 17:47:40 »

If you make an early start, you could try Worcester:

*Station among shops, just 100 yards to the start of the big ones
*Cathedral
*River side
*Boat trips
*Racecourse
*Woolworths! Wink

If you were to stay for a few days, you're only 15 miles to the Severn Valley Railway Smiley - 20 min train to Kidderminster.

Malvern Hills nearby.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 20:22:59 »

TRURO!
yes, we went on FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)'s and despite what people say I think they're great - unlike SWT (South West Trains) we actually got our seat reservations from Exeter!

Please Reply Soon

DevonTrains2008

Westbury couldn't really be described as a tourist attraction, but you could then take the train to Bradford on Avon, whcih is nice and twee.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 15:17:11 »

The chippy near the station is excellent  Wink
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 11:36:41 »

TRURO!

Please Reply Soon

DevonTrains2008

Truro not a bad place but Falmouth is BETTER!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 22:29:36 »

TRURO!

Please Reply Soon

DevonTrains2008

Truro not a bad place but Falmouth is BETTER!
Is it chuff! Truro is a great city, nice local pubs with lots of REAL ale's, lots of shops, a magnificent cathederal, boat trips etc.
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 20:07:45 »

Thanks.

Would it be possible to go Honiton > Exeter > Westbury > Salisbury > Honiton by buying a Honiton > Westbury Return?

I think this would be a good trip taking in FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)'s, SWT (South West Trains) 158's and FGW 158's - I would also be able to use both Paddington and Waterloo lines in one day, and not too much expenditiure!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 17:48:49 »

Use the "via" function on http://www.fgwtickets.co.uk/buy_tickets/requirements/journey_requirements.asp?sitecode=FGW (First Great Western) and it will soon tell you.
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 16:44:03 »

Hello

I am again faced with the challenge of choosing a day out destination

Probably departing from Feniton and want to know some information about some different places - particularly interested in Bradford On Avon!

I hope you can tell me some info?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 16:47:13 »

There is an excellent chippy just round the corner from the station!
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 19:40:09 »

Another vote for Salisbury - this is as good as the |Cathedral:-

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 20:27:25 »

Thanks.

Would it be possible to go Honiton > Exeter > Westbury > Salisbury > Honiton by buying a Honiton > Westbury Return?

I think this would be a good trip taking in FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)'s, SWT (South West Trains) 158's and FGW 158's - I would also be able to use both Paddington and Waterloo lines in one day, and not too much expenditiure!

Your route is allowed with an 'any permitted' ticket. Bear in mind that the HON-WSB» (Westbury - next trains) Off-Peak Return (SVR), route 'any permitted' is ^33.00 - ^9.50 more than the route 'Yeovil' ticket. Also the route 'Yeovil' does not permit interchange between Junction and Pen Mill.
Interestingly you can also travel HON-WSB via Bristol on the ^33.00 SVR to maximise your mileage/traction options. This could give you a multitude of places to visit on a circular route.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 21:16:35 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 21:09:25 »

I rather like Bradford on Avon - it's well worth including the canal, and the tithe barn (as well as other places!) on any visit there: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_on_Avon  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: