18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 04:37:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffet Cars  (Read 19019 times)
Scooby

View Profile Email
« on: July 04, 2007, 23:58:21 »

Well, wasnt sure where to post this but here comes the FGW (First Great Western) buffet car farce. From December 2007 FGW will have 53 HST (High Speed Train) sets, but only 26 will convey buffet cars, the rest will be 7 coach 'high density sets'.

Out of the 26 sets that have buffet cars only 16 will have the 407xx series capable of conveying a proper restaurant service, so as far as I can tell like the rest of the franchise it will be a complete farce, the sets will never keep to booked jobs so we can see the 18:03 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 'Golden Hind' to Penzance as a 7 coach train with no buffet car and just a trolley that can move nowhere on a Friday night due to passenger numbers.

First 'First for being tight and not leasing 27 buffet coachs'. How on earth such a complete piss poor company can run a train service that could be the countires best is beyond me.....

Please, please, get First outa here for the sake of everyone that wants rail to suceed.......

Help, SACK FARCE GROUP NOW.......
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:09:54 »

FGW (First Great Western) think that by reducing the fleet to 7 coaches it will help them improve the abmismal record on punctuality between London and Bristol. The amount of padding between Chippenham-Bristol is a a complete farce and should not be allowed as it only hides the chronic under investment thats needed on Brunel's railway.

So if they are operating a trolley service on this route we can expect to see more of Alison wheeling her goodies trolley down the train then  Grin
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:17:35 »

Problem with trolleys, is you are going to loose out on the hot goodies, like Bacon Rolls

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:55:11 »

I thought the plan was to use longer trains, with 8-10 carriages rather than replace the buffet carriage.

There is a desperate need for more capacity covering Bristol (Parkway+Temple Meads), Bath, Swindon and Chippenham in the morning and evening peak times. Simply replacing the buffet carriage will not address this, and remove from FGW (First Great Western) of a good revenue stream.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:20:13 »

I thought the plan was to use longer trains, with 8-10 carriages rather than replace the buffet carriage.

See link below.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=438.msg1292#msg1292

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 18:15:15 »

The buffet not only provides food, but also a number of First Class seats.

I can't see performance improving. With the way some of the drivers drive it is no wonder as to why they loose time at every single station!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 20:31:49 »

I am at a loss to understand the thinking behind the FGW (First Great Western) decision on Buffet Cars.

Why didnt FGW take a decision to refurbish the buffet cars and REMOVE the 1st class seating and replace with high density standard class seating.

Majority of passengers satisfied.

Probably too simple a solution for FGW management.

By the way the 1557 PNZ - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) service today was reportedly running today with no toilets in use. long time to wait to spend a penny.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 22:00:45 by martyjon » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 20:51:08 »

Err ... I appreciate the feelings but are we getting a little too personal here?   Let's disagree with the decisions where we feel that's appropriate but not vere off towards the name calling.

thanks for the edit - much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:17:13 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 19:25:19 »

good news. the new MD of FGW (First Great Western) has told staff today that more thinking is needed in relation to the removal of buffet cars from HST (High Speed Train)'s on the Paddington to Bristol and Paddington to Cardiff routes.

Once the new timetable has been in for a couple of weeks a number of 'trial' sets will come into service to see if the system is workable and of benefit to customers and staff.

At the end of January the company will obtain feedback from staff and customers alike and then decide what to do next.

Obviously its very important that comments and feedback both good and bad, are made to FGW about this issue.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 19:56:36 »

Excellent news!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 12:05:02 »

Article on this (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/12/dismay_as_train_firm_announces.html#more

An FGW (First Great Western) spokesman said it made its intentions clear to remove some buffet car services in April 2006 when it won the franchise. But he said no firm decision would be made on the future of the facility until January.

He said the at-seat service wouldn't provide hot meals but would offer drinks and snacks.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 12:58:18 »

I think they should look into EMTs» (East Midlands Trains - about) methods, install a Meridian style galley in an FO at one end of the train (opposite to TGS)....
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 20:26:26 »

Am I missing something here, We need more seats on the Trains not less, plus making 7 coach and 8 coach HST (High Speed Train) will only cause operational problems. My answer is get the buffet turned round so Kitchen Counter is next to First Class whip out the First Class Seats and install Standard Seats. Everyone wins 2 cars first class 5, 1/2 cars standard class.
Such a good Idea, Cheque payable to Smokey please FGW (First Great Western).
Oh I forgot Don't think FGW have a staff suggestion scheme, to tight to pay out.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 20:37:53 »

I agree that is what they should do.

Maybe push the boat out and have some tables in the buffet!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 21:19:34 »

Agree entirely, and also make the table seats reservable only by groups of 3 or 4, so that they can get the benefit of actually being able to talk as a group. I think you'd find it would be the most popular coach by far. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: