Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 23:03:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth - summer weekend loco-hauled services - 2009  (Read 42984 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:40:29 »

The latest Rail magazine reports that FGW (First Great Western) will not be operating loco hauled services on the Bristol-Weymouth line this coming summer as there would be enough DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) available as a result of FGW making better use of its resources.

Can't say I'm surprised at this news as loadings on the extra loco hauled service couldn't have been very high owing to the poor weather over the summer making it hard to justify the extra spending on hiring a set again for the following summer.

I suspect FGW will have coaches on standby on days when the weather is good to cover the event of extra passenger loadings that sunny weather tends to bring to this line as there can't be that much spare DMU stock around to strengthen existing services without taking away from other lines.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 13:18:30 »

The LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) is likely to stay on Cardiff - Taunton
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 14:32:20 »

It is possible that this years with the sterling being so weak against the euro and the general feeling from the credit crunch that UK (United Kingdom) holidays and day trips may make resurgence and I wonder if the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s and NR» (Network Rail - home page) could re act to it by providing the level of service and price to attract families back to rail for especially day trips

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 15:26:09 »

The LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) is likely to stay on Cardiff - Taunton
If thats the case then surely it could do the Weymouths on summer Saturdays.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 15:45:53 »

I presume the slower timings of LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) make it difficult to diagram, along with crewing issues. Currently only Exeter crews are being trained on class 67s, none of which sign Weymouth.
Exeter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 20:31:02 »

Cant really see why a Paddington Oxford fast diagram on a summer saturday couldn't be "turbo-ed" and the displaced HST (High Speed Train) do two round trips Bristol to Weymouth! Both Paddington and Bristol HSS (High Speed Services) staff sign Bristol to Castle Cary. You would need two pilotmen with route knowledge to cover the bit between Cary and Weymouth but that must be a cheaper option then using hired in loco and stock!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 20:56:09 »

Do Exeter not sign Bathamapton Jn - Bradford Jn?
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 23:16:38 »

Cant really see why a Paddington Oxford fast diagram on a summer saturday couldn't be "turbo-ed" and the displaced HST (High Speed Train) do two round trips Bristol to Weymouth! Both Paddington and Bristol HSS (High Speed Services) staff sign Bristol to Castle Cary. You would need two pilotmen with route knowledge to cover the bit between Cary and Weymouth but that must be a cheaper option then using hired in loco and stock!

No pilotmen required, as there are several ex Wessex drivers with Weymouth route knowledge that now sign HSTs.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 15:05:16 »

Wouldnt believe all you read in RAIL magazine, LIAR backwards....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 10:34:27 »

According to the recent West Customer Panel minutes, FGW (First Great Western) ARE planning to run loco and coaches this summer on the Weymouth line:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/Customer%20panel/West%20CP%20meeting%2028.01.09%20minutes%20-%20WEBSITE.doc

Loco haulage to Weymouth again on peak Summer Saturdays N.B Stock to be confirmed
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 13:39:07 »

GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) driver told me that there is talk of 'retraining' former loco men to drive 57s.  Also rumours of a purchase of several Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) by FGW (First Great Western).  I posted somewhere else about plans to bin the skips in favour of additional  'pooled' 57s, so this does make sense.  Rumour rating at the moment though, so don't go dusting off your Praktikas and long lenses just yet.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 16:19:22 »

GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) driver told me that there is talk of 'retraining' former loco men to drive 57s.  Also rumours of a purchase of several Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) by FGW (First Great Western).  I posted somewhere else about plans to bin the skips in favour of additional  'pooled' 57s, so this does make sense.  Rumour rating at the moment though, so don't go dusting off your Praktikas and long lenses just yet.
Would make sense for FGW to purchase some Mk2s and use their 57s rather than pay a charter company all the time. After all, until the new fleet of trains arrive for Cardiff-Portsmouth in 2011 there will always be a use for them with the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) fleet stretched to the limit.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 21:57:52 »

There is a rumour I have heard, although I won't say what it is so nobody gets into trouble.

Lets just say that it involves 57s.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:14 »

Interestingly, at Travel Watch South West yesterday, there was official confirmation from Mark Hopwood and Malcolm Drury of FGW (First Great Western) that there will be something extra on Summer Saturdays on Weymouth as well as summer strengthening on the Cornish branches ... but the wording did not state (perhaps intentionally) whether the Weymouth solution was (or was not) locomotive based. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:34:18 »

So that would explain why I saw a certain Torbay dignitary heading that way.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: