Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:02:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth - summer weekend loco-hauled services - 2009  (Read 42986 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 22:38:52 »

yes thats my only option really, just me and a friend from axminster wanted to use the service and well for him its a long journey if we could change at yeovil it wold be easyer for both, but there is more chance of them doubling the whole former southern line electrifying it and upgrading it to 125 line speed and putting a connection from y j to weymouth lol so its via st davids for me
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2009, 22:39:16 »

The title of this post really does need changing to show the fact that there will be a loco service this summer for which FGW (First Great Western) are to be congratulated!

Well, I blame the member who made that original post ... !  Tongue Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
I do too Chris!  Wink Just goes to show how wrong he was to believe what he read in a certain Rail magazine back at the start of the year which said the loco service wouldn't be happening this summer. I won't be using them as a source for posting on this forum again thats for sure. Whoops  Shocked I just admitted it was me who started this post!!!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2009, 23:09:53 »

In all fairness, the plan was to use SWT (South West Trains) 158s and it was not decided until the last minute to use the loco hauled set. It must bring in some additional revenue whatever the weather, the front coach often full of railway enthusiasts who are likely to be on rover tickets.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2009, 23:13:30 »

I'm slightly confused now...! (Doesn't take much when i've been up since 4:00AM)

Are they stealing the Cardiff - Taunton Loco Hauled Set...? Or are they leasing another set...?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2009, 23:30:53 »

The loco set doesn't operate weekends.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2009, 23:32:52 »

I See... All makes sense now Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2009, 06:55:09 »

In all fairness, the plan was to use SWT (South West Trains) 158s and it was not decided until the last minute to use the loco hauled set. It must bring in some additional revenue whatever the weather, the front coach often full of railway enthusiasts who are likely to be on rover tickets.
That makes sense as you can almost guarantee there will be rail enthusiasts bashing the service every weekend with nice weather being a bonus.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2009, 00:30:52 »

September 5th FGW (First Great Western)'s last weymouth loco hauled *maybe* somewhat special......
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 16:38:42 by inspector_blakey » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:25 »

Could the number of tractors in Dorset increase by 2 in a day...?

Saying that...!! Intercity back to the coast!?
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2009, 17:52:45 »

September 5th FGW (First Great Western)'s last weymouth loco hauled *maybe* somewhat special......

According to some people over at RailUKforums, it's going to be a couple of 37's on the Weymouth loco service tomorrow. Expect quite a few bashers on it tomorrow!

Cheers,
Mike
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2009, 20:49:09 »

Certainly one way to guarantee the last loco hauled service of the summer is full and standing. Good thinking by FGW (First Great Western) and DBS» (Deutsch Bahn Schenker - UK (United Kingdom) website) which is nice to see a TOC (Train Operating Company) thinking outside the box as it were by doing something different.

If anyone is travelling on this service and is able to post some pics that would be great.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2009, 23:20:22 »

The bush telegraph suggests 37 401 and 37 670 double-headed on load 5 (not sure what the practicalities of this are with respect to shunt-releasing etc at Weymouth but I'm sure someone else here will be). 37 670 is now resplendent in bright DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) red...have they got around to painting 401 in the same livery yet?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2009, 09:59:37 »

According to Modern Railways 401 is to retain large logo livery, and be joined by 425.

419 and 670 are the only two so far in DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) red. Possibly to be joined by 422 and 669.

It was 419 that fell down near Carlisle causing taxis to be used from Glasgow for passengers going to Thurso and Skye, who missed their connections. See post on use of taxis for missed connections.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2009, 19:21:03 »

Well I didn't see them but sure heard them as they rumbled their way through Bath.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2009, 11:06:33 »

Saw the set arrive at Temple Meads whilst passing through just before 9am. The number of enthusiasts did make me wonder whether there would be any room for any unsuspecting "normal" passengers hopiing to enjoy a day out in Weymouth.

Still, well done to FGW (First Great Western) for doing something slightly different.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: