Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:15:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver-only operation  (Read 40317 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2009, 17:07:44 »

Thanks for that very informative post, Network SouthEast - and a warm welcome to the FGW (First Great Western) Coffee Shop forum!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2009, 17:28:23 »

Might not be strictly related,

The 1630 London Padd - Taunton, once terminated at Taunton, runs empty to Laira. No Staff or passengers onboard.

and To the comment about the guard not being able to get back onto the train to dispatch, it does happen. I saw it at Bath Spa with a mid evening Portsmouth Harbour service during the Christmas Shopping season. A 5 Car was indeed a 2 Car unit, now imagine the mayhem that caused...  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2009, 18:33:07 »

The 1630 London Padd - Taunton, once terminated at Taunton, runs empty to Laira. No Staff or passengers onboard.

I would hope there is at least one member of staff on board  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2009, 18:41:06 »

I would hope there is at least one member of staff on board  Grin

There is to Taunton, Then all of the passengers and staff get off, and as I said, it runs empty to Laira

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2009, 18:42:57 »

I think Ollie is referring to a driver  Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 21:04:16 »

Netowork South East,

Thanks for your reply. Why are guards not allowed to use the front door panels?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2009, 21:12:19 »

front door panels are not a safe position, as general rule guards should despatch from rear of the train

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2009, 21:12:46 »

I might have not communicated it as good as I could have. The guard can use the front door control panel as long as it is within the passenger area. If it involves going into the drivers cab, then the rulebook does not permit this. I presume this is so that drivers are not distracted.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2009, 21:19:52 »

as general rule guards should despatch from rear of the train
I disagree with that. You should dispatch from wherever you have the best view.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 21:21:06 »

On LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 150s, the front panel is not IN the drivers cab (but in the "staff only" section).

But guards never use it - even if they are stuck at the front selling a ticket when the train pulls up.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2009, 22:25:59 »

On ... 150s, the front panel is not IN the drivers cab (but in the "staff only" section).

My apologies for quoting selectively from your post, Btline, but this is something that does annoy me - almost every time we have a 150 on the 1755 at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) for NLS, for example!

The doors immediately behind the cab on a 150 used to be marked quite clearly, 'staff access only'.  However, since the refurb, these doors merely continue the 'dynamic lines' advertising of various local attractions in the FGW (First Great Western) area.  The problem is, that just encourages a few impatient passengers to try to push their way on board through that doorway, while the incoming driver is trying to hand over to the relief driver - and both of those staff then have to point out to those selfish passengers that the cab door is actually intended 'for staff only'!

Why did the refurb not include the replication of those 'staff access only' messages on the doors??

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2009, 22:53:59 »

Those Dynamic lines are the priority!

Trains late, staff in the wrong place, fares going up...

But as long as First can splash dynamic lines on, it'll be ok!

I wonder if they'll give up the Scotrail franchise, now it has to have the Saltaire livery (I would put money on the main reason for this new livery being introduced is the prevention of dynamic lines being applied!).
willc

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2009, 23:48:38 »

I wonder if they'll give up the Scotrail franchise, now it has to have the Saltaire livery (I would put money on the main reason for this new livery being introduced is the prevention of dynamic lines being applied!).

That would be Saltire, I take it - I'm not sure Alex Salmond wants to promote a mill and model village in the heart of Yorkshire, worthy of celebration though it is.

The Scottish Executive has ordered the livery is used to stop vast amounts of money being wasted on repainting trains and rebranding stations every time the Scotrail franchise changes hands. How about bringing back InterCity - the brand we invented that is now used everywhere but Britain - NSE (Network South East) and Regional Railways liveries too....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2009, 16:24:23 »

I think Ollie is referring to a driver  Cheesy

DOH!!! Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2009, 20:29:37 »

No - I think the cost is a cover up.

If I were Salmond and I sensed that dynamic lines could be appearing soon, I was pass a similar law!

Unfortunately, FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website) have contaminated Scotland with them......

certain red trains

Is that SWT (South West Trains) Metro?

There are worse! Pink doors on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))! Shocked

Arriva (enough said!) Trains Wales' blue.

Merseyrail canary!

'one' (errrghh)

NX - white which is now grey (I wonder why..... Cheesy ).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: