Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:04:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chippenham-London service - what's it really like?  (Read 13447 times)
Jane

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 23:55:58 »

Hello.  I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question is inappropriate, or if I've put it in the wrong place, please tell me where it should be!  I'd like some information on the train service from Chippenham to London.  I'm thinking of moving to the Chippenham area and I would need to commute into London 3 or 4 days a week.  On paper the service doesn't look too bad, but I know there are some issues around reliability etc.

I'd be very grateful for advice from anyone who uses this service regularly on what it is generally like in practice.  It would be really useful to know how reliable it is, what are the chances of getting a seat at peak times, etc - and any other handy tips would be very gratefully received.  Basically what I want to know is whether commuting from there is relatively easy or should I forget it!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 00:12:49 »

Hello, Jane, and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

I don't do that journey more than about once a month, so I'm really not able to answer in detail - but my limited experience is that the service is actually not too bad?

However, I'm sure our members will be happy to provide further comments!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 00:15:53 »

These may include some who would like to see a particular service connect into it more often....

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 15:38:32 »

Can't help that much as I tend to use the service on weekends; although I have been significantly delayed several times when travelling via Chippenham, this has almost invariably been on a SUnday morning and caused by Saturday night engineering work over running.

Looking at the completely bald statistics, 87.7% of FGW (First Great Western) high-speed services for the last year arrived at their eventual destination within 10 minutes of right-time, with 99.4% of advertised trains running (these are the so-called "moving annual average" scores, as displayed on FGW's website on 16 Jan 09). For the most recent four-week period shown (4 weeks from 08 Dec 08), 91.1% of high-speed services arrived within 10 minutes of time and 99.6% of advertised services ran.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 16:00:20 »

There is the odd West DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service between Chippenham and Swindon which is absolutely superb.  I have heard that the High Speed lot also do a service along that stretch of track which may even end up in Paddington.  I expect that isn't too bad either. HTH Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 16:52:52 »

There is the odd West DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service between Chippenham and Swindon which is absolutely superb.  I have heard that the High Speed lot also do a service along that stretch of track which may even end up in Paddington.  I expect that isn't too bad either. HTH Grin

Half hourly seems ok to me Wink

Not forgetting the fast 0705 to Paddington. I do believe we used to have a member who commuted between Chippenham and London.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 17:02:07 »

Alternatively, you could try this blog for some background....
http://firstlatewestern.blogspot.com/

It hasnt been updated for a while though, which could well say something in itself.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 17:23:43 »

Hi, Jane.  Exactly the right place to post, and sort of question. Welcome.

I am an irregular Chippenham - London traveller, and when I do use the service it's from Chippenham in the morning and back in the evening, so my experience may help.  Please note ... views expressed may be personal ones.

The trains - almost without exceptions, "125"s - 7 or 8 passenger coaches, circa 30 years old, but refurbished over the last couple of years so that they don't look that old.  Lovely ride, and for the 80 minute journey or so they're comfortable enough but the seats are a bit hard if you use one of the same trains for a longer journey. Not many tables, and close pitched (I'm talking standard class, in which I usually travel).

You should get a seat from Chippenham every morning, but the train will full up and probably be pretty packed by the time it gets to London.  On the way back, it's pot luck in the peak as to whether of not you'll get a seat at Paddington, but I can't imagine you having to stand all the way.

Buy-on-the-day fares, if you go in the peak time, are very expensive indeed - but a weekly season ticket  is (as I recall) worth buying even if you are just going for 3 days as it's less that 2.5 times the cost of a return ticket.

Reliability;  from my experience travelling FGW (First Great Western) can be eventful compared to travelling with other train operators (it could, of course, be that you simply want to avoid trains I'm on as they have astonishing bad luck). However, what's a few minutes delay, or the occasional wait 30 minutes for the next train?  If you ever 'do' weekends, replacement of train by buses at Chippenham seems to happen more than at almost any other station I could name.

Car parking ... the South side car park (the one I use) empties on to a single road into the town centre and it can take an age to get clear.   When I can, I use the train (06:30 and 19:01 daily) or bus (evening service only) for my own onward journey to Melksham.

And can I finish with a good word for the privately run station cafe, for the architecture as it's NOT a bus shelter on a platform job, and for the very helpful and very cheerful staff.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 17:41:35 »

Not so good tonight. Two consecutive trains from London diverted and not calling at Swindon or Chippenham, and the next one is currently at least 30 mins late. I'm not looking forward to seeing how full it is!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 17:48:16 »

Not so good tonight. Two consecutive trains from London diverted and not calling at Swindon or Chippenham, and the next one is currently at least 30 mins late. I'm not looking forward to seeing how full it is!
Heres the reason why from FGW (First Great Western) Website:
Due to signalling problems in the Didcot Parkway area, customers are advised to expect delays to their journey. Some services may be diverted via an alternative route with their journey times extended. Services through the area will experience delays and alterations.
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 18:04:31 »

I do Chippenham to London once or twice a week. My poor wife did it as her daily commute for 18 months a few years back. It's no worse than any other journey to be honest. Right now I am on a Paddington - Swansea service which has 4 trains worth of people on it and I'm only going to get as far as Swindon where I will have to figure out how to do the rest of the journey. This is not unusual - I mean significant delays between London and the South West. It is also grievously expensive - my peak single ticket is ^64 tonight which is frankly outrageous. Enjoy!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 18:14:08 »

I do Chippenham to London once or twice a week. My poor wife did it as her daily commute for 18 months a few years back. It's no worse than any other journey to be honest. Right now I am on a Paddington - Swansea service which has 4 trains worth of people on it and I'm only going to get as far as Swindon where I will have to figure out how to do the rest of the journey. This is not unusual - I mean significant delays between London and the South West. It is also grievously expensive - my peak single ticket is ^64 tonight which is frankly outrageous. Enjoy!

Not sure why you were charged peak fare when restrictions have been lifted.
Unless you bought the peak one from a machine.
Be worth sending into customer services to get a partial refund on it or just get compensation for delay on it. (if compensation available)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:15:18 by Ollie » Logged
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 19:28:59 »

I do Chippenham to London and back at peak times once or twice a week on average. I'd say it was an extremely reliable service - I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I've only been late for meetings in London a couple of times in the past 12 months, and then only by half an hour or so. I can't comment on seat availability in standard as I am fortunate enough to travel first class - it's often pretty full in there, but it's rare to see anyone standing.

Bear in mind you can make a significant financial saving by buying separate tickets from Chippenham to Didcot and Didcot to Paddington rather than straight through. I think an open peak time first class return is around ^190 now, compared to ^140 or so by splitting it at Didcot.

Parking is increasingly an issue at Chippenham. Get there any time after 8:30 and you're looking at the far end of each car park, meaning you need to allow an extra few minutes to reach the platforms. There's no point turning up between the hours of 11am and 1pm from Monday to Thursday and looking for a space nowadays, as you simply won't get one. Fridays are usually OK though. Incidentally, the car park at the back of the station is 20p a day cheaper than the one at the front - I have no idea why.

The one significantly major flaw with Chippenham is that there is no disabled access to trains, so if you are in any way mobility impaired, then forget it and move somewhere else.

My personal recommendation incidentally if you are moving to the area is to look for houses in and around Melksham. That way you are roughly half way between Chippenham and Westbury, which both have direct services to Paddington, so you get a choice if there's delays on one line or the other. Parking at Westbury is half the price of Chippenham. Also, let's think positive: the train service in Melksham itself has to eventually improve on what it is at the moment, so on days when you can't or don't want to drive at all, you will hopefully someday have the option of travelling from there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 19:34:39 by Phil » Logged
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 21:59:03 »

The one significantly major flaw with Chippenham is that there is no disabled access to trains, so if you are in any way mobility impaired, then forget it and move somewhere else.

Are you sure? If you go to the booking office side of the station, the staff will take you across the track at the barrow crossing at the west end of the platforms. At least, they used to...
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 00:45:45 »

Split tickets  chippenham to didcot, didcot to paaddington are only valid on trains that actually STOP at Didcot

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: