27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:39:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train performance since new timetable introduction  (Read 5930 times)
gpn01

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:36 »

I commute daily on the 07:03 from Maidenhead which is due into Paddington at 07:26. So far this year I don't think we've arrived at Paddington on time at all.  Made all the worse by seeing the, now shortened, old 07:02 whistle through Maidenhead with what looks like plenty of empty seats whilst the 07:03 usually ends up with people standing in the aisles.  Grrr!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 15:09:43 »

I travel on the 07:03 or is it 04, 05 ...........08, 09  Huh FGW (First Great Western) really get 10 out 10 for marketing in Dec 2007 they introduce two fast trains from Maidenhead at 7 am which generated a demand and now they cull on of them.  The only target FGW get for this is a marksman's badge for shooting themselves in the foot

For the first time, that I can recall, two HST (High Speed Train)'s stopped at Maidenhead at 07:08 ish the late running 07:03 on platform 4 and the even latter running 06:43 on platform 2 now that would be a good service to run every day.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:58:51 »

It seems that my grumbling worked....this morning's 07:03 arrived at Padding at 07:26.  Ok, it involved us all scurrying across to platform 2 but well done for operating on time at last.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 14:45:56 »

It actually arrived 3 minutes early at 0723.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:32:30 »

Indeed....I look to see what time the station clock says as I walk through.  In fairness it probably was a couple of minutes after the train pulled in to the station.  Hats off to all involved for being early.

This morning I was hoping for another repeat as there was a late notice platform change to platform 2 again.  Not so swift this time though  as I the walked past the clock at 07:36 - so I guess we arrived at 07:33.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:47:28 »

This morning I was hoping for another repeat as there was a late notice platform change to platform 2 again.  Not so swift this time though  as I the walked past the clock at 07:36 - so I guess we arrived at 07:33.

I arrived at about 07:10 for the 07:18 fast Turbo and I saw two non-stopping HSTs (High Speed Train) crawl past platform 2 in close succession so presumably they were delayed by the 07:03. The 07:18 departed 1 minute late and was brought to a brief stand just short of West Drayton - presumably the preceding HSTs were in a queue at Airport Junction while a HEX was allowed to proceed ahead of them? Angry The 07:18 eventually arrived at Paddington at about 07:48 some 5 minutes late, but yesterday a clear run had resulted in a 3 minute early arrival.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 16:29:29 »

Indeed....I look to see what time the station clock says as I walk through.  In fairness it probably was a couple of minutes after the train pulled in to the station.  Hats off to all involved for being early.

Close, 0734  Cheesy

Just wandering what type of stock operates this service?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 18:25:23 »

Close, 0734  Cheesy

Just wandering what type of stock operates this service?

07:03 ex Maidenhead is an HST (High Speed Train)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 19:55:23 »

presumably the preceding HSTs (High Speed Train) were in a queue at Airport Junction while a HEX was allowed to proceed ahead of them? Angry

But rich / foreign airport travellers are a lot more important than commuters!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 19:59:59 »

presumably the preceding HSTs (High Speed Train) were in a queue at Airport Junction while a HEX was allowed to proceed ahead of them? Angry

Apart from the fact that the HEX would likely have been pretty much empty, whereas the HST and numerous behind would be packed.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 20:03:03 »

Apart from the fact that the HEX would likely have been pretty much empty, whereas the HST and numerous behind would be packed.
Ah but then there penalties NR» (Network Rail - home page) have to pay BAA

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 20:04:14 »

Ah but then there penalties NR» (Network Rail - home page) have to pay BAA

So do BAA/NR pay FGW (First Great Western) when 3/4 HSTs are delayed?
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 11:17:06 »

All I know is that the 07:03 was on time this morning and arrived by 07:26 at Paddington.  Great stuff.  Now if only the doors to the last carriage were unlocked and available to be used....
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32:48 »

I received an FGW (First Great Western) SMS alert for Maidenhead-Paddington this morning to say that the 06:46, 06:53, 07:01 (?) and 07:03 may be cancelled.  So I was expecting the worst. 

Arrived at Maidenhead and everything seemed to be running pretty much to time.  Only oddity was the 07:03 operating in reverse formation. Arrived at Padd by 07:30.  Hurrah!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: