Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:55:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[17] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[8] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bustitution in The Midlands?  (Read 3343 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 23, 2009, 15:47:58 »

Out of the FGW (First Great Western) area ... do I note that the Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town train service is currently ... a bus service?  Joining Croxley Green, Norton Bridge, Newhaven Marine and perhaps a few others?  Wasn't there supposed to be a Parry People Mover on order for the line? 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 19:58:15 »

PPM(resolve) have built two Class 139s for use on the service but they were not internally identical.  The second one had somewhat different electrical wiring to the first one as a result of alterations and improvements during construction.  Whoever has to give them type approval has withheld it until there is a standard arrangement properly tested and documented and on a blueprint.

Touch of the amateurs methinks.

Where did I get that from?  Can't remember just at the moment but I'm rummaging.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 20:04:13 »

Found it.  It was in PPM(resolve)'s own newsletter (back page) here.

Here's the latest news at 16th January.

Coming soon...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 20:08:44 »

Out of the FGW (First Great Western) area ... do I note that the Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town train service is currently ... a bus service?  Joining Croxley Green, Norton Bridge, Newhaven Marine and perhaps a few others?  Wasn't there supposed to be a Parry People Mover on order for the line? 

The introduction of the units has been delayed. Roll Eyes

Because the 153 was needed for the Worcester - Gloucester trains, it had to leave in December.

For the time being, a 2 bph service operates instead of the 6 tph intended (NB, it was 4 tph with the 153).

The cynical side of me would not be surprised if the PPM(resolve) order was a lie, and that LM (London Midland - recent franchise) were looking for a way to axe the line (not true)!

Note that the lines closure WAS considered fairly recently, to be replaced by a bus.

Other info - the branch line is the shortest in the UK (United Kingdom) (probably Europe). It connects the 6tph commuter rail service to Stourbridge Bus Station.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 16:31:25 »

This is an absolute farce!

There have been trials on the branch with PPM(resolve)'s for years. The Sunday service was operated by one for a while perfectly safely was it not? So why all the problems now. We need to sort these safety lot out - a contained branch line less than a mile with speeds below 30mph does not need the same regulations as a 125mph mainline railway.

This really is the UK (United Kingdom) rail industry at its worst. It will now be really hard to persuade people to return to the train whenever the next one is!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 20:22:07 »

Ah- the stock is TWO NEW PPMs(resolve).

Heaven knows what they have done with the "trial" PPM (hopefully burnt on the tip - my opinion of buses PPMs).

And blame the EU» (European Union - about) and/or H&S (Health and Safety) for the delay.

e.g. It is because of the EU that Kidderminster station's new footbridge and lifts (construction started in Dec 07) are ready, but still not open!
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 19:39:54 »

I see in the latest Rail that this still hasn't been sorted - heads should be rolling!

Once the service restarts it will be really hard to get people to start using it again.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 22:40:14 »

I see in the latest Rail that this still hasn't been sorted - heads should be rolling!

Once the service restarts it will be really hard to get people to start using it again.

It looks like they are trying to shut the line - but the 2 PPMs(resolve) can be seen in a hut next to the platforms.

Once again pathetic EU» (European Union - about) H&S (Health and Safety) strikes again!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 18:50:49 »

PPM136002 has now been certified.   Grin

It's supposed to start running soon and be fully in service in May.

136001 is still at the candlestick makers'.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 19:40:13 »

Though interesting that LM (London Midland - recent franchise) have "found" a 153 to run the service. Maybe now they've found a unit they could use it on the Walsall - Wolves line before they lose it again.  No, that's too much to hope for isn't it.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 00:01:44 »

Though interesting that LM (London Midland - recent franchise) have "found" a 153 to run the service. Maybe now they've found a unit they could use it on the Walsall - Wolves line before they lose it again.  No, that's too much to hope for isn't it.

I was going to say the same thing. (LM's magic wand is out again!)

Perhaps I should write to LM's MD about the Walsal service.

It's such a shame that the minute the branch went back to proper train operation, the news was released of the PPM(resolve) being passed.  Cry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: