Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:37:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: refurb voyager  (Read 28941 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 18:20:45 »

I will be travelling on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) next week, and will report back.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 19:07:49 »

I will be travelling on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) next week, and will report back.

you may get lucky and get one of there hst's
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 19:12:19 »

No, I am going North in the morning and South in the afternoon.

The HSTs (High Speed Train) do the opposite, and as they are based in the North, I'll be very lucky if I get one.

I have picked a seat with a good view on the old layout. So fingers crossed it is not a refurb Voyager!
 Roll Eyes
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 19:34:10 »

No, I am going North in the morning and South in the afternoon.

The HSTs (High Speed Train) do the opposite, and as they are based in the North, I'll be very lucky if I get one.

I have picked a seat with a good view on the old layout. So fingers crossed it is not a refurb Voyager!
 Roll Eyes

Don't get me started on the stupid timings of the HSTs!!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 20:02:39 »

Don't get me started on the stupid timings of the HSTs (High Speed Train)!!
They do at least allow 8 HST journeys to pass through Birmingham each day, this would be not be the case if some had to start at the South West.  This is however of does not benefit like myself that are going north from the South West in all cases.  How Virgin were ever allowed to get away with ordering 4 coach underfloor engine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) that were clearly not up to the job of running an intercity service from Plymouth to Edinburgh, I don't know.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 20:07:21 »

And (sorry for saying it again) did Virgin really need those 5 Voyagers from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))?

If Chester could have its off peak service reduced to 2 hourly, there could be more double Voyagers.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 20:28:42 »

Why Didn't Virgin Hire and Refurb LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock), using their 57's to haul it..? Then we would have more voyagers. Alternatively why don't XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Hire LHCS and some 67's and give it a similar refurb to the HST (High Speed Train)? IMO (in my opinion) it would be quite popular Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 20:38:30 »

Why Didn't Virgin Hire and Refurb LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock), using their 57's to haul it..?
If they are going to use LHCS, they may as well use an electric loco rather than running a diesel under the wires on a completely electrified route.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 20:40:59 »

Why Didn't Virgin Hire and Refurb LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock), using their 57's to haul it..?
If they are going to use LHCS, they may as well use an electric loco rather than running a diesel under the wires on a completely electrified route.

This is true, but using their 57's would be cheaper because they are already paying for them, Also they can operate to places where the overhead wires don't go e.g. Holyhead

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 21:34:53 »

Exactly, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) need the Voyagers a lot more than VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises)!

The gov should recognise this.

Hopefully, the Pendolino order will enable some Voyagers to be transferred across.

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 22:45:20 »

better plan give virgin all the voyagers and we could have pendelino drags with 57's down south hehe  Smiley Wink
willc

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 23:22:08 »

There is a very good reason why Virgin need Super Voyagers, because they need 125mph tilting stock to operate on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) with the new high-frequency timetable.

I know they are planning to use a set of Mk3s for a Friday-only relief to Preston but at the moment Cargo-D can't supply the stock as W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) still hasn't got its own Mk3s in service and it isn't going to leave Euston until 18.46 in order to path it at 110mph non-tilt amid after the main peak rush.

There aren't enough trains to go around full stop, as we know full well in FGW (First Great Western) land. And I wait to see what cunning plan they have for the summer once the Adelantes have gone - silly me, that would be a grubby Turbo to Oxford and the Cotswolds, wouldn't it? Another lousy day for HST (High Speed Train) availability, with 180s on the 15.51 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Worcester, 15.48 Cheltenham and 17.51 Worcester (booked duty)  The Worcester pair were on Oxford/Cotswold services all day.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:22 »

And (sorry for saying it again) did Virgin really need those 5 Voyagers from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))?

If Chester could have its off peak service reduced to 2 hourly, there could be more double Voyagers.
What, you mean take trains away to give to a service that doesn't even serve London? How absurd! All those silly people who can't squeeze on a Voyager at Birmingham should simply travel to London instead!  Cheesy

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2009, 11:52:24 »

all London routes should be taken off the franchise scheme and given to private companys to invest and make money on them but they need strict regulation see what happens when toc's see all there profits things would finally improve!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 12:41:07 »

all London routes should be taken off the franchise scheme and given to private companys to invest and make money on them but they need strict regulation see what happens when toc's see all there profits things would finally improve!
No, all routes should in public ownership and not run for the benefit of shareholders.  If you have a private company running them, profit will always come before service.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: