04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 04:11:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatalities at Hayes & Harlington - merged topic  (Read 32097 times)
Boppy

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2009, 13:03:20 »

Hi,

It was a sad journey home for me last night as I was on the 23.20 semi-fast train to Oxford from Paddington that hit a person at Hayes & Harlington.

First off - if anyone here knows of the driver please pass on my sympathies to him - I thought he did remarkably well to compose himself after the incident and to inform us all that there "Had been an incident and we'll be stopped for some time."  It must be awful as it was unnerving enough sitting in the carriage with noise and the sensation of the wheels running over ballast etc

The railway staff and emergency services involved all appeared to do a professional job whilst we waited.  Thanks too to the member of rail staff who walked through the train to update us all on how long we'd be waiting for for the police to hand back the train and then the train to be checked by an engineer.

Unfortunately, Hayes & Harlington seems to be getting a number of these incidents now - it's a tragic phenomenon that's been reported before about how when a place gets a few such incidents it tends to attract more like-minded individuals to the same place.  It's hard to know what to do to prevent such incidents from happening.

Boppy.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 13:23:48 »

My symapathy to everyone involved especially including the driver and the recovery team.

Hayes and Harlington does seem to have become a hotspot.  Waverley bridge in Edinburgh (which is high above the station of the same name) has signs and a free-phone errected by the Samaritans to discourage "jumpers".  Not sure if that is a good idea or not.  There is a danger that errecting one at H&H would only add to the station's reputation and attract more sucidal people. 
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 18:48:10 »

Stupid question perhaps, and certainly an uneducated one, but isn't there an option available at H&H for installing a wire mesh like a net under the bridge? (obviously a net would be no use as it would give, meaning the drivers would most likely have unexpected company joining them via the windscreen)
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 18:51:17 »

Stupid question perhaps, and certainly an uneducated one, but isn't there an option available at H&H for installing a wire mesh like a net under the bridge? (obviously a net would be no use as it would give, meaning the drivers would most likely have unexpected company joining them via the windscreen)

Suppose it would all depend on the clearance between that and the overhead cables. The idea is good, but afaik the fatalities we have had at Hayes hasn't involved them jumping from the bridge.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 20:43:40 »

A solution is platform doors (no good as train stock varies) or a pit under the track.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 21:36:27 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) site:

20:15 London Paddington to Swansea due 00:19
This train will be terminated at Bristol Temple Meads.  It will no longer call at: Bristol Parkway, Newport South Wales, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath and Swansea.  This is due to a person hit by a train.
Last Updated: 07/02/2009 21:15

21:08 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington due 22:25
This train has been cancelled.  This is due to a person hit by a train.  Last Updated: 07/02/2009 21:20

Train services are being disrupted due to a person hit by a train between London Paddington and Reading.  Short notice alterations and delays of up to 40 minutes can be expected.  Train services are now calling at Hayes & Harlington.  Last Updated: 07/02/2009 21:24

Sadly, the FGW site has now been updated to confirm, this was a fatality.  Sad
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 22:04:26 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 22:16:35 »

rip
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 22:49:49 »

I give my deepest sympathy to the driver.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 23:50:49 »

I give my deepest sympathy to the driver.

Seconded
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 15:20:02 »

I notice you quote the 20:15 Swansea train, but train involved was actually the 19:51 Paddington - Didcot PW (Permanent Way)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 19:53:12 »

Yes, it was, Ollie.  Sad

However, my intention in quoting subsequent train services that were then being affected, was to explain the reason for delays to those services which were still short of their final destinations when I posted at 21:36.

In fact, my original post had to be edited, as updates were being made on the FGW (First Great Western) 'live updates' page even as I was compiling it.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 00:50:54 »

22:27 Heathrow Terminal 5 to Paddington (Heathrow Express) hit a person at Hayes and Harlington.

Not sure as yet whether fatality or not, but as always thoughts to driver and family of the person involved.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:03 »

Can confirm it was a fatality.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 18:34:43 »

1P51 15:29 service involved (thanks to Ollie).

Thoughts as always with those involved.

Has caused major disruption into and out of Paddington tonight with services either severely delayed or cancelled (I'm already on my third train just trying to go one stop and not even left Paddington yet!)
animationmilo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 18:48:05 »

1P51 15:29 service involved (thanks to Ollie).

Thoughts as always with those involved.

Has caused major disruption into and out of Paddington tonight with services either severely delayed or cancelled (I'm already on my third train just trying to go one stop and not even left Paddington yet!)

The 15:29 from where to where?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: