16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 02:51:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatalities at Hayes & Harlington - merged topic  (Read 32096 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 22:11:16 »

Sympathies to all involved.

I was somewhat puzzled as to why the (on time) 0800 Temple Meads to Paddington ran non stop between Bath and Reading (presumably diverted via the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury)) because of the fatality (which was east of Reading). The only possible reason I could think of was that control was already holding services at Swindon and Didcot so preferred to send it the long way round to keep it moving.     
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 22:15:27 »

Since the incident is mentioned here I thought I'd add my experience rather than starting a new thread about it (since no one has set one up totally dedicated to it).

I got to Maidenhead about 7.45am as usual today.. It didn't take long to find out what had happened.. There was an HST (High Speed Train) stopped on the down mainline platform with doors open (which they don't usually do if it's not a scheduled stop). So I headed over there..

On that particular train the information was so good. The driver was on the platform when I got there but was constantly trying to get information.. Everyone else seemed good natured.. the train manager was giving information updates very often..  All good..

I also think we were lucky as we left about 8.30 when the relief line opened, and because we were at Maidenhead we could cross over there to that line.. we subsequently passed quite a few trains waiting on the mainline as that line was still closed..

I think we were the second train to get into Paddington once it all started up again and my delay was just over half an hour which I was impressed with... :-)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 22:19:46 »

On that particular train the information was so good. The driver was on the platform when I got there but was constantly trying to get information.. Everyone else seemed good natured.. the train manager was giving information updates very often..  All good..

IMHO (in my humble opinion) in situations like this being kept informed can help difuse situations greatly (but not always). I do remember being stuck on an HST (High Speed Train) at Reading West (due to train failure) and the TM(resolve) kept on telling us they were doing their best to find out what was happening. Although this resulted in quite a few "no news" PA (Public Address) announcements at least we felt like we were not being ignored.

James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:07 »

Person hit by a train again - must've happened around 06:00.

Also a bad day for services around London Liverpool Street with a person hit by a train in Brentwood area.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 08:40:11 »

Person hit by a train again - must've happened around 06:00.

Second one in the area in a few days - someone died near Iver early on Sunday morning.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:18 »

Lost count of how many strikes there have been at H&H - there was one quite recently looking further down this forum...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 14:05:46 »

05:48 Paddington to Great Malvern, a Class 180, was the unfortunate train.  There was damage to the train as well as to the track as a result, which meant that all four lines took longer to open than they otherwise would have, though the relief lines opened fairly quickly so at least trains were getting through - albeit heavily delayed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 16:13:37 »

Not a good morning on the kennet line either - late running engineering works meant lots of delays and cancellations to trains between Newbury and Reading and there also seemed to be problems at Calthrop level cross in thatcham.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 19:34:18 »

Thoughts to everyone involved.

Isn't it time we had a full-time security presence at the known suicide hotspots such as Southall and Hayes and Harlington? OK it would cost ^250-300k a year, but surely if it just stops one of these incidents a year it would be worth it?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 21:00:25 »

What can 'security' do though?

I know of few people in the security industry who would have the necessary skills to deal with a suicidal person. You need people with counselling and negotiating skills and I don't think deploying them at a 'hotspot' would be a good use of resources. It'll just move the problem elsewhere.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 21:17:25 »

What can 'security' do though?

I know of few people in the security industry who would have the necessary skills to deal with a suicidal person. You need people with counselling and negotiating skills and I don't think deploying them at a 'hotspot' would be a good use of resources. It'll just move the problem elsewhere.
I agree totally BNM. My suspicion is that more security will nive the problem onto someone else's shoulders.its a very sad business when this happens and I really feel for the people affected by this - not least the people who have to desk with the after effects (I tried to be delicate about wording this but it is difficult)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 21:59:54 »

To reduce the risk at Hayes and Southall stations some structural work is required on platform 2 at both stations, fence off the first 20 to 30 metres of the platform from the platform stairs, the platforms are very narrow and hence very busy at this point; this would mean extending the length of platform 2 towards London especially at Hayes as this is the emergency evac station for HEX trains.

Even this would not eliminate the risk, it more than likely manifest it self elsewhere.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 22:04:43 »

On the Southern Region over the last couple of years several stations have gained fences on fast line platforms, usually preventing access to the platform but with gates that are able to be opened to allow access to the platform in the rare occasion a train stops there.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 22:52:02 »

On the Southern Region over the last couple of years several stations have gained fences on fast line platforms, usually preventing access to the platform but with gates that are able to be opened to allow access to the platform in the rare occasion a train stops there.
Both Hayes and Southall island platforms are too narrow to do that.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
HexDriver

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:22 »

To reduce the risk at Hayes and Southall stations some structural work is required on platform 2 at both stations, fence off the first 20 to 30 metres of the platform from the platform stairs, the platforms are very narrow and hence very busy at this point; this would mean extending the length of platform 2 towards London especially at Hayes as this is the emergency evac station for HEX trains.

Even this would not eliminate the risk, it more than likely manifest it self elsewhere.

The last few fatatities at Hayes including this one have occured on platform one which incidentally when the platform was extended gained a new exit leading from the platform to the adjacent car park, so a fence on platform two would have had no effect
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: