Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:11:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: XC rant thread  (Read 16422 times)
r james

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 23:26:41 »

Have virgin stopped using electronic seat reservations then? Have they reverted back to cards as was suggested  in an earlier post?

Seems a strange moove, considering that they pushed ahead and installed it on all their services!

Anyone clarify the situation?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 18:20:01 »

They have. But there are no holders for the card so they have to be folded between the seat back and the cushion!
r james

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 18:46:18 »

ANy idea why they stopped using the seat reservation system? 

I thought one of the issues was that they literally didnt have time to put in the new reservation tickets now after vigin had recast the timetable,hence why they were using electronic system? 

What was the real reason for abandoning it?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 18:52:20 »

Umm.. perhaps because it didn't work? Wink

It also caused delays at stations; dwell times were increased because of slow boarding due to people pausing at every seat to check the tiny screen with slow scrolling text. This "queuing" also meant that passengers standing near internal doors were squashed every 10 secs!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 20:32:43 »

Quote from: thetrout
What does annoy me though about seat reservations in First Class is when there is loads of empty tables, yet the person who just got on insists on sitting in their reserved seat opposite you!

Does anyone prevent you sitting somewhere else, then?

The point I was making was that I was already on the train before the person at the next stop got on an decided to sit opposite me Tongue Mind you, I feel sorry for anyone who has to sit opposite me, today was the third time I knocked my cup of tea over...  Cool *makes not to self not to be so clumbsy*

Grin Grin Grin Grin
r james

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 20:45:15 »

Umm.. perhaps because it didn't work? Wink

It also caused delays at stations; dwell times were increased because of slow boarding due to people pausing at every seat to check the tiny screen with slow scrolling text. This "queuing" also meant that passengers standing near internal doors were squashed every 10 secs!

Surely that argument doesn't stand anyway, as you either saw that the seat was reserved or that 'This seat is not reserved', and walked to find the unreserved ones?!

Its no different when theres tickets on the chairs.

Could they have reduced the text down at all maybe on the screens?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 21:33:21 »

With card, passengers without reservations head straight to uncarded seats.

With screens, passengers pause at each row and wait for the scrolling text. Becuase the screens are too small for "NOT RESERVED", they say "This seat is not reserved" on a cycle.

That causes the delay.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 22:25:58 »

With card, passengers without reservations head straight to uncarded seats.

With screens, passengers pause at each row and wait for the scrolling text. Becuase the screens are too small for "NOT RESERVED", they say "This seat is not reserved" on a cycle.

That causes the delay.

I'm not sure how much space on the screen, but maybe it could say "SIT HERE" Smiley
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 22:29:43 »

Bring back HSTs (High Speed Train) - hopefully not with FGW (First Great Western) seating and pink Mickey Mouse ears
John R

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 22:32:47 »

BT Line is spot on. With cards it's easy. You walk down the train and find a seat without one. It's obvious to you which are the unreserved seats. With electronic reservations that are above head height you have to walk down the train with your head at an unusual angle, and it takes a fraction of a second to stop at each one and check. And of course, it takes a bit longer to double check the seat number with the display.

Multiply that by 20 or more passengers per coach boarding at a principle station and it's easy to see why dwell times are increased. Thank goodness the FGW (First Great Western) refurbishment didn't include electronic seat reservations.  
willc

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 23:34:47 »

With cards it's easy. You walk down the train and find a seat without one. It's obvious to you which are the unreserved seats.

But the issue that has got GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) threatening to end free reservations is that when people don't turn up, or sit somewhere other than their reserved seat, it remains empty for the rest of the journey, as people just see the reservation card and pass on, without bothering to check what stations are indicated.

Today on my way into Oxford, I sat in a seat from Moreton-in-Marsh to Oxford that was reserved from Pershore to London. Because the train was an Adelante and would be full after Oxford, I expect someone did look closely and it probably was taken from Oxford onwards but if it had been the booked HST (High Speed Train), I'd bet it that seat would have stayed empty all the way to London.

Occasional rail users just see reserved and pass by - the electronic things aren't great but they do make you look, even if they are ignored by people much of the time on Voyagers, but that's down to the pitiful number of seats available, not the reservation system itself, though I agree a short snappy 'seat free' type message would be a good idea.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 00:44:18 »

The question is... why didnt virgin realise this when they pushed ahead using electronic seat reservations? 

Seems a bit odd to me!  Like I say, Im sure the displays could be adapted! And if all reserved seating was in one coach, it wouldnt be a problem!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 11:29:41 »

The question is... why didnt virgin realise this when they pushed ahead using electronic seat reservations? 
For the same reason Virgin went ahead and ordered the Voyagers without thinking that 4 coach underfloor engine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) may not be up to the job on long distance intercity routes?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:36:18 by Zo^ » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 14:26:22 »

With cards it's easy. You walk down the train and find a seat without one. It's obvious to you which are the unreserved seats.
Occasional rail users just see reserved and pass by - the electronic things aren't great but they do make you look, even if they are ignored by people much of the time on Voyagers, but that's down to the pitiful number of seats available, not the reservation system itself, though I agree a short snappy 'seat free' type message would be a good idea.

I think there is enough space for a non-scrolling 'Seat Unreserved' or 'Seat Available', even 'Seat not reserved'? After all, that's what the Class 222 'Meridians' say on their displays, which I think are identical to Voyagers. I'm surprised a software update hasn't changed this?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 17:03:08 »

Surely "Unreserved or Reserved" could be displayed and then it changes from Reserved to Unreserved once they arrive at the appropriate station.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: