Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
15:17 Reading to Gatwick Airport
15:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:45:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth Tramway to Close for Good?  (Read 4767 times)
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2009, 14:46:35 »

See here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7860015.stm

It would be a great shame if this historic line were to close, it could be developed into a proper tourist attraction but I'm sure the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) wouldn't be too happy!

Sad

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 20:10:07 »

Thanks for posting that, signalandtelegraph.

Yes, I think it will be verging on criminal if they let such an opportunity to restore that line slip by.  Surely, with the fairly global publicity of the Olympics in 2012 (and the fact that most of the infrastructure on this Dorset line is still there), they could re-open the branch fairly promptly?

Otherwise, as with the Portishead and Tavistock lines (just for example!), we'll all be spending the next forty years bemoaning the fact that such an ideal opportunity was missed?

Grr!  Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 20:15:26 »

It just PROVES that the Olympics are NOT going to benefit ANYONE out of London (and Londoners are having to pay for it anyway).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 20:30:55 »

Erm ... we are ALL having to pay for it ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 21:37:15 »

Londoners have an additional "Olympic Tax" on top of everything.

But you are right, we are all paying for it; not just increased taxes, but less investment in health, education, and railways.

And yet the gov still insults us all by saying the games will benefit everyone.....
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:04:15 »

There's also the matter of the Lottery millions that used to go to charities being diverted to the Games.

I've nothing against the Olympics, but they should leave them to countries that know how to organise a p*ss-up in a brewery. They talk about how much the Games will benefit the country -- I think they will be an embarrassment. Nothing will be built properly or ready on time, everything will go massively over budget, and the whole world will be watching as the western world's fastest-shrinking economy shows how we can't get our act together. Well worth diverting money from the national infrastructure, and people in need, for such a high profile fiasco.  Roll Eyes
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 14:02:09 »

There's also the matter of the Lottery millions that used to go to charities being diverted to the Games.

I've nothing against the Olympics, but they should leave them to countries that know how to organise a p*ss-up in a brewery.

How come the Greeks had it in 2004 then?  They will still be paying in 2104 though.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 14:23:50 »

All the stadia in Athens are rotting away now.
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 15:14:39 »

Does anyone know if the council have looked at conversion to ULR operation for this??

It'd be cheap, little trackwork correction needed, environmentally friendly, wouldn't necessarily interfere with the redevelopment of the old station, be an attraction in its own right and maybe feed people to the ferries from the station

But NR» (Network Rail - home page) won't be interested in a million years I would have thought.

If anyone has a contact at the council (tried to download the press release from their web site but the link doesn't work), I'd be happy to throw a note their way

Cheers

Mark
railman007

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 21:39:37 »

It's not gone yet and nothing is impossible if enough people show their support.

Here are some useful links

http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/home.asp?sv=1234

Then search for 'Weymouth Tramway'.

And for the organisation that should be listening to our concerns.....

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/

My main concern is that the correct procedure should be followed. The Weymouth Tramway is a passenger and freight carrying part of the National Rail Network. The License which Network Rail have been granted has a clause in it concerned with the disposal of network 'land' and this process must involve the Office of the Rail Regulator in any final decision making.
In the case of the Weymouth Tramway there is no land to dispose of so Network Rail may feel that they don't have to involve the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), however in their license the term 'land' is described and includes 'rights in or over land'.
It is important that no shortcuts are taken and that all those affected have their say.
Personally I feel it would be shortsighted if the 'grandfather rights' which enable  the Tramway to operate were given away before it was decided what to do with it. To resurrect the line afterwards would involve lots of new legislation and vast amounts of unnecessary paperwork.

Of course there is another side to this. Network Rail are obliged to maintain their assets so why have they let the Tramway deteriorate (if indeed they have) to a point that the Tramway has been temporarily closed for 2 years and so no operator could use it if they wanted to!
Do I smell a rat?

The world is changing. Lets not make it too difficult for those who may need this Tramway in the future!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 21:57:55 »

Thanks very much for your post, including some very useful information and links, railman007 - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum! Grin

I'm sure our members will also have more to contribute on this subject - and will provide their support!

railman007

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 18:31:41 »

Many thanks for the welcome message.

In return here is another interesting link....

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\Network+Code\Network+Change\Completed+Proposals\Wessex\NCG12007WESX001+Weymouth+Tramway+OOU++(temporary)&pageid=0&root=

Sorry it is so long - I hope it works.

If not then to outline the contents, these are the letters between Network Rail and SWT (South West Trains), First Engineering and Freightliner Group all of whom were consulted about the temporary closure of the Tramway. First Engineering and SWT had no comment or objection but Freightliner were quite scathing in their comments  about the whole process that allows Network Rail to carryout temporary closures in this way and expects Network Rail to open discussions with them about any temporary closures before the end of the period.

I wonder if that has happened?

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 18:44:16 »

Many thanks for the welcome message.

In return here is another interesting link....

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\Network+Code\Network+Change\Completed+Proposals\Wessex\NCG12007WESX001+Weymouth+Tramway+OOU++(temporary)&pageid=0&root=

Sorry it is so long - I hope it works.

If not then to outline the contents, these are the letters between Network Rail and SWT (South West Trains), First Engineering and Freightliner Group all of whom were consulted about the temporary closure of the Tramway. First Engineering and SWT had no comment or objection but Freightliner were quite scathing in their comments  about the whole process that allows Network Rail to carryout temporary closures in this way and expects Network Rail to open discussions with them about any temporary closures before the end of the period.

I wonder if that has happened?

I suspect that Freightliner are more concerned about this process and not this particular line, if this is accepted as principle it could affect other lines that may have an impact on their business or potential business on a line.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
railman007

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 18:43:07 »

Some more facts gleaned from the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about))

Proposed disposals of land by Network Rail are regulated by ORR through condition 26 of its network license. The license condition is there to prevent disposals of land that might be needed for the future development of the railway network or for integrated transport purposes.

From 1 April 2008 the ORR have made some changes to the way in which this process works and now require Network Rail to undertake a wide stakeholder consultation before submitting its proposals to the ORR. When making its submission, Network Rail must ensure that the views of stakeholders are no more than six months old and that they have been reasonably resolved. The ORR have established the stakeholders they would expect Network Rail to consult but have not specified how long they should take to consult them. Network Rail must provide evidence of the stakeholders' views in making its submission to the ORR. The ORR will evaluate whether Network Rail has undertaken an effective consultation when they make their decision and may ask them to consult further stakeholders. The details of the process are set out further in the ORR Regulatory Arrangements document.....

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/361.pdf

The ORR believe the process is fair and transparent and they would expect Network Rail to consult widely. This includes train operators such as South West Trains (SWT (South West Trains)), the Department for Transport who set the terms of the SWT franchise, Passenger Focus who represent the views of passengers and County and District local authorities who consider transport strategy and planning issues respectively.

The ORR have asked Network Rail whether it has any plans to dispose of land at Weymouth and they have stated that an area of land fronting Weymouth Station and providing a taxi rank and pick up/drop off area is under consideration for redevelopment in conjunction with Dorset County Council as a transport interchange. The proposals are still in their infancy and consultation will take place as required.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: