22:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 16:16:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this good news  (Read 23483 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 07:25:07 »

There is a chance that because these trains are being built by Hitachi they might not be too bad. The other group bidding to win the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) contract included Bombardier which gave the UK (United Kingdom) rail network...yes you've guessed it Voyagers!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 08:20:35 »

but Timmer built to what old beardie wanted.........with all due respect the 170 is not a bad bit of kit and Bombardier built that

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2009, 08:37:22 »

The other thing that may have steered DfT» (Department for Transport - about) choice is the work load of manufactures, there is a big orders planned and or ongoing for Thameslink, London Overground, London Underground and other ex BR (British Rail(ways)) suburban and rural fleet renewals and enhancements

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:13 »

UK (United Kingdom) rail network
Why do people insist on using this term?  The UK has two quite separate rail networks:  The National Rail network of Great Britain and the Northern Ireland network.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2009, 10:56:34 »

UK (United Kingdom) rail network
Why do people insist on using this term?  The UK has two quite separate rail networks:  The National Rail network of Great Britain and the Northern Ireland network.

There are actually more than that London Underground, the Glasgow "clockwork oranage" Tyne and Weir metro ......

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 12:56:32 »

It's a bit of a concern that the Paddington to Plymouth/Penzance route is only an optional extra and not part of the main order as this leaves the possibility that we could end up with Voyager style underfloor engine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) on that route.

Indeed, Zo^: from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page),

A Cornwall MP (Member of Parliament) is calling on the government to re-think plans for a fleet of new trains for the Great Western and East Coast main lines.  The Department for Transport has given the go-ahead for the ^7bn funding to replace trains 20-30 years old. 
However, Matthew Taylor, Truro and St Austell MP, says south west England will not benefit enough as the trains will only come as far as Bristol.  He has branded the lack of inclusion "calamitous" and wants a re-think.

TravelWatch SouthWest, the public transport passenger watchdog for the region, plans to campaign for more "super express" trains to be built to replace existing high speed trains on other key corridors in the south west of England.  The organisation will focus particularly on routes serving Cheltenham Spa, Exeter, Gloucester, Penzance, Plymouth and Taunton.

Chris Irwin, chair of TravelWatch SouthWest, said: "TravelWatch SouthWest will continue to campaign vigorously for the build of additional new super express trains for deployment on other key routes in the region.  We will also campaign for the early electrification of the Great Western Main Line and for additional diesel rolling stock to alleviate the terrible overcrowding happening every day on regional and local trains in the South West''.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7887086.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 13:07:06 »

Is there any serious reason though why none of these could be produced for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))? Im sure a few could be used to supplement the fleet? 

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) for XC is definitely in the ITT (Invitation to Tender), as one of the future phases. The recent announcement only seems to cover phase 1, ECML (East Coast Main Line) and GWML (Great Western Main Line) AFAICT (as far as I can tell). I guess they'll hang fire on XC until they know what can be cascaded (eg Meridians) depending on if there is any electrification?  ECML HSTs (High Speed Train) > EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about)/MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) , Meridian > XC, then later IEPs to EMT/MML is another option...

Paul
r james

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 23:10:52 »

Yeah, I personally would rather see all of the meridians being transferred to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), as I have said many times before, it would create a more uniform fleet os train interiors and standards etc.

The longer Meridians would be perfect for XC. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2009, 17:13:26 »

It is begining to look as though this may not be such good news for passengers

According to Rail* the new trains will be in formations of 5 or 10 vehicles, so thats mainly 5 vehicle formations then ! With a few 10s.

No mention is made is made of different designs of power car for different train lengths, so presumably either the 5 car ones will be very overpowered or the 10 car ones  underpowered.
It does not look as though the 5 car ones will use only a single power car, since no mention is made of driving trailers.

It would also appear that they count the power cars in the number of vehicles which is a bit misleading since the diesel power cars will have no seating, and the electric ones only limited seating.
Thats like calling the present HSTs (High Speed Train) 10 car trains.

Seating layout will presumably be high density bus seats, like all new trains Sad

The inclusion of a small diesel generator in the electric trains certainly sounds like a good idea, able to run the A/C or proceed at much reduced speed when the wires come down, as they will !

And at least the diesel version will have two power cars for "get you home redundancy" like the HSTs.

* issue 612, page 6

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 13:58:00 »

According to Rail* the new trains will be in formations of 5 or 10 vehicles, so thats mainly 5 vehicle formations then ! With a few 10s.
No mention is made is made of different designs of power car for different train lengths, so presumably either the 5 car ones will be very overpowered or the 10 car ones  underpowered.
It does not look as though the 5 car ones will use only a single power car, since no mention is made of driving trailers.
...and the electric ones only limited seating.
Seating layout will presumably be high density bus seats, like all new trains Sad

The actual numbers of 10 and 5 car units is given precisely (in terms of daily diagrams required) in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s ITT (Invitation to Tender). It certainly isn't mostly 5s with a few 10s.
The 10 car diesel has 2 power cars. There is no 5 car diesel only variant. The 5 car bi-mode has a single diesel power car as shown in Hitachi's brief.  The electric driving car of the bi-mode (it is not a driving trailer) has about 60 odd seats using Hitachi's seating capacity figures.
Seating layout is covered in detail in the Train Technical Specification, on DfT's site, which is a bit too detailed to summarise, however the ratios of airline to table seating are all in there for the three types of train, intercity, interurban, and commuter. As an example, the intercity standard class has 50/50 airline and table. Achieved total seat numbers and seating pitches are in the Hitachi spec.

DfT ITT: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/iep/iepinvitationtotender/iepinvitationtotender.pdf
DfT Train Technical Specification: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/iep/iepinvitationtotender/ieptraintechnicalspecifi.pdf
Hitachi info sheet: http://www.agilitytrains.com/assets/pdf/AT-090205-Key_Facts-Released-1_5.pdf

Hope this helps you find some of the facts...

Paul
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 14:43:51 »

Thanks for the above links, which I have only viewed briefly as yet.

Whilst I find your information somwhat re-assuring, I have seen so many new trains introduced that have been shorter, with reduced legroom and primarily bus seats that I have become somwhat cynical.

I note with concern the statement that the interior layout can be altered to meet the needs of TOCs (Train Operating Company), I cant imagine that FGW (First Great Western) would make any positive changes !
After all, complaints about lack of seats are allways understood to mean that customers want high density bus seating.
And of course there is still time de-spec or simplify the trains "lets only build the interurban variant" for example.

Whilst we may hope that the new trains will have a proper restaurant, it does not look very likely, probably wont even have a buffet if other new trains are anything to go by!.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 23:53:55 »

The Hitachi info sheet certainly seems to suggest that the self powered variety will indeed have only eight passenger coaches.  I cant see how any more could be added at a later date without magically getting more power from somewhere.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2009, 08:45:20 »

If the wires ever do get to red soil country, I can't see them penetrating west of Exeter.  I am told that current loadings west of Newbury on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) are not exactly encouraging, other than at peaks and given the apparent intent to confine electrification to the M4 corridor, a long term diesel IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) option is perhaps the best the south-west can hope for, at least before 2020.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2009, 16:12:29 »

If the wires ever do get to red soil country, I can't see them penetrating west of Exeter.  I am told that current loadings west of Newbury on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) are not exactly encouraging, other than at peaks and given the apparent intent to confine electrification to the M4 corridor, a long term diesel IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) option is perhaps the best the south-west can hope for, at least before 2020.

Funny that, don't think I have EVER been on a lightly loaded train towards London (and this is at Newton Abbot)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2009, 16:25:15 »

The Hitachi info sheet certainly seems to suggest that the self powered variety will indeed have only eight passenger coaches.  I cant see how any more could be added at a later date without magically getting more power from somewhere.

Oh dear, Why are new trains always too short.  The basic economic principle behind trains which has been true for 175 years is that longer trains cost less to operate per passenger.  If you are only carrying a few dozen people you can probably do it cheaper in a bus.  I don't see how you can say that there is insufficient  demand for travel to justify an upgrade when demand is artifically surpressed by high fares on every intercity route 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: