Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:12 Reading to Newbury
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:08:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Points - not much of a help, apparently?  (Read 3173 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 13, 2009, 21:37:43 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):
Emergency help points at 22 unstaffed railway stations in West and South Yorkshire are not working, a BBC investigation has found. 
The help points are designed to connect people to the police if they are in trouble but 22 out of the 36 tested by Look North did not work.
A similar number of points failed to work 12 months ago, when Northern Rail pledged to fix the problem.
The company apologised and said there had been a problem with its suppliers.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7889483.stm

We don't have help points at Nailsea.  However, I wonder if the experience of those using FGW (First Great Western) stations where they are installed reflects this rather alarming experience in the North?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 22:07:10 »

At least the stations in the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) have them

Hartlebury station, in Worcestershire (unstaffed, derelict etc.) has a LM (London Midland - recent franchise) Information Poster which clearly states that "Customer Help Points are located on both platforms."

However, no such systems have ever been in place.

IMO (in my opinion) that is worse than having a broken system.... Angry
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 22:29:25 »

I personally am not aware of any issues with the help points across the FGW (First Great Western) area.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 22:47:04 »

Excellent, Ollie - that's what I rather hoped would be the answer!  Wink

It's difficult for me to form a view, though, as I don't have personal experience of relying on them - but I know they do at Parson Street, Bedminster - and Melksham - just for example! Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:21:14 »

Excellent, Ollie - that's what I rather hoped would be the answer!  Wink

It's difficult for me to form a view, though, as I don't have personal experience of relying on them - but I know they do at Parson Street, Bedminster - and Melksham - just for example! Grin

Regulars no longer rely on the help point at Melksham. 

It feels like it's been broken more often than it's been in service since First took over; last time I was at the station (last Sunday) the help point was dead - I was on my way to Milton Keynes (went by car - rail journey to MK (Milton Keynes) will be impractical until East - West reopens  Wink ) and haven't been back to look again since.   I will be there (press / photo shoot this afternoon with some VIPs) and it'll be interesting to see whether it's working or not ... I'll add an update here.

For anyone reading this thread, new to the forum.  Melksham is a Wiltshire town with a population of some 22,000, and that's set to grow to around 30,000 in the next 15 years.   Rail traffic grew (from a very low base) dramatically from 2001 to 2006 - when First took over the operation of the train service and withdrew all peak hour and daytime trains, leaving just round trips from Swindon to Westbury at 06:18 (now 06:15 !) and 18:45.   Although there are requirements for stations to have public phones, a dispensation has been given for Melksham; regulars check on line before setting off from home, carry mobile phones, and have backup plans in case the train lets them down - numbers of other regular users to call for information on whether the train is actually coming, car pooling plans if they have to drive or get a lift ...

I understood that it was a franchise committment that the help points were to be replaced by someting more reliable / more flexible than a recorded message.  Ours are NOT yet the model that's talked about in Yorkshire on which you can do high-tech things like hold a two way conversation.  Was there any time scale on that or is it just "some time in the 10 years if it can't be quietly brushed aside"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:54:20 »

I personally am not aware of any issues with the help points across the FGW (First Great Western) area.

Taplow's have not worked properly for years. Unless they have been repaired in teh last week.

Ours appeared in Private Eye so we're one up on the rest.

Apparently they are only for train information, and that's from someone "Up North", not FGW so it's second hand inforatmion from what FGW tell them.

More importantly they cannot put you through easily to the emergency services if there is a serious incident on the station. Unlike the TFL (Transport for London) one which have two buttons one for information and a red one for emergency.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:07:18 by eightf48544 » Logged
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 14:26:05 »

The help point at Parson St has always worked when I've tried it, it's been very useful to me. One time it didn't explain what had happened to a train that disappeared (turned out it was missing us out to regain lost time) but at least it started correctly telling me the next train wasn't for an hour. Last time I tried the one at Stapleton Rd it was broken for months but i think that was a couple of years ago now.

They get broken easily, but they're still a vast improvement on no information at all, which is what we had previously at small stations throughout my lifetime.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 14:49:55 »

Last time I travelled up the Cotswold line (admittedly some months ago) all the help points had stickers across them declaring them out of use. At least the majority of those stations have an automated PA (Public Address) though which give you some idea of when trains are going to turn up.

The only time I actually used one of the "press button and talk to someone" help points was at Newbury Racecourse. It worked fine, except that the person answering the call said that there were no trains for the next 45 minutes. As she was telling me this an up-Exeter HST (High Speed Train) pulled in and picked us all up, which was a nice surprise given that I was expecting an all-stations Turbo to Reading.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 19:32:23 »

I will be there (press / photo shoot this afternoon with some VIPs) and it'll be interesting to see whether it's working or not ... I'll add an update here.

Nope ... it wasn't working at half past three this afternoon  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 21:38:16 »

Help Points are meant to be gradually being re done anyway, so where some are still running the old system they are prone to failure, and just seem very temperamental, which is obviously annoying.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:10:01 »

.... Ours are NOT yet the model that's talked about in Yorkshire on which you can do high-tech things like hold a two way conversation.  Was there any time scale on that ..... ?

Answering my own question .... from November 2007 ...

http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4661.0

Q) When will the FGW (First Great Western) unstaffed stations including ones in the Bristol area receive information screens & two-way communication (which do not depend on traveller's mobile phones)?

AG) All stations will get a 'Help and Information Point', with push-button contact to a human operator, within the next year or so.  Severn Beach line sooner than that, of course.   

tramway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 16:33:43 »

Filton's have always been a bit hit or miss, if not working then they are general about 12 hours adrift.

When pressed at 5pm you will get 'the next train to arrive at platform X will be be the 07xx' etc etc.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 21:52:34 »

The one on the car park side in Bruton works normally. but that only tells you when the Trains are due and if they are delayed. The help point on the Down Line to Castle Cary is a little tempermental Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: