22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 09:01:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photography on FGW/Network Rail property  (Read 20945 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 21:32:04 »

Sorry, plymothian, but I don't think you should be doing that:

Avoid wearing anything which is similar in colour to safety clothing, such as high -visibility jackets, as this could cause confusion to drivers or other railway employees.

See http://nrekb.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/guidelines_for_rail_enthusiasts.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 22:28:57 »

Chris is correct, only authorized rail staff should wear a hi viz!
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 22:36:19 »

Then how do builders, workmen, police officers cope then?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 18:31:05 »

A FGW (First Great Western) employee taking photo's of rolling stock from the railway bridge at Newton Abbot, was apparently stopped by the local police.

They took his name, address etc.  Apparently the case for his camera tripod could have been mistaken for a 'rocket launcher'
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 18:50:29 »

A FGW (First Great Western) employee taking photo's of rolling stock from the railway bridge at Newton Abbot, was apparently stopped by the local police.

They took his name, address etc.  Apparently the case for his camera tripod could have been mistaken for a 'rocket launcher'

Think I know who that might be...

Not good!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 20:45:26 »

I am virtually every day taking photos of very key and sensitive equipment on the network, but then that is need for the work I do.

On stations all visitors should sign in with the station supervisor (visitor being someone not waiting for a train taking a photo is not waiting for a train) if the station is unmanned the the Area manager should be informed.  There are many and varied reasons for signing in most of it has to do with the property owners / occupiers duty of care to the visitor, uses and staff etc. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:39 »

Then how do builders, workmen, police officers cope then?

Railway high-vis for use on or about the line meets very specific requirements, the most obvious of which is that it is a defined shade of orange (rather than yellow which is much more commonly in general use). In the case of vests it also needs to have detachable fastenings at the shoulders and waist, since these garments can get caught on moving equipment and need to tear off easily (the same does not apply to garments with long sleeves). For anyone who really wants to research it the relevant group standard is GO/RT 3279.

It is definitely not advisable to wear any item conforming to GO/RT 3279 on railway premises if you are not a member of staff on duty (and I suspect this could potentially land you in serious trouble).

The waters are muddied a little bit because FGW (First Great Western) issues station staff with high-vis vests as part of their uniform (orange for duty managers/supervisors, yellow/navy for despatch staff, yellow/orange for customer service and revenue staff). However, these are *not* approved high-vis garments for use on or about the line, they just serve to make staff more visible to customers. The fact that these garments are not approved for use trackside isn't much of an issue since the vast majority of station staff are not trained in personal track safety and so are not authorized to be on the line anyway.

As a general rule I would always err on the side of caution and remove *any* high-vis clothing I was wearing before entering railway premises. I've been mistaken for railway staff in the past just because I was wearing a shirt and tie and seemed to know where I was going.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 11:28:11 »

It is definitely not advisable to wear any item conforming to GO/RT 3279 on railway premises if you are not a member of staff on duty (and I suspect this could potentially land you in serious trouble).

Its not advisable, but I don't think you could get into serious trouble provided you were not doing anything illegal and keeping to public places.  AFAIK (as far as I know) there is no offense of "impersonating railway staff" in the same way that there is with Police officers.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 14:03:21 »

I'm not aware of a specific offence either, but I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that there was; there is some quite draconian legislation in railway law (particularly in the Regulation of Railways Act 1889). As an example, the offence of railway trespass is a criminal matter (rather than a civil matter as for other forms of trespass).

As a member of heritage railway staff in a safety critical capacity I have various GO/RT 3279 items but I'd never consider wearing them on railway premises other than my own both as a courtesy to staff and to avoid any potential confusion.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 19:11:49 »

PTS (Personal Track Safety) holders have to have the name of their "Sentinel Sponsor" on the back of HiVis clothing (Sentinel is data base and is the name of the proff of track competencies). 

For staff platforms fall into the category of being "Lineside" and if you are with in 1.25 metre of the platform edge you are classed as "being on or about the line" where a whole lot of rules call RIMINI start to apply, however Station platform staff are classed as working in a "High Street Environment" ie where the public would normally be expected to go that is why they do not need HiVis to GO/RT 3279 same applies to staff in retail outlets.  If you were to wear HiVis clothing on platforms you are likely to be challenged for a Sentinel card and RIMINI, also you are likely to be pestered by joe public wanting to know what time the next train to Evercreach Junction departs.

If you want to take photos 1) request permission from the station supervisor 2) only go where a normal passenger would go.  Remember the railway is private land including stations it is not a public right of way.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 08:44:10 »

Re-opening a really old thread here to add a link to a copy of the (now old) guidance letter from ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) to its members.  Suggestion made elsewhere to print and carry a copy around.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/acpo.pdf

In reallity, don't go outside public areas, don't do anything dangerous or that would interfere with the operation of the railway (and that includes the use of flash, and the use of tripod in awkward places), don't come across as threatening.  It's a good idea to use your head / check in with station staff if you're going to be around for a while and / or could be seen as suspicious or loitering. This letter is posted because it came to my attention with morning, not because of any specific incident.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 11:27:49 »

I don't think 'good idea' is strong enough - as others have stated, you *must* sign in after obtaining permission where facilities allow.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 16:25:06 »

I don't think 'good idea' is strong enough - as others have stated, you *must* sign in after obtaining permission where facilities allow.

I dread to think how long the queue to sign in is on occasions like this:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/167B3/production/_88438029_hi031652745.jpg

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 16:28:57 »

Indeed, but is for station management to grant exemptions, not something to be decided by the photographer
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: