15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:41:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No more catering on NX trains?  (Read 5018 times)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2009, 16:17:29 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1156563/End-buffet-car-Rail-company-plans-scrap-board-catering-credit-crunch.html

Richard Bowker says catering on trains may have to be scrapped as it's running at a loss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 16:38:59 »

They will only dig themselves a hole. If you can't get food which if travelling from London - Edinburgh I would expect and actually invest in, then most people will probably fly.

National Express is a disgrace considering that they have already slashed restaurant services.

Its about time the government had a rethink about their hopeless system of franchises. They are quite clearly not sustainable. Before NX does any more damage to the UK (United Kingdom) rail network they should hand back the keys to C2C, East Anglia and East Coast.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 17:06:46 »

They'll be charging us to use the loo next, or my name's not Ryan Eire!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 17:35:10 »

They only made ^110 million in profits - yes, axe the buffet car!

In fact... Why bother to run trains at all? They have to pay the gov to run the franchise, they have to pay staff. Why do they run it? What's in it for them?

D/m - apparently c2c is ok (apart from the embarrassment of a name), but yes - they need to be BANNED from running any UK (United Kingdom) rail services NOW.

They are awaful - trust me, I used Central Trains regularly!

Oh - and did I say that this article makes me ANGRY. Angry Angry
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 17:54:34 »

In defence of National Express pre-Bowker, Wessex Trains and Midland Main Line were pretty good TOCs (Train Operating Company) but those were in the days when franchises were run pretty much like services were under BR (British Rail(ways)). Now they are run to bleed every penny to pay the government and the shareholders of the companies running the franchises.

We can't say we weren't warned a few years ago when these franchises were awarded that this would happen and sure enough it is with admin job cuts, cuts in ticket office opening hours, cuts in frontline staff and now cuts in catering provision.

Maybe the TOCs are taking advice from the head of Ryanair Michael O'Leary? Lets hope they don't go this far though!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1156984/Ryanairs-Michael-OLeary-set-charge-passengers-1-use-toilets.html

Its bad enough that Network Rail charge to use the toilets at major stations.

G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 18:03:39 »

They'll be charging us to use the loo next, or my name's not Ryan Eire!

Which you would have to pre-book on line.  Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 19:08:56 »

Also ensuring that you only weigh 10kg Wink
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 19:13:49 »

Before or after you used the lav...?
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:24:33 »

My limited stipend means that it is impossible for me to partake of on board catering.  Nevertheless, my dear wife always prepares a nourishing and wholesome pick-nick lunch which I take with me.  On several occasions, I am privileged to share it with those less fortunate, although the reaction of youths from Par to pilchard sandwiches and dandelion & burdock is not always encouraging.

My point is that before on train catering, it was possible to obtain lunch and dinner baskets from principal stations.  What a wonderful business opportunity for station buffets.  Whilst I am in favour of rendering unto Ceasar etc, it does seem that this action by National Express is a little short sighted and their loss could be another's gain.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:30 »

My point is that before on train catering, it was possible to obtain lunch and dinner baskets from principal stations.  What a wonderful business opportunity for station buffets.  Whilst I am in favour of rendering unto Ceasar etc, it does seem that this action by National Express is a little short sighted and their loss could be another's gain.

Perhaps the withdrawl of buffet and restaurant cars is going to send us back to a bygone era;  as I recall, the buffet concession at Swindon from the early days of Great Western required that all trains halt there for 10 minutes to allow for appropriate marketing and sale activity.

Of course, that wouldn't work these days - with the overcrowded trains that we have around these days, 10 minutes might not prove to be long enough.   How about taking off all on-train catering and putting half hour stops into every service passing through Moreton-in-Marsh, Castle Cary, and Swindon  Grin

Ooops - I'm a month early in making this proposal

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:56:31 »

I think that NX cutting catering on trains is a disgrace. Travelling from Newcastle down to London without the oppertunity to food and drink??? outragous. It should not be allowed!!

I find that onboard catering for long distance travel is essential. Does this mean they are also withdrawing the complimentary items from First Class??

I think that would resort to me travelling with our favourite operators (VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) & XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))) or maybe the fantastic GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) Grin

Equally the article regarding Ryanair's charging for the loos is also slightly worrying. I wonder how many people will resort to the "I haven't got a pound method...?? Grin )

With regards to railway stations charging to use the toilets. I think it's unfair, particularly if you have to hold a valid ticket (Birmingham New Street springs to mind) to access them. The bad part is paying for a toilet that isn't even clean Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 13:00:42 »

I've arrived at Paddington before and made it as far as Tower Bridge before able to use a toilet that was free. In excellent condition too.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 21:43:02 »

It looks as if, not untypically, the Mail has a rather more hysterical take on this issue than many other papers. At least this time they haven't blamed it on immigrants, minorities or young people, who seem to be responsible for most bad things in Daily Mail Land.  Wink

I'm setting myself up to be shot down for snobbery here, but what I consider to be "higher quality" papers like the Independent and the G**rd**n also report on this issue in a slightly more cool-headed way:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rail-funding-row-descends-into-food-fight-1633394.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/feb/27/national-express-train-franchises

So,  Bowker is threatening to withdraw catering. He hasn't done it yet and I very much doubt that he would: I suspect it may be a shot across the bows of the government because he wants them to give NXEC (National Express East Coast) more money. I don't think any long-distance train operator in their right mind would really countenance withdrawing all catering on-board, especially with competition on Anglo-Scottish from VWC who would no doubt immediately fire up their (superb!) publicity machine when they realized what a PR (Public Relations) coup they were being handed.

I am in two minds about this issue though. Part of me thinks that GNER (Great North Eastern Railways)'s bid failed so it was idiotic of NX to bid for a higher premium over what remained of the franchise: having made their bed, maybe they should be forced to lie in it. However the other part of me does not want to see customers having to suffer because of NX's ineptitude and avarice when they tendered for the franchise. Part of the problem is that given the amounts of money that have recently been pissed up the wall to rescue bankers, the sums of money that are being tossed around in terms of railway franchises (which are huge) start to look like chicken feed.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 22:51:07 »

I'm the same - can't stand the Mail.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:53 »

I'm the same - can't stand the Mail.

Lazy, rhetorical journalism. Thoroughly nasty little tabloid. Damn good place to advertise and reach 'Middle Britain' though. Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: