Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:57:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trainspotting to be banned  (Read 8819 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 14:42:00 »

I am simply outraged that I am being singled out here  Cheesy

In which case I apologise, I should have added a Tongue to my post, it was ment to be tounge in cheek Wink Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 20:42:06 »

I think the Mail is lying.

Shocked

Surely not?

The trouble is that a large slice of 'Middle' Britain believes without question, every word they publish. 

It has been pointed out that 'spotters' are friends of the railway. From an inside perspective, it is good to have extra eyes and ears open, particularly when they are on your side. 

On a lighter note, I understand that it would be possible for potential terrorists to use spotting as a cover for their activities, but IMO (in my opinion) they would never succeed in getting the 'look', or the badges and pens for that matter. Grin

The man speak sense  Grin  Agree 100% with all of that.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 22:30:48 »

See also a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News video report, at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7953080.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 17:08:19 »

And the evil twin get's in on the act.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/90122/Train-photos-pose-security-risk

I do like the first comment.  Grin
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 21:20:25 »

On a lighter note, I understand that it would be possible for potential terrorists to use spotting as a cover for their activities, but IMO (in my opinion) they would never succeed in getting the 'look', or the badges and pens for that matter. Grin

Or the 'socks and sandal' look, along with the grubby anorak, and trousers pulled up to armpits! Grin
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 21:26:24 »

Just confirms what I've long thought - time for the Revolution. Bring back Mrs T or somebody in her ilk. As usual, common sense gone out the window on account of a load of bureaucrats/jobsworths.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 22:56:19 »

There's a certain Dawlish resident known as "death"

Im sure vacman can ellaborate Wink
Or the 'socks and sandal' look, along with the grubby anorak, and trousers pulled up to armpits! Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 23:21:08 »

And the evil twin get's in on the act.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/90122/Train-photos-pose-security-risk

I do like the first comment.  Grin

The first comment does show how the timing of this story puts it into perspective!

On the BBC Video, I feel sorry for the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) woman - now broadcast across the world, and public enemy number one for trainspotters.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 12:38:30 »

I have no sympathy I'm afraid.

She was rude and her attitude sucks.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 18:40:25 »

I have no sympathy I'm afraid.

She was rude and her attitude sucks.

i think its 50/50 she was ignorent very ignorent, however after asking him to turn the camera off he proceeded to point it at her face and carry on filming which is equally ignorent as is not making staff aware of his precence, now ok i confess that when i go with my camera i rarly ask for permision which is bad on my part before i decided that i was going to start photographing trains and stations i felt it prudent to research railway rules and bylaws something this man did not do, besides if you ran a pub or a hotel how wold you feel if someone was to just walk in and start taking pictures? i cant walk onto a platform without buying some kind of ticket as i feel its wrong
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 18:44:06 »

What I find most amusing is how she approached him as if he was about to jump on the tracks or something. He was hardly a danger to anybody else was he!!!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 18:48:19 »

What I find most amusing is how she approached him as if he was about to jump on the tracks or something. He was hardly a danger to anybody else was he!!!

well like i said she seemed very ignorent but were only getting one side of the story, he could have been at the end of the platform in the out of bounds area, over the yellow line, who knows unfortunatly now and again in this life people just randomly for no decent reason act like pr**ks, never going to stop that, im just giving the member of staff the benifit of doubt as she was not invited to give a personal statement
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 18:49:22 »

well like i said she seemed very ignorent but were only getting one side of the story, he could have been at the end of the platform in the out of bounds area, over the yellow line, who knows unfortunatly now and again in this life people just randomly for no decent reason act like pr**ks, never going to stop that, im just giving the member of staff the benifit of doubt as she was not invited to give a personal statement

Incase you havn't seen the video, he was behind the yellow line near to the station canopy.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 21:43:55 »

Letter to today's Telegraph reasonably quotes the Network Rail's "Guidelines for Railway Enthusiasts" and then goes on to quote the bit about informing the DSM at Major stations.
Does Macclesfield quite fit the bill as a major station? and moreover, the gent in question was seeing off a relative, and thought he'd snap some trains whilst on platform.
I just see the whole thing as quite bizarre...picking the low-hanging fruit, to use the politicos' most recent trendy expression...anyone like to hazard a guess at who coined that one (it's a good one mind!) Huh
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 21:36:38 »

"Low hanging fruit" is a long standing example of management consultant speak/jargon that's been around for years. Unlike other examples of the genre (eg "delayering") it's actually quite seductive in the way it rolls off the tongue - better than "quick wins" or "easy targets", both of which are spot on but don't sound quite so "intellectual".

Of course, low hanging fruit doesn't require mich energy to harvest so shouldn't command high fees.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: