Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 18:46:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[46] Misleading advertising?
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrified and shaken - how do I follow this up........not FGW but cry for help  (Read 3542 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: March 26, 2009, 23:09:09 »

ok, this is NOT FGW (First Great Western) but I thought some of you may know how I could try to follow this up.  I accidentally got on the wrong train this morning - was supposed to be get the normal BNS (Barnes (not Birmingham New Street)) to Euston train that stops at Cov but accidentally (due to not being awake enough) got onto the one that runs non stop to Euston.  I was going to Hemel - TM(resolve) was great - said he sees it all the time and sold me a ticket that would get me through the barriers at Euston as he felt the train should be better signed!

So - At Euston - got on the 0905 Euston to Tring train - decided to get some sleep - was ok until Watford where a  school trip joined the train.  Following this I have the following issues:

1. There was 1 teacher visible to about 30 children (age 14-15ish I would guess) - there may have been more but it was not evident - most children stood in the main carriage but about 10 went into the first class compartment (was a LM (London Midland - recent franchise) Desiro if that helps)
2. On seeing me half asleep they start banging coke bottle on the tables - sticking a radio next to my ear, shouting and being obnoxious - teacher would have heard it through the doors but did nothing.  I thought about finding the TM but both exits to the compartment were blocked by two rather large boys and being a 5'3'' female - I wasnt going to take them on
3. It was only a short journey but until they got off at Apsley - they tried everything to harass me - boasting about the last time they were on a trip they emptied all the first class carriages
4. To be frank - I was scared shitless
5. When I went to find the TM after they got off - he was hiding in the cab at the joining of two trains............. said he couldnt do anything as it was a 12 car and there should be two conductors but he was only 1 and so he was there to dispatch the train and that was that.  He said he'd contact Euston to see if it was a notified trip to identify the school but he couldnt promise anything
5. Do trains have CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision)?  I would really like to follow up on this - I was scared to even try to look to identify the school since any reaction of life from me just encouraged them (and I'm not, as you may have gathered over the years) a shrinking violet.
6. Is there anything LM or BTP (British Transport Police) may be able to do if I make a formal complaint - I wish I'd have had the guts to try to identify the school - but even moving my head caused more of them to pile in and start shouting in my ear

I know what I SHOULD have done - phoned the police whilst on the train - reported it and tried to get the BTP involved - but I suspect my mobile would be non existent now, and I would have just  antagonized them more. 

I really dont want the annoying  scroates to get away with it - and I think the school should be held to account

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 23:13:56 »

oh yeah - and they were all black - which doesnt help either since I'm sure someone, if I  could pursue it, would bring out the - you were racist and perceiving them to be threatening!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 23:33:06 »

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience... Embarrassed

I would definately make a formal complaint to London Midland. Being intimidated like that is out of order and the TM(resolve) should have done something about it. Equally if you know where these scroats got on, then you should be able to identify the school. I would also make a complaint to them, because to be brutaly honest, they shouldn't have been in FC(resolve) and i'm suprised the teacher didn't do anything.

Don't worry about the racism perception. They shouldn't have been there, end of!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 23:36:35 »

You must call BTP (British Transport Police). The number is 0800 40 50 40. I deal with them regularly and I know they will take it seriously. If the train was fitted with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), they are empowered to request a download. You will need to be able to say exactly which train it was. If they can't identify individuals, but can identify the school, they will no doubt pay them a call.

Give it a go. This sort of behaviour needs to be stopped.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 23:42:59 »

Don't worry about racism, from what you say, they were definitely being threatening! Angry

I would contact LM (London Midland - recent franchise) first. They should be able to track down a large school party who bought a large amount of tickets at Watford. This should identify the school, to which you can contact. The actions of the staff were unacceptable. If they use the excuse of "we fear them as well," then they should not have taken them on a public train service!

I would then tell LM how the lake of on-board staff made your journey hell. (NB - they have had strikes recently, so perhaps that's why)

To be honest, I'm not sure whether the police will be any use. According to LM, "most" of their fleet has CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), but I expect that all Desiros will as they are new. If your train did, at least the police can view it.

Don't let this lie - and good luck. Sad
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 23:53:50 »

According to a Q&A in a Siemens press release when the new Northampton depot for the Class 350s opened in 2006:

"For extra peace of mind the passenger saloon is monitored by closed circuit television cameras"

The full web page is at http://www.siemenstransportation.co.uk/cms/page.asp?id=54

Sounds like a horrible experience. The colour of their skin is neither here nor there.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 15:49:08 »

If it's possible to identify the culprits and their addresses I will join you in standing outside the offending parents property at 0200 and bang on their front doors for 20 minutes.

Not sure it will stop the little b********s doing it again but it'll make you feel a hell of a lot better.

Local press, MP (Member of Parliament), local Ed authority, National Ed etc will also be a good idea once you identify the school.

On second thoughts if Watford borough consider this adequate and acceptable behaviour from their children then you are proably going to get the same reponse from the adults.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 19:35:48 »

I did phone BTP (British Transport Police) last night after your encouragement - was quite late when I did but there was someone there!

Took the details.

Got a phone call this morning from Milton Keynes and they are going to follow it up - they are going to get the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).  Asked me where the main protagonists were sitting and would I recognize them if I saw a picture of them.  They intend to track down the school and go after them under the public disorder act.  They are also going to contact local police and start an investigation as to why the teachers allowed the children to be unsupervised - as essentially they were in a separate compartment and therefore had no adult supervision - could be an issue for the school/teachers in question

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 20:14:18 »

I did phone BTP (British Transport Police) last night after your encouragement - was quite late when I did but there was someone there!

Took the details.

Got a phone call this morning from Milton Keynes and they are going to follow it up - they are going to get the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).  Asked me where the main protagonists were sitting and would I recognize them if I saw a picture of them.  They intend to track down the school and go after them under the public disorder act.  They are also going to contact local police and start an investigation as to why the teachers allowed the children to be unsupervised - as essentially they were in a separate compartment and therefore had no adult supervision - could be an issue for the school/teachers in question

thankyou for taking the time to report this, i say thankyou because too many people stay quiet and people belive that they can get away with it ,by phoning the btp you may well stop this group from harrasing others
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 20:34:02 »

Nice work for reporting the incident. I've been annoyed by school trips in the past but that's been public schoolkids dumping their kitbags all over the aisles and seats in crowded trains, not even in the same league as the problems you experienced.

I think in your situation all 6' 2" and 13 stone of me would have felt intimidated. I've always wondered if a situation such as this is good cause for using the passcom. I was on a train a long time ago between Oxford and Didcot with some of Didcot's finest yoof working their way through the train being abusive and intimidating to randomly selected victims. In the end I bottled it because I didn't fancy using the passcom and ending up stuck in section, locked in a train with such delightful company. I didn't make any attempt to stand up to them either, which I have always regretted since.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 21:47:47 »

You must call BTP (British Transport Police). The number is 0800 40 50 40. I deal with them regularly and I know they will take it seriously. If the train was fitted with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), they are empowered to request a download. You will need to be able to say exactly which train it was. If they can't identify individuals, but can identify the school, they will no doubt pay them a call.

Give it a go. This sort of behaviour needs to be stopped.

Thank you, Oxman, for your textbook answer to this topic: yes, contacting BTP at the time, or as soon as practicable afterwards, is exactly what you should do.

I'm sorry you had to suffer such intimidation, Mookiemoo: I hope the formal police investigation into this incident will identify those responsible and lead to them being punished as appropriate.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Don

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:55:37 »

Yes, well done for taking the time to complain.  Please keep us informed with what happens.

This might make you laugh a bit...

I was on a train a long time ago between Oxford and Didcot with some of Didcot's finest yoof working their way through the train being abusive and intimidating to randomly selected victims.

Ah Didcot. Was on a Paddington - Gloucester train Friday 21st, Signalman cautioning trains because some yobs on footbridge over line throwing things onto/at passing trains.

Didcot station staff informed train manager (and me) that it had been reported to police by signalman and that BTP (British Transport Police) had phoned station asking for a description.  Station staff said to BTP "I can do better than that, I know the ringleaders name and address, - he is going to court next week for assaulting me previously".

Some yobs just don't have enough brain cells to function at a normal level do they.   Needless to say, BTP were off to pay him a visit.

Regards,
Don.
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 15:51:26 »

Sorry to here the ordeal Mookiemoo. I admire you for taking a stand though and hope that it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. I know in the past I have let things lie that I really should have pushed through the relevant authorities so well done!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 16:48:13 »

Not quite the same But I decided to venture onto the delights of the South West Trains network Grin

Walked up to the ticket office in Gillingham Station and asked for a First Class Ticket, what I had failed to notice was there were a few "youths" behind me. Needless to say, I got lip along the lines of posh t*** and snobby b*****d. I was glad when they retreated for a train to Yeovil Junction, As I was going the other way Grin

Next time I think I will use the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: