Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 21:29:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[145] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[92] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voyagers invade Bath Spa  (Read 3435 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 20:53:19 »

As part of those pesky engineering works between Bristol - W-S-M - Taunton, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyagers will be diverted via Bath & Westbury.

From what I have gathered XC Voyagers will be calling at Bath Spa. But don't quote me on that Wink

I wonder how the Voyager CIS (Customer Information System) will cope with this... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 20:57:05 »

Fast Taunton - Bristol.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 21:03:53 »

Yep, there are a couple of Voyagers calling at Bath Spa on a Sunday over the next few weeks.

It would make sense to have more XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services call at Bath Spa when services are diverted as quite a number of passengers travelling XC would be travelling to/from Bath and one year quite a few actually did when services were diverted away from the Bristol-Taunton line due to a two week blockade a few years back. It made the Bath Spa departure board have destinations rarely seen on it...Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc. They have to slow right down anyway to pass through the station because of the curving nature of the station.

Some good photo oportunities to catch a XC HST (High Speed Train) passing through the Limpey Stoke Valley too.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 22:31:03 »

How about extending a few XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) terminators to Bath?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 22:58:32 »

How about extending a few XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) terminators to Bath?

A good idea in theory, But too much could go wrong. I'd say that FGW (First Great Western) would frown at XC for terminating at Bath because pf the risk of delaying London Paddington, Portsmouth, Weymouth, Cardiff and Bristol Temple Meads services.

As it stands, FGW and XC can't even negociate who should update the CIS (Customer Information System) as to whether Catering is available or the location of FC(resolve)... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 23:38:49 »

Also, by the time they went to Bath, laid over (but not for too long as explained below) , reversed and returned to Bristol, they wouldn't have a sensible recovery margin before heading back North.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:35 »

A good idea in theory, But too much could go wrong. I'd say that FGW (First Great Western) would frown at XC for terminating at Bath because pf the risk of delaying London Paddington, Portsmouth, Weymouth, Cardiff and Bristol Temple Meads services.

As it stands, FGW and XC can't even negociate who should update the CIS (Customer Information System) as to whether Catering is available or the location of FC(resolve)... Roll Eyes

Are there generally lots of problems with the CIS system then at stations for XC services? 
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:58:24 »

Are there generally lots of problems with the CIS (Customer Information System) system then at stations for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services? 

Yes there are unfortunately. It's all to common to read the CIS and stand where First Class is going to be platformed, only to discover when the train arrives it's at the other end... Roll Eyes Also they advertise catering on services where there is no catering...!

However as I did mention, what essentially is a political issue between various railway parties, means confusion/misleading information for the passenger... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 13:09:31 »

Are there generally lots of problems with the CIS (Customer Information System) system then at stations for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services? 

Yes there are unfortunately. It's all to common to read the CIS and stand where First Class is going to be platformed, only to discover when the train arrives it's at the other end... Roll Eyes Also they advertise catering on services where there is no catering...!

However as I did mention, what essentially is a political issue between various railway parties, means confusion/misleading information for the passenger... Roll Eyes

This is worse at B'ham New street, where you don't know which direction the train is coming from or going to. (a train can leave in any direction out of the station and use a large network of lines to get round) As well as this, on trains that switch direction at New Street - which side is front?

And they often get it wrong.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 13:37:37 »

FGW (First Great Western) CIS control should update within FGW land...  Huh

It is up to Stations to contact them to correct whatever tosh XC have told FGW.  Unfortunately how reliable it is, can be wholly down to who is working at the time.

Now as to why XC cannot get the information correct in the first place (last minute set swaps excused) is another matter altogether  Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 14:01:02 »

I can't see FGW (First Great Western) agreeing to this as they would lose revenue.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 18:06:16 »

Better still extend a few Xc Terminators to Severn Beach.....biggest load of rubbish i have read for ages

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 18:14:08 »

Haha indeed, besides, it would clash with the xx22 departure to Portsmouth.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 19:22:37 »

Better still extend a few Xc Terminators to Severn Beach.....biggest load of rubbish i have read for ages

Ok, sorry, it was only a light and unresearched suggestion to enhance the local rail network! I can see the problems, (not to mention the fact that the trains would have to reverse) but I wouldn't go as far as suggesting an idea is rubbish.

Remember the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) Princess Network?
Sion Bretton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 20:01:59 »

They have in the pass stopped at Bath, I have seen on the screens showing trains to:
Manchester
Edinburgh
Yes I have been on one from Bristol TM(resolve) to Bath Spa when the FGW (First Great Western) trains were late.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: