Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:20:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[188] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[30] Misleading advertising?
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railcard expires before return portion of off-peak ticket  (Read 7204 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2009, 18:28:24 »

I think I know what the answer to my question will be, but just in case the situation is allowed for I thought I'd check.

My Y-P railcard expires on 15 May 09 (which is a Friday). Sadly, I'm now too far over the hill and too long in the tooth to renew it  Cry As it happens, I'm going away over that weekend. The booking office presumably will sell me an off-peak return ticket for my outward journey on the Friday, when my railcard is still valid. However, by the time of my return journey on Sunday 17 May I won't have a railcard any more or be eligible to renew it.

I assume this means that I can't use the railcard at all on the off-peak ticket, but if there are any rail staff out there who know different then please tell me!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 19:35:04 »

Daft question, but can't you renew your railcard for another year on the Thursday (ie the day before it expires)? Or is that against the rules?

(unfortunately being a minority rail user - i.e. a middle-aged fully-employed able-bodied man - I am yet to be entitled to a railcard of any description* so I'm not at all sure what the rules are!)

*apart maybe from being entitled to a family railcard once long ago, but I don't remember ever having one of those either
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 19:45:20 »

the railcard if used has to be valid for both portions of the ticket. ie for both the out and rtn.

You can only renew on expiry or prior to expiry if you are still entitled to the railcard. ie some YP holders buy another YP railcard the day before their 26th birthday which is perfectly legal way of getting another year of discounted travel. as long as you are 16-25 when renewing or purchasing then the railcard is still valid even if you turn 26 whilst the railcard is in date.

hope that makes sense.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 20:57:09 »

Not necessarily just those under the age of 26 when they renew, though, to be fair: this offer also applies to those (of any age) who are 'mature students' (terms and conditions apply).  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 21:20:00 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 23:24:48 »

Thanks for the advice. I did indeed renew the railcard the day before my 26th birthday (which was last year - staggering towards the grand old age of 27 this year), so I've had a year's extra discount - incidentally, that helpful tip was suggested to me by an FGW (First Great Western) conductor, to whom I am eternally grateful. The full time education point is a good one, too, since anyone who is on a full time course of education can obtain a certified letter from their school/college/university and legitimately get a Y-P card (although that opportunity ran out for me last December when I finished a PhD course and couldn't string out my education any longer!).

I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to use the railcard in this situation but thought I'd check just in case there was any easement/exemption made in this case. Now all I have to do is wait 33 years until I become eligible for a senior railcard...

willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 00:00:18 »

Or move to the old Network South East area (Network Card), the Cotswold Line (Cotswold Railcard) or Devon & Cornwall (D&C Railcard). All off-peak only (and some of the operators would, I'm sure, like to kill the Network Card completely) but entirely legit for all us in-betweenies.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:45:37 »

Unfortunately being a minority rail user - i.e. a middle-aged fully-employed able-bodied man - I am yet to be entitled to a railcard of any description* so I'm not at all sure what the rules are!)

I thought I was in the same boat until the other day, Phil, when I received an email to my personal account entitled "Book UK (United Kingdom) train tickets without any booking fees. Save even more with a Railcard this Easter".  I am in the process of investigating what railcard I am entitled to use  Tongue and I will let you know when I find out.   Better be quick - Easter Approaches!  Does anyone know - perhaps there is a minority railcard for our group!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: