15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 18:16:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[50] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[19] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No News?  (Read 5858 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 17:58:58 »

Why have the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) removed the link the the News Page?

You can still access the news page by typing in: http://www.clpg.co.uk/news.htm
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 21:38:23 »

Does no-one know?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 22:03:01 »

Hmm.  I'm not trying to be funny, Btline, but have you asked the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) why they've removed their link to their news page on their website?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 00:12:52 »

Probably simply because the latest newsletter has just gone out to the membership and they are waiting for something new to put up on the website, eg summer alterations, return of HSTs (High Speed Train) (please)...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 20:22:02 »

Hmm.  I'm not trying to be funny, Btline, but have you asked the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) why they've removed their link to their news page on their website?  Roll Eyes

Why? The last time I emailed them (and their "head" members) I received no reply. Roll Eyes Grin
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 23:20:22 »

You'd think that with so much going on along the line that the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) website would be buzzing with information but it hasn't been updated for ages.  They never even mentioned the rescheduled Meet the FGW (First Great Western) Manager sessions a few weeks ago or the visit of Lord Adonis and David Cameron!

Goodness they've even got an Adelante on their homepage!!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 21:05:22 »

Probably simply because the latest newsletter has just gone out to the membership and they are waiting for something new to put up on the website, eg summer alterations, return of HSTs (High Speed Train) (please)...

But the news page is still there - http://clpg.co.uk/news.htm

But no link. Perhaps they've deleted it by accident. Cheesy Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 21:50:51 »

Actually, Btline, the working link is http://www.clpg.co.uk/news.htm  Roll Eyes

However, in view of your obvious concern over this matter, I have written to the Cotswold Line Promotion Group, on your behalf, explaining how outraged you are that they have apparently removed their link to their news page on their website.

I shall let you know as soon as I receive their reply.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 21:53:58 »

Huh Cry
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 22:07:50 »

Sorry, Btline, I'm teasing you.  Wink

I honestly have no more idea than you as to why the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) have apparently removed their link to their news page on their website.  But it's interesting that their news page itself contains nothing more recent than 12 February?  Hardly news, even with a link??

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 20:09:21 »

Good to know! Grin

Sorry, everyone, I'll be a lot calmer about the issue from now on; my life can go on without the link! Tongue Roll Eyes

You would have thought they would have put in all the blockade details from fgw.com! Huh
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:00:20 »

I think you are being a little harsh on CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about). After all they are a voluntary organisation battling with DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about), Networkrail and FGW (First Great Western) to get a decent train service on the line. Which at times is like punching blamange totally frustrating but utterley exhausting.

Managing a web page is almost a full time job, how many "professional" organisations keep their pages fully up to date? Even FGW sometimes struggles.

Last year I had to contact the PLA over misleading information on their website regarding the size of boat  which require VHF radio to navigate East of Brentford on the tideway. This had recently changed. Had we taken the web info as gospel it could have led to my cousin inadvertenly breaking one of their bylaws by taking his narrow boat down to Limehouse without a radio.

Perhaps someone from this board who travels on the line could volunteer to help maintain the website.

The motto is just like with newspapers don't believe everything that's posted on the web.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 19:29:16 »

It's not the lack of updates I was worried (but not anymore Cool ) about, but the fact that a link had been deleted.

Anyway, I am sure it will be sorted out - getting a better service is the priority!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 17:48:56 »

All is explained! Grin

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE SITE HOLDER.

This site will close after 30th June 2009.   Ever since about 2001, when I opened an internet account with Freenetname, I have devoted the web space which came with it to try to make the public aware of the existence and activities of the Cotswold Line Promotion Group, of which I am Membership Secretary.   I am also heavily involved with the production of its news magazine.

During recent months, I have received an increasing amount of negative feedback about the site, particularly relating to the frequency of updates.  Unfortunately, I have to rely on news from other members of the Committee, and hardly any has been forthcoming during the past two years or so.

In the circumstances, I have decided that the Cotswold Line Promotion Group should be responsible for its own web site, if it feels that it needs one.  I therefore gave notice to the Secretary and Vice Chairman on 25th March of my intention to discontinue this site from 1st July.

The domain name "clpg.co.uk" will remain my property and I may decide to create a new site telling people about my wider interests at some time in the future.

John Stanley
1st May 2009
willc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 22:23:36 »

Still no news for BTline, but peace appears to have broken out within the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about), as the website now has a new picture of a 2+7 HST (High Speed Train) near Honeybourne on the home page and the message about its demise has disappeared.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: