17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
22:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
22:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 23:35:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: cross country birmingham to torquay no a.m peak time?/  (Read 10180 times)
plejaren

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 21:23:59 »

im confused
just spent 15 minutes on a crackly line to a `cross country` ticket line

the call centre sounded indian

i was told i can use an off peak return on the 6.42am first train of the day from new street to torquay

how is this possible isnt it peak time

i want to be sure that what im told is correct so i dont spend a tenner on a taxi to station and then have to wait till 9.30 am

thanks any help?
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 21:40:34 »

According to the NXEC (National Express East Coast) site the cheaper tickets for that route don't kick in until the 09:42, so you might want to get a second opinion before setting out.
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 21:46:42 »

i have a railcard

i know that on virgin, you can get off peak at peaktimes with a railcard

im confused i dont know what to do
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 21:52:14 »

You were told wrong. Unless you are travelling Saturday. However. There is a first class single on Wednesday for the bargain price of ^23!
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 22:09:52 »

the guy from the call centre wherevr it was
assured me i cud use an off peak return then :S
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 22:22:20 »

According to FGW (First Great Western) site off-peak return (^48.65 with railcard) valid on that service.  My understanding is that peak restictions on CC generally apply on journeys to Birmingham in the mornings and on day returns morning and evening.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 22:25:33 »

Fgw site suggested to me a peak ticket. However I only did a single journey.
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 23:04:47 »

rang up nation rail enquiries

theyve said that route is off peak from 5am

now im real confused
its gona be a tenner in a taxi there that time in the morning

and if i cant get the train its like a 3 hour wait til off peak for sure

who would risk it

shame you cant get a straight forward answer from these call centres
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:45:25 »

sorry for late update
i rang up rail enquiries

got an english woman this time
she said i can use it

confused or what?

im getting the train... and if they tell me i cant use it ill firmly tell them sorry ive had two national rail people and one cross country person tell me i can CAN use it and if theyve given me wrong info thats YOUR PROBLEM not mine!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:08:09 »

Perhaps I'm too late ... but you could print out this thread to hand to any ticket inspector who questions you.   It's sad when the fare system is so complex that validity advise differs from different sources who set themselves up as being the experts!

(Try using a Peterbourough to Melksham saver return on the 17:30 from Paddington - the only train of the day that connects to Melksham without sleeping on the platform at Swindon overnight - it is valid, but official sources split 50 / 50 when you ask for advise.   Survey sample size - six people asked. Terms may now have changed)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:14:26 »

I've just checked in Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller (seems to be current version - appeared on the web :-) )

It lists a Birmingham Stations to Paignton route Bristol Off-Peak Return (SVR). The relevant restriction detail is:

Restriction : 8X
Restriction Applies:         
Outward and Return travel,   
MONDAY to FRIDAY only.       
No travel restrictions on     
other days.                   
OUTWARD AND RETURN JOURNEYS: 
By any train except those     
scheduled to depart before   

Obviously I'm just copying straight from a program - I won't comment on accuracy! Before 5am does seem a pointless restriction. It's quite common for off-peak (former Saver) tickets for provincial journeys to be valid all day - I suppose they're called off-peak because they're in that price range.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 15:47:24 »

Many Xc fares are 8X
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 16:45:42 »

Obviously I'm just copying straight from a program - I won't comment on accuracy! Before 5am does seem a pointless restriction. It's quite common for off-peak (former Saver) tickets for provincial journeys to be valid all day - I suppose they're called off-peak because they're in that price range.

I think the rationale is that 'not valid before 0500' allows them to retain the anytime fare on the system, even though it isn't normally needed. This then allows them to charge it if a passenger is travelling without a ticket, under the 'only anytime fares available on board' trick.  It also means that if am peak trains get completely wedged with long distance travellers they can vary the restriction, and attempt to constrain demand. If the current fare was already an anytime the only alternative would be to raise its price, this would be difficult with all the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) rules on raising prices...

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 20:26:14 »

I suppose a train leaving a city in the morning peak is not going to be rammed.

Makes sense to have Off-Peak fares for contra peak passengers.

Get passengers on empty seats once all the commuters have got off at New Street!
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 23:51:33 »

thought id update you
i caught that train
when i showed it onboard
the ticket collector was like `hmm` and paused to think
i said to him firmly i was told by three people working for the rail that it was okay
he just nodded and walked on
so it was okay
but i agree
they should not make it so ridiculously complicated
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: