15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:20:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long to Repair a Fence.  (Read 6850 times)
oilengineer

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 17:13:34 »

OK here's a question for all you Elf & Safety people, being that Elf & Safety is ABOVE all other things, how long does it take to repair a FENCE.

The reason I ask is today I've made one of my infrequent visits to the end of the line at Penzance, if I make PZ twice a year I'm Lucky or unlucky depending on your thoughts on the place.

Was an Early start and for the First Time in Years I travelled in the "Day" cars of the Sleeper Train, very nice too all first class seats.

However on Station Road I've become aware that part of the Station Railings have been  badly damaged for at least 18 months.

So my elf & Safety friends what's your excuse!

CUE: Deathly Silence:
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 17:19:01 »

Whats it got to do with health and safety?  If it is dangerous then it should be repaired straight away.  If a temporary repair has been made then it has to wait for the person responsible to properly fix it.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 18:03:27 »

You are talking First Great Western Here, it WILL never get repaired!!!

AFAIR The Railings were damaged over Two years ago by a Car, Simple enough get Car Insurance to pay SO why the Delay?

For some unknown reason FGW (First Great Western) think Penzance Station is in Wharf Road when it's actually on Station Road!

But there again if FGW DON'T know where there station is  Grin

ps Visit the FGW web site Destination Guide click on Penzance and the nice photo of Penzance is back to front.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 18:25:01 by smokey » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 21:57:58 »

Is it the tenants responsibility or the landlords ie FGW (First Great Western) or NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 13:39:44 »

Is it the tenants responsibility or the landlords ie FGW (First Great Western) or NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s

Can't say I'm sure, but as it's Accident Damage I believe it's in the Same classifaction as Vandalism which Means it's up to FGW to Sort out.

Even if it's NR to fix it's taken so long I can't see the costs being recovered from Car Insurers!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 14:25:11 »

Given the current financial climate and uncertain future, if it is not causing a health & safety hazard, do you really think fixing a fence is anywhere on FGW (First Great Western) or NRs» (Network Rail - home page) radar?  How do we know the car that hit it has insurance?  Plenty of people don't !

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 16:14:16 »

Given the current financial climate and uncertain future, if it is not causing a health & safety hazard, do you really think fixing a fence is anywhere on FGW (First Great Western) or NRs» (Network Rail - home page) radar?  How do we know the car that hit it has insurance?  Plenty of people don't !
I believe the car didn't have insurance from what I remember, I think there are far more pressing issues at the moment!
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 17:52:22 »

The trouble is that in this day and age there is no such thing as an accident or behaving responsibly, everything comes under H & S and is therefore someone else's fault/responsibility !

I lived in Scotland back in the seventies and had a great view of the West Highland line watching (loco hauled) trains labouring up the gradient from Craigendoran to Helensburgh Upper.
One section of this track was constantly under "attack" from vandals who constantly destroyed the wooden trackside fence. BR (British Rail(ways)) kept repairing/replacing it but it was not long before it was attacked again, mainly by youngsters.
One day a Glasgow bound train, as usual, freewheeled down the steep slope from Helensburgh Upper. It was almost silent, the train hit and killed two youngsters on the line.
There was a considerable outcry at the time but it was mainly of the "what do you expect" variety. There was no big "blame" witch hunt and no legal actions.

BUT, the remarkable thing was, when the fence was repaired after this accident, there was no more vandalism ! A terrible way for the local youngsters and their parents to learn a lesson.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 00:50:10 »

I seem to remember a similar incident near Dovey junction in the mid 1990's where some kids were playing on the line and got hit by a train, the parents tried to have Railtrack done but in the end the parents got done for neglect or something? anyone remember?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:23:14 »

Not quite as long ago as the mid 1990's, vacman, but is this the very tragic incident you're thinking of?

Chris Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
oilengineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 15:20:15 »

Just an Up date, it's 8 weeks (tomorrow) since I started this topic and still it's not repaired.

Wonder just how long it will take for FGW (First Great Western) to take note, so we can see a result.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 20:55:30 »

The story from Scotland, whilst really tragic, makes a good point. No more said.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:52:19 »

Just an update, now I'm back in the west, this fence still isn't repaired, in fact there's a scaffold been built right through the damaged section.

So how long does it take to repair a fence? Grin
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 19:12:00 »

Now folks, grip hold off something solid, said fence has Been repaired.

So it's taken about 3 years to repair a fence.

OH well done FGW (First Great Western) a round of appaulse please.

Whats it got to do with health and safety?  If it is dangerous then it should be repaired straight away.  If a temporary repair has been made then it has to wait for the person responsible to properly fix it.

And what's it got to do with Elf & Safety, well whilst the fence is road side there is a 12 foot drop the other side.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: