17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:00:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393898 times)
Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2013, 16:02:51 »

Not sure wether this is relevant to this topic but is there any further news on the Turbo stock going for their Full C6 Refurb as I'm sure this was planned to start in September . Also with the recent changes to FGW (First Great Western) operated stock with regards to the 166's 1st Class Accomodation ?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2013, 16:09:47 »

I'm guessing it's been delayed by Wabtec going in to administration and then subsequently being bought out. All the 166s have had First Class declassified now at one end and there does seem to have some progress with the removal of external First Class branding too.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2013, 18:00:29 »

To speed up the refresh some of the overhaul work is being done at Reading. I don't have the briefing document to hand, but I think the fitment of wi-fi is one of the jobs being done at Reading. The 166 1st class compartments that were declassified were the ones with the lowest numbered carriage of the three that make up a complete unit.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2013, 18:21:35 »

I'm guessing it's been delayed by Wabtec going in to administration and then subsequently being bought out. All the 166s have had First Class declassified now at one end and there does seem to have some progress with the removal of external First Class branding too.

I'm pretty sure it was Railcare that went into administration, not Wabtec.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2013, 18:46:45 »

Ah yes it was, and it was also Railcare who won the Turbo C6 contract, and it was apparently due to commence in September, but it also covers Chiltern units, so perhaps one of their units has been sent first?

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/02/06/railcare-wins-20m-class-165-and-166-overhaul-contract/
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2013, 19:02:38 »

I don't think compulsory reservations for trains in this Country would work very well at all. In Spain their long distance trains are all compulsory seat reservations. Once the train is fully booked, the website states "Train Full" and no further bookings are taken. They guarantee a seat this way. But the lifestyle and working culture out there is very, very different to that of Britain.

I think FGW (First Great Western) would do good to do what Virgin have done with their Voyagers. Have a section that can be alternated between First and Standard Class as required by demand. Doesn't necessarily need to be 2+1 Seating but be only Tables of 4 like Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) Carriages.

Or offer a scheme similar to GreaterAnglia with a First Class Upgrade on Off Peak Trains for ^10.00 Return. In FGW's case maybe knock that up to ^15.00 or ^20.00 to factor in the longer distance and complimentary refreshments.

Introduction of First Off Peak and First Super Off Peak may very well sway people to upgrade too. I personally won't pay the price of the FSR (First Scot Rail) (First Off Peak Return) between Frome and London Paddington based on the fact price paid doesn't reflect the service gained on Off Peak Trains. the 19:Something from Westbury - London Paddington Stopping Service is a prime example of that! A train which is fairly empty in Standard and First alike Undecided

If people are going to use the train then they've taken the Standard Class revenue anyway, but if the train was very busy or a Family of 4 wanted to sit together then they may very well be tempted to upgrade onboard to be able to sit together or have peace and quiet.

What I am wondering is what is going to happen to the Quiet Carriage in First Class? If some sets are only going to have 1.5 Carriages or First Class. Putting the Quiet Coach in the Buffet is a bit silly and will no doubt upset people when the Pullman is laid up. I personally would be rather peeved if I boarded a train to find .5 fully taken and the remain coach was a Quiet Carriage.

A few months back I got into a hostile situation where a chap was telling me to stop using my mobile phone in the Quiet Carriage. I ignored him stating it wasn't the quiet carriage. We had 2 coach Gs in the consist. I'll leave you to make your mind up to which coach I was in... Wink Angry Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 22:09:45 »

On the 7.08 Maidenhead to Paddington this morning First Class was full and standing.. 2 1/2 carriages worth.. For once tickets were checked and even the guy checking them was heard to say "there are a lot of first class passengers on this train"...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:22 »

If that becomes a regular situation, methinks the UP-only 1st class option may be stopped....
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2013, 12:13:18 »

On the 7.08 Maidenhead to Paddington this morning First Class was full and standing.. 2 1/2 carriages worth.. For once tickets were checked and even the guy checking them was heard to say "there are a lot of first class passengers on this train"...

Yep, I was on the same train and heard the same statement.  My 8th ticket check of the year! Whoo!
To me it felt like the train was full before Maidenhead so perhaps something was wrong upstream(?)
Today was like a ghostship by comparison.

I've already submitted my claim for compensation for standing : )
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2013, 20:53:34 »

Nooo. I went even earlier than that today as it was so busy yesterday on the 7.08 and wanted to avoid it today but I can confirm that I found a nice empty train (And another ticket check... two in two days which isn't bad considering I can't remember the last morning ticket check before that.. They DO have lots of extra revenue staff though..no really  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2013, 21:18:40 »

Nooo. I went even earlier than that today as it was so busy yesterday on the 7.08 and wanted to avoid it today but I can confirm that I found a nice empty train (And another ticket check... two in two days which isn't bad considering I can't remember the last morning ticket check before that.. They DO have lots of extra revenue staff though..no really  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue)

I made the point about lack of checks (and trolley service!) at the September Meet The Manager session.  Apparently I was talking to the head of revenue(?) who was most disappointed to hear about my 5 checks in 9 months and my (could have been) free trip to Par.  He promised action.  I've now been checked 8 times in 11 months, so I guess the frequency is on the up, but I know lots are travelling on Standard tickets and just upgrade when caught.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25454296

"First class users of some First Great Western trains may find they have fewer seats to choose from in the future.

The train operator has confirmed it is in talks with the Department for Transport about reducing first class carriages on some of its services.
"

A positive spin would be "FGW (First Great Western) explores Standard Class increase"! Hmmm.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2013, 10:55:25 »

I cant forsee this being popular with those who have paid a high first class fare and then dont get a seat.
I have regularly seen first virtually full on FGW (First Great Western) rush hour services.

What we really need is longer trains, not tinkering with the first/standard ratio, or downgrading inter city trains to suburban commuter type layout.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2013, 11:02:39 »

Turning round the full buffet carriage and reducing those sets to only 2 first class carriages, and adding about 40 seats of standard class would be perfectly sensible.  Presumably that 'half coach' of first seating is never reservable, in case the other type of train shows up.

But in any case, wasn't this already discussed at length back in October?

Post #74 onwards here:  http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4600.msg140738#msg140738

But having read back through a number of 'franchising' type threads, I see this was subtly announced as happening by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) in the 'new franchise' press release anyway: 
"...increasing the capacity of the existing high speed train fleet, with the addition of new seating in advance of the arrival of the new intercity express trains..."   
So this won't be a discussion about the principle, just the details, and perhaps these posts could be moved to the main 'First Class' thread now?

Paul
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:06:37 by paul7755 » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2013, 12:06:45 »

It was....wonder why the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) only just reported it?.....

The operator said it was discussing the idea with the government "to meet continued passenger journey growth", but stressed no decisions had been made.

That's tosh....unless they've gone back on a decision. And why are glass panels starting to appear in certain 1st class coaches as reported by some in the SW?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: