Delayed
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:25:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[76] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[9] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393954 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2014, 22:39:55 »

Hmm - assuming we're talking HSTs (High Speed Train) here now, I think it's ok - it's not as if there isn't a buffet (buffer) between Standard & 1st for any overflow.

Its those that set off for the doors at the front in readiness for alighting at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) that annoy me - especially when they start traipsing through just after leaving Reading sometimes....

So you'll like it when First Class becomes 1 1/2 carriages at most then?  Smiley
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:10 »

The buffets will still be there....I suspect they may rejig the sets so that it still features between the two...
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2014, 21:29:00 »

If 1st class ends up as 1 1/2 carriages.. where would do you envisage the buffet would be in that formation?  Smiley
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2014, 22:50:00 »

If 1st class ends up as 1 1/2 carriages.. where would do you envisage the buffet would be in that formation?  Smiley

A trolley?

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03:25 »

Not quite so much of the buffer ChrisB was hoping for then  Roll Eyes
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:08 »

Well, if 1st is to be 1.5 carriages, then I would suspect the formation would be:
43 + FO + BuffetFirst + TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)) + TSO + TSO + TSO + TSO + TGS + 43

Rather more awkward if first class was to be two full carriages, as then the seats in the buffet car would have to be standard class if you want to ensure the buffet is between first and standard.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00:56 »

Placing the buffet vehicle in the train the other way around, with the servery and kitchen at the first class end is simple, as is replacing the first class seats with steerage ones.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) FGW (First Great Western) are trying to discourage first class travel by making it unduly expensive.
Historicly IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) first was priced at about one and a half times the second class fare.
Now it is about twice, or off peak over four times as much.

First class should be a seperate product and should of ourse cost appreciably more, but I wonder if the present differential is excessive ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2014, 10:51:24 »

Do the changes mean that all of First Class will be shouty-phone carriages, and my beloved quiet carriage will be removed?

Can I request keeping the quiet carriage and ditching the ra-ra carriage?   Cheesy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:44 »

Interesting - don't know the answer to that one.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:58 »

Do the changes mean that all of First Class will be shouty-phone carriages, and my beloved quiet carriage will be removed?

Can I request keeping the quiet carriage and ditching the ra-ra carriage?   Cheesy

Whichever they choose will annoy significant numbers of first class passengers and thereby accelerate the decline of first class provision.

If the remaining first class cariage is declared to be a quiet carriage, then that will upset those who wish to use cellphones or other noise makers.

If on the other hand cellphones etc are allowed then that will upset those seeking peace and quiet.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:01 »

Placing the buffet vehicle in the train the other way around, with the servery and kitchen at the first class end is simple, as is replacing the first class seats with steerage ones.
Indeed it is relatively simple, but it would require work done on the buffets and would mean first class passengers wouldn't have the option of sitting in the buffet car.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:10 »

East Coast have a 1/2 carriage 1st class quiet zone (annoyingly with no charging sockets), the remaining full coaches are all non-quiet.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2014, 12:39:33 »

Indeed it is relatively simple, but it would require work done on the buffets and would mean first class passengers wouldn't have the option of sitting in the buffet car.

Buffets are very last year, removal would provide more of the famous "thousands of extra seats"

People much prefer a trolley to a proper buffet "surveys show it" After all who wants hot coffee, and cold beer from a buffet when they could have both lukewarm from a trolley ? and who wants a hot snack when they could have a packet of crisps from a trolley ?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2014, 13:55:15 »

Surveys of takings from Trolleys vs buffets show more takings if pax don't have to leave their seats unfortunately.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2014, 16:38:27 »

Surveys of takings from Trolleys vs buffets show more takings if pax don't have to leave their seats unfortunately.

In a theoretical world where the trolley makes regular visits, perhaps so. The reality is that the trolley attendant sits out the journey in a vestibule, as witnessed on Cross - Country and SWT (South West Trains). Inevitably, I have to get out of my seat and go find them, which rather defeats the purpose of them.

Also, not sure how you could cook a steak baguette on a trolley, not to mention a Pullman dinner.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: