17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 16:48:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393868 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2014, 16:47:11 »

Trolley takings are thus that they beat the number of steak bagettes being sold.

Of course you need a proper buffet if you're offering Pullman Dining, but we were talking buffet vs trolley. P/Dining is a different, third option.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2014, 00:05:17 »

Trolley takings are thus that they beat the number of steak bagettes being sold.

Of course you need a proper buffet if you're offering Pullman Dining, but we were talking buffet vs trolley. P/Dining is a different, third option.
And traveling chef?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2014, 09:25:32 »

And traveling chef?

Precisely. I would like to know when and where the trolley v buffet study was undertaken, anyone? I absolutely refuse to buy lukewarm beer from trolleys, which it invariably is.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:01 »

Precisely. I would like to know when and where the trolley v buffet study was undertaken, anyone? I absolutely refuse to buy lukewarm beer from trolleys, which it invariably is.

Have we mentioned the idea that people won't visit buffets these days because they fear loosing their hard-fought-for seat or don't want the hassle of dragging their luggage all the way with them - "luggage must be kept with you at all times" / bomb and theft risks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2014, 11:20:15 »

Have we mentioned the idea that people won't visit buffets these days because they fear loosing their hard-fought-for seat or don't want the hassle of dragging their luggage all the way with them - "luggage must be kept with you at all times" / bomb and theft risks.

Very good point.  Another thing which discriminates against the able-bodied person travelling alone....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2014, 11:33:58 »

Have we mentioned the idea that people won't visit buffets these days because they fear loosing their hard-fought-for seat

A real fear, apparently

or don't want the hassle of dragging their luggage all the way with them - "luggage must be kept with you at all times" / bomb and theft risks.

Red herring - no one's bothered. When was the last time you saw anyone doing this?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:28 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) FGW (First Great Western) are trying to discourage first class travel by making it unduly expensive.
Historicly IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) first was priced at about one and a half times the second class fare.
Now it is about twice, or off peak over four times as much.

First class should be a seperate product and should of ourse cost appreciably more, but I wonder if the present differential is excessive ?

I am not sure it is excessive.  But it is complicated.

I wonder how much more providing a first class seat actually costs.  Firstly there is a lower seating density (almost half) and then the far lower utilisation of FC(resolve) on short flows outside the peak (a first class seat is more likely to be empty than a standard class seat) and then the cost of providing other perks (freebies and extra staff).  I wouldn't be surprised if a first class coach earns less than a standard class coach on average.  That suggests that the differential should be more. 

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2014, 14:31:04 »

On the 7.59 Maidenhead to Paddington earlier First class was at the rear.. This is usually a hopeful sign that we might just be lucky enough for a ticket check.. But no.. Instead the guard/train manager person sent everyone that was standing in the back vestibule to sit down, presumably so he could have the vestibule area to himself. No ticket check after that obviously. So that gave out a very clear signal to me and other passengers about how to travel first class..
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2014, 08:54:37 »

or don't want the hassle of dragging their luggage all the way with them - "luggage must be kept with you at all times" / bomb and theft risks.

Red herring - no one's bothered. When was the last time you saw anyone doing this?
I'm bothered about having my luggage stolen and/or tampered with by others.  That is a reason why I won't visit the buffet/shop when travelling with large item(s).
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2014, 11:45:28 »

Not to mention that if you request a complimentary drink having gone and found trolley on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services. You're sent back to your seat empty handed as staff are told to serve Standard Class first as thats where the revenue is... Roll Eyes

Of course if you offer to pay for one that's a different story and you may just get it if you're lucky.

When I travel in First it's usually always on off peak services after the at seat trolley service finishes for the day. I have no problems with going to the buffet to get a drink, sometimes it's inconvenient. Sometimes the Buffet Host comes and gives me one if it's just me in First Class (I'm surprised how much that happens from the same staff member actually Roll Eyes Grin )

You'd be surprised and I can name several cases. On a train a while back and left my back on the seat whilst I went to get some refreshments from the Buffet, I was in Coach F. A lady sat in Coach G saw me leave the seat and head in the direction of the buffet car. No sooner had I been served my drink (About 5 minutes later) I heard a voice just further down to me that said: "I don't mean to be an alarmist, but someone has left a bag on the seat"

To which I came across and said it was mine and that I was in the buffet. The lady replied "Well you can't be too careful in this day and age" without thinking I came back with: "I know, which is why if I was a real terrorist I wouldn't have left my bag there for the world to see... Roll Eyes "

The other case happened a couple of weeks ago after using the Disabled Karzi at Bristol Temple Meads on Platform 15... Apparently a young person with a tool type, looking bag in the bog for more than 5 minutes is frowned upon... Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided

Grin Grin Grin Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2014, 12:57:28 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) FGW (First Great Western) are trying to discourage first class travel by making it unduly expensive.
Historicly IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) first was priced at about one and a half times the second class fare.
Now it is about twice, or off peak over four times as much.

First class should be a seperate product and should of ourse cost appreciably more, but I wonder if the present differential is excessive ?

Agree that walk on First Class fares are too expensive, but there's some bargains to be had in the advance fare department, just like there are on many Standard class flows.  ^32 Cardiff to Reading, ^38 Milton Keynes to Chester, ^26 Bedford to Sheffield, ^56 Peterborough to Edinburgh are, I'm sure, all cheaper than they were before the days of advance fares.  A third off of them if you have a railcard as well!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2014, 19:49:09 »

If Friday's issue wasn't bad enough.. today the 7.59 was missing coach H... You can guess the resulting trouble.. I do wonder why they sell First class tickets to Maidenhead passengers  Huh
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2014, 22:25:22 »

Hope you are writing in for your refunds?  Wink
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:34 »

Hope you are writing in for your refunds?  Wink

Oh yes indeed I am.. I think I managed to convince a fellow passenger to do the same yesterday morning too.. It must cost FGW (First Great Western) so much in admin time to produce all these vouchers, reply to e-mails etc (let alone the time you've said it takes you (and others I imagine) to renew your season ticket due to all the vouchers)... Yet.. They still don't get it  Huh
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2014, 08:21:48 »

And don't let them fob you off with 'this only applies on HST (High Speed Train) trains and not Turbos' - they omitted that appalling condition from the Oct 13 conditions so its open season on Turbo's from now onwards.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: