17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 18:35:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393892 times)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2014, 19:20:42 »

Do many HSTs (High Speed Train) stop at Slough? Only she mention empty 'carriages' rather than compartments in a Thames Turbo.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2014, 21:23:17 »

In the current timetable 22 HSTs (High Speed Train) call M-F - 10 coming out of Paddington.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2014, 00:37:48 »

I caught one of the 5 newly converted ex-buffet carriages today and I can confirm that they are fitted with 8 tables. I presume the carriages converted from First to Standard Class will adopt a similar layout. The extra tables are obviously good as it brings the train as a whole up to a more reasonable number, and there is plenty of back to seating, and subsequent additional luggage space. I think these carriages will deal much, much better with the amounts of luggage people tend to bring. However, I don't believe there were 80 seats in the carriage, the legroom seemed to be worse than in other carriages and the seat-to-window alignment was awful. The carriages with the extra tables are quite easy to spot, I noticed it straight away just looking through the windows. The initial 5 coaches will be numbered 42516-42520 for anybody looking out for them.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2014, 08:53:02 »

The 05:11 Worcester-->Paddington arrived without Coach G today.  I'm hoping that this is a temporary problem although it is indicative of the incoming changes.

I counted 35 First Class passengers standing in Coach H for the final run into Paddington.  I hope they all claim refunds.
A woman collapsed further down the carriage and had to be helped to a chair.
There was no ticket check for my piece of the journey, nor announcement of where Coach G had been left.

Utterly utterly useless.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2014, 13:12:33 »

Yes, this might have been a one off breakdown, but will soon be the norm as first class is to be downgraded to one and a half coaches only.
Presuming that those standing did in fact have first class tickets, then I also hope that they claim refunds.

Regarding claiming a refund, how does a first class ticket holder prove that they had to stand ? I have only once claimed a refund for standing in first, and the ticket examiner had endorsed my ticket by way of proof.
However in the absence of a ticket check ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2014, 14:03:04 »

The TM(resolve) is never far from 1st class...in my experience. And the buffet person can usually locate / know where they are
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2014, 14:07:55 »

Regarding claiming a refund, how does a first class ticket holder prove that they had to stand ? I have only once claimed a refund for standing in first, and the ticket examiner had endorsed my ticket by way of proof.
However in the absence of a ticket check ?

I've had no problem in claiming refunds for having to stand over the past 3 years.  If a train manager ever presented themselves then I can see how their endorsement would be useful but as a) I never see a train manager, and b) I'm not sure how that would work with an annual season ticket(?), it has never been an issue for me.

I just write in to the Customer Services department stating why I wish to claim and back comes a collection of vouchers.  I usually wait until the end of the month before doing this to save the paperwork.

The only issue I've ever had is when Customer Services say I can't claim for having to stand on a Turbo service.  However I believe that I'm correct in saying that the October 2013 passenger charter revised the terms to give refunds on all services so I just point out that they are using an old template and they pay up in the end.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2014, 14:11:09 »

The TM(resolve) is never far from 1st class...in my experience. And the buffet person can usually locate / know where they are

I continually remind FGW (First Great Western) at the meet the manager sessions that they should be checking tickets on my service because people often have to stand.  As those comments are continually ignored (I estimate 1 check per month on average) I'm not going to queue on the train to remind the manager.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2014, 14:22:30 »

Depends whether you want your refund I guess.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 14, 2014, 14:32:15 »

Depends whether you want your refund I guess.

As I say above, I haven't had any problems with obtaining a refund in the past.  If that were to change then I may change my approach.

But if I'm going to see the TM(resolve) about the seating then they will be getting reminders about all of the other things that my experience is lacking, like the trolley service/lack of papers/loud conversations in Coach G etc etc, so they may prefer me to stay in my seat.

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2014, 16:01:43 »

The 05:11 Worcester-->Paddington arrived without Coach G today.  I'm hoping that this is a temporary problem although it is indicative of the incoming changes.

I counted 35 First Class passengers standing in Coach H for the final run into Paddington.  I hope they all claim refunds.
There was no ticket check for my piece of the journey, nor announcement of where Coach G had been left.

Utterly utterly useless.

Was that from Maidenhead? I was on the 07.02 Turbo departure which this morning left before the arrival of the connection from Bourne End so I'd guess that all the passengers from the branch train had to squeeze onto yours.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2014, 16:32:15 »

Utterly utterly useless.

This seems to be fairly common place at the moment, so far in 2014 I've been on trains where coach H missing (reservations placed in coach G (which was de-quieted & those reservations for coach G placed in coach F but no information provided); coach H wrongly labelled as the quiet carriage and G with no quiet labels with quiet carriage reservations left in the now not quiet coach G & also a train with a 'defective' coach H cordoned off out of service and everyone rammed into G which was also de-quieted. Various seat reservations either missing entirely from a whole carriage/train and an odd time with most in place, but one or two missing here and there.

Couple of carriages running about over the winter with no heating whatsoever & assorted coaches in formation the 'wrong' way round. All in all a bit chaotic at times over the last few months and I can see it getting worse once the 'improvements' have been made and probably the peak of chaos during the conversion.

Based on my last few months of travelling S.Wales - London & return weekly I am beginning to agree with your final comment!!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2014, 17:00:24 »

I continually remind FGW (First Great Western) at the meet the manager sessions that they should be checking tickets on my service because people often have to stand.  As those comments are continually ignored (I estimate 1 check per month on average) I'm not going to queue on the train to remind the manager.

Each time I write in to claim my refund for standing in First Class I ask them why they sell First Class tickets yet, due to no ticket checks being made, regularly do NOT provide a First Class service.. They ignore the question each time.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2014, 18:18:42 »

When it comes to checking tickets its very hard to do so between Oxford and Hereford due to the short platforms at many of the stations.   The short platforms require the TM(resolve) to be at a specific location in the train to operate SDO (Selective Door Opening) and release the doors.
If they try to do a ticket check they often find themselves in the wrong location, its around about 10 minute run between stations, and end up fighting there way back through the train which in turn causes delays.  Also, if a passenger pays by debit or credit card and there is an issue with the card the TM can not walk away with the customers card to release the doors.
Services between Oxford and Hereford really need an extra member of staff on board who's sole duty is ticket checks.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2014, 20:30:41 »

Having asked a few staff, I'm getting a very consistent view that there will be no quiet carriage in first going forward. As someone who always sits in the QC (as do several other regular travellers) I think it's a poor show that FGW (First Great Western) can't be bothered to even give those of us seeking a bit of piece and quiet half a carriage.

Also today, the configuration of the 0700 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) had the buffet divorced from first class as the carriage had been turned around. I don't know whether it was a coincidence but there was no first class trolley service, despite there being a second member of catering crew on board. This evening's TM(resolve) mentioned that turning the smaller buffets round is part of the reconfiguration. I can't work out why that would be necessary.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: