Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:52:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393996 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2014, 23:56:29 »

How about some flat beds?  Grin
Don't give them ideas as the 'logical' thing to do is to convert the overhead luggage space into flat beds to fit even more people into standard.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:01 »

Yes, thanks, of course I am!
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:25 »

Forgive me if this has been posted previously,  but at 27 pages long....

Anyway, there's been a staff briefing about the new 1st class config on HSTs (High Speed Train). Here's the gist:

Electric door on the composite 1st/std coach separating the two classes. It will be push button operated rather than pressure pad on the floor.

New, more comfortable, head rests with some kind of movable side rest. Mention of a similar arrangement to that of headrests on Beoing aircraft.

Privacy screens between the backs of groups of seats.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the leather is being retained?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:52 »

At Maidenhead yesterday, and I've never seen this before, they were stopping people without First Class tickets going towards the First Class end of the platform for the 7.08 train.. Having also had a proper ticket check on the 7.59 departure last week (including actually moving standard class ticket holders all the way to standard class, not just the nearest vestibule), maybe finally someone has taken notice of what we've been telling them for years..
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:22 »

Yep - 'twas indeed a miracle worthy of Easter week!   Cheesy
Watching the line, a lot of people either got turned back or thought worse of trying it before reaching that point.
My only gripe was that one of the repeat offenders (travels everyday in first on a Standard - never been fined) is on holiday this week   Cry Cry
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #410 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:43 »

THey might repeat it in a while....
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:30 »

Watching the line, a lot of people either got turned back or thought worse of trying it before reaching that point.
My only gripe was that one of the repeat offenders (travels everyday in first on a Standard - never been fined) is on holiday this week   Cry Cry

I can recommend discretely pointing this individual out to the train manager sometime - they're usually quite responsive to such information!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:49 »

I can recommend discretely pointing this individual out to the train manager sometime - they're usually quite responsive to such information!

It has been done.  Several times, and not just by me.  He still just pays the upgrade when challenged.
As a technical question, isn't that option always available to a Standard class ticket holder found to be in First?  ie. they have a ticket and can pay for the upgrade?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2014, 12:20:42 »

...He still just pays the upgrade when challenged.
As a technical question, isn't that option always available to a Standard class ticket holder found to be in First?  ie. they have a ticket and can pay for the upgrade?

Definitely not supposed to wait in first class then pay only when asked though.   In a penalty fare area it's supposed to result in a PF (Penalty Fare) being charged irrespective of the standard fare already being paid - and that is the normal practice if 'caught' by revenue staff on SWT (South West Trains) and SN AFAICS (As Far As I Can See).

Part of NR» (Network Rail - home page) Conditions of Carriage 39 also includes an extra rule specifically for season ticket holders though:

If you have a standard class Season Ticket, you may only travel in first class accommodation (which includes occupying seats or standing in any part of the carriage) if:
(a) the difference between the full single fare for first class accommodation and the full single fare for standard class accommodation has been paid before your journey starts;
etc etc...

AIUI (as I understand it) that is there to deal specifically with the season ticket holder who just chances it - especially on DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) services...

Paul
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:43 »

It has been done.  Several times, and not just by me.  He still just pays the upgrade when challenged.

Ah, one of those types....!! I don't see there is an awful lot the train ops can do except put them on some kind of blacklist, but then these same people would probably cry about some human rights or another if that happened!

As far as I know train managers offering an 'upgrade' are basically doing the recipient of said upgrade a favour - they should be paying for a full first class fare
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2014, 16:57:42 »

Here's an idea.

Why don't FGW (First Great Western) switch the single seat side of the carriage to be individual seats (and a smaller table)? It would much up alignment but you could cram a few more seats in. Groups still have the tables of 4, and having individual seats might dissuade single passengers trying to take up a table.

Any idea how many extra seats could be crammed in?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2014, 17:57:14 »

I believe that's the intention. Currently single passengers have no alternative but to take up a table, so it's not the case that we are "trying to".   (OK, I know there is currently a single seat in the buffet car.)
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2014, 23:31:45 »

There are some mock up pictures over on the Rail UK (United Kingdom) forum here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1775239&postcount=138
(I hope posting that link is OK.)

That would appear to show that at least some of the '+1' seats are now individual rather than at tables. I don't think that it would have been done with increasing capacity in mind but it would allow more privacy for individuals. If you keep the same number of seats it should be possible to maintain good seat-to-window alignment even when altering the seating layout like this.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2014, 19:22:59 »

Having just booked seats in First Class on both East Midlands Trains an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), I am disappointed not to be able to choose forward or reverse facing (something which has not been possible for several years) but I was faced with 'Window' 'Window View' (whatever that means) and 'Aisle'.  On XC I have ended up with Aisle anyway and will be even more annoyed if I am made to face the rear of the train having forked out for the First Class.

I'm posting this here, because the layouts indicated above suggest ranks of single seats facing in one direction - in itself not a problem - but I hope FGW (First Great Western) will maintain the customer-friendly practice of allowing choice of which way the seat faces. It makes a difference to me as I suffer travel sickness at high speed when not facing the destination.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2014, 19:43:24 »

All single XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) 1st class face in onedirection, andasthey can't besure in which direction (Coach A oe E/F leading, can't offer facing/back to direction of travel.

With 1st seating in more trhan one coach, FGW (First Great Western) can ensurethat singleseats face both directions - and have no excuse for not doing so.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: