17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:07:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393901 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2014, 19:46:55 »

I accept that I am probably in a small, uncommercially significant minority.
I can't travel in reverse direction of travel without feeling a bit queasy are a while so you aren't alone. One of the reasons why I go via London when heading North rather than using XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).

I accept that it is important to a significant number of people.  I just don't see how XC could practically achieve it without both rearranging the seating in first class and a an IT solution that could keep track of the orientation of each unit and adjust the bookings accordingly.  Even then there would be problems on some services due to the change in direction. 
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 27, 2014, 22:47:39 »

I'm also wondering why the chose to put the Micro Buffet next to the TC(resolve). Why not make the Micro Buffet a TCMB (Trailer Composite Micro Buffet) as this would allow another full Standard Class carriage?!?! Ok you wouldn't get too much Standard Class seating in a TCMB but it would be at the provision of a further full Standard Class carriage (Possibly made from the conversion of a TF to a TS)

Probably so they don't need to send all the mini-buffets off to be refurbished again.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 18, 2014, 14:29:05 »

Well I've just gone to book some First Advance with FGW (First Great Western) and have also noticed that the First Advance fares have increased significantly in price...!

Yes I'm aware of the subject to availability and Advance fares are quota controlled etc.

The trains I use are often empty in First Class. Where on some journeys I was paying ^22.00 for a First Advance, I am now being offered a ^49.50 fare! Roll Eyes So I can only see this as an increase, rather than because of the reduction of First Class seating. Irrelevant of whether there is 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 or 0.5 First Class Carriages. It makes no difference if you're the only person fish sat in it!

It's going to work out cheaper at this rate to purchase the FSR (First Scot Rail) (First Off Peak Return) which is pretty darn expensive and not something I want to start having to do. But the flexibility may pay off in the long run I guess... Roll Eyes

Nicely done folks. Nicely done... Undecided Embarrassed Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 18, 2014, 15:36:41 »

Sadly Trout this was always going to be the way it would go with the reduction in seating starting to bite over the coming months as carriages are withdrawn for modification. Quotas of lower price First Advance fares would be reduced leading to an increase in the cost of what you are likely to pay for First Advance tickets.

Does anyone know if FGW (First Great Western) have actually increased Advance fares from today? I know the 10 percent offer if you buy direct via the FGW has now ended which has lead to the increase that was imposed last year on those who didn't buy via the FGW website now applying to everyone.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #439 on: May 18, 2014, 15:39:25 »

Note that 1st class has all been relettered overnight into K & L rather than F & G, so the seats 'available' may have reduced, even if they're still physically there for the time being?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2014, 07:53:08 »

And the quiet carriage stickers have been removed as well.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 19, 2014, 10:12:53 »

And the quiet carriage stickers have been removed as well.

Not across the board so far, there's still plenty floating around this morning with quiet carriage stickers...

Also a coach M on those sets that have a full size buffet - with the old coach F being the new K. I expect M is temporary and will be removed as the conversions are completed
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2014, 20:46:14 »

7.08 this morning.. Maidenhead to Paddington.. The trolley came through first class with the complimentary food and drink.. I cannot remember the last time that happened (if ever) on that train.. No ticket check though.. shame.. Roll Eyes
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2014, 09:54:48 »

7.08 this morning.. Maidenhead to Paddington.. The trolley came through first class with the complimentary food and drink.. I cannot remember the last time that happened (if ever) on that train.. No ticket check though.. shame.. Roll Eyes

And again this morning!  Incredible! 
No ticket check, and no quiet carriage.  But its a good start.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2014, 16:23:34 »

Not sure, but it might have something to do with the shake-up of the Trolley service at Oxford with some of the Rail Gourmet staff now working for FGW (First Great Western) as dedicated customer hosts.  I thought that was predominantly for the 180s, but perhaps the HST (High Speed Train) catering arrangements have changed a little, too?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2014, 16:40:16 »

And again this morning!  Incredible! 
No ticket check, and no quiet carriage.  But its a good start.

Sadly no trolley and no ticket check on the 7.59 departure this morning
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2014, 19:22:37 »

Well I've just gone to book some First Advance with FGW (First Great Western) and have also noticed that the First Advance fares have increased significantly in price...!

Yes I'm aware of the subject to availability and Advance fares are quota controlled etc.

The trains I use are often empty in First Class. Where on some journeys I was paying ^22.00 for a First Advance, I am now being offered a ^49.50 fare! Roll Eyes So I can only see this as an increase, rather than because of the reduction of First Class seating. Irrelevant of whether there is 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 or 0.5 First Class Carriages. It makes no difference if you're the only person fish sat in it!

It's going to work out cheaper at this rate to purchase the FSR (First Scot Rail) (First Off Peak Return) which is pretty darn expensive and not something I want to start having to do. But the flexibility may pay off in the long run I guess... Roll Eyes

Nicely done folks. Nicely done... Undecided Embarrassed Lips sealed

This was always my reservation (no pun intended).

I know a lot of people whose opinion of rail travel in has ben changed for the better thanks to the cheap, off-peak 1st deals (especially after I had made them aware).

There are going to be a lot of disappointed people as these fares vanish
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2014, 21:14:49 »

Not sure, but it might have something to do with the shake-up of the Trolley service at Oxford with some of the Rail Gourmet staff now working for FGW (First Great Western) as dedicated customer hosts.  I thought that was predominantly for the 180s, but perhaps the HST (High Speed Train) catering arrangements have changed a little, too?
Are the buffets finally being used on 180s or is still a trolley service?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2014, 21:16:35 »

Still just a trolley service.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2014, 22:44:28 »

Funny that II, I make most of my journeys on the 180s these days and I have only ever seen a trolley being removed from the train after arrival at Oxford from Paddington, I have never seen a trolley west of Oxford (even when there is room to wheel it down the train).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: