Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 15:39:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393851 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2014, 17:44:00 »

This topic appears to have strayed somewhat from the title. I'm currently sitting on a 1 1/2 first only set heading west out of SWI» (Swindon - next trains) and there is loads of room. Though may not have been the case when leaving Paddington of course.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 02, 2014, 19:36:31 »

Like all these things - it is all or nothing. The train's origin may be helpful for a train at Reading, Swindon or Chippenham for example - but not so useful when standing at St Erth and waiting for an eastbound train to be told "This is the train from Penzance".
St Erth is actually one of a handful of stations which doesn't tell you the origin of the service. I don't think this is actually deliberate but just one of the many quirks of the CIS (Customer Information System) system. Bodmin Parkway is another which doesn't.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 03, 2014, 01:55:10 »

This topic appears to have strayed somewhat from the title. I'm currently sitting on a 1 1/2 first only set heading west out of SWI» (Swindon - next trains) and there is loads of room. Though may not have been the case when leaving Paddington of course.

I also noticed this morning that the 7.58 ex-Swansea was much lighter loaded in first than was common prior to the meddling with advance ticket allocations and prices. Judging by my own anecdotal evidence of some of the former regulars in first from my local station, including myself, these "improvements" have convinced a significant number of people that first class not worth the extra now and some of these folk are are now taking up capacity in standard, thus partly nullifying the "extra" standard capacity. Well thought out DfT» (Department for Transport - about) & FGW (First Great Western)!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:41 »

I'm sure some will decide that 1st is no longer worth it, but 'partly' is the key word in your post.  A handful of seats taken by former 1st class passengers but a whole carriage (in many cases) of extra standard class seats.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2014, 09:07:44 »

And even if a whole First Class carriage worth of people were to move to Standard Class you'd still have extra seats available because a Standard Class carriage has lots more seats that a First Class one.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2014, 09:59:30 »

I'm sure some will decide that 1st is no longer worth it, but 'partly' is the key word in your post.  A handful of seats taken by former 1st class passengers but a whole carriage (in many cases) of extra standard class seats.

There are other ways to travel. It's quite possible that many former 1st passengers will fly, drive or drive to a station much closer to London. Certainly this one no longer sees the train as the default option.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:30 »

And even if a whole First Class carriage worth of people were to move to Standard Class you'd still have extra seats available because a Standard Class carriage has lots more seats that a First Class one.

Yes, but the difference in the number of seats is around 40 ish. However, if you left first class as it was in terms of seat numbers, but encourage more people into it from standard using cheap advance fares (which effectively costs nothing to implement), then you potentially free a similar number of seats in standard without the cost of the conversion...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #547 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:33 »

You'll get more for selling 40ish seats in Standard than you will selling 15+ 1st class cheap
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 03, 2014, 10:15:40 »

There are other ways to travel. It's quite possible that many former 1st passengers will fly, drive or drive to a station much closer to London. Certainly this one no longer sees the train as the default option.

Same here, even accounting for some traffic delays the m4 is significantly quicker door to door for me and now they have withdrawn a lot of advance fares in standard & first very much cheaper...
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:39 »

You'll get more for selling 40ish seats in Standard than you will selling 15+ 1st class cheap

Depends on what you're comparing. My journey in standard now costs more than it did in first for the previous 2 years from when I started the commute. I'm sure had they offered the cheapest advance first class fares equal to or only slightly more than a standard fare, then first would've seen very much higher occupancy and we'd perhaps not now be discussing these changes!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #550 on: June 03, 2014, 10:42:57 »

But there are 25 more (ish) Standard seats - therefore the "little bit more than Standard" is surely eaten up by selling these additional seats?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:51 »

Where are these 5car (bi-modes) going to come from? All those on order are already spoken for...
...and then some. There's alot of talk about running 10-car trains formed of 2 5-car bi-modes coupled. Personally, I can't see there being enough units to double up many services given that they plan to double the frequency of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-Bristol and use IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) on an hourly semi-fast PAD-Westbury service.

10car (bi-modes only, don't forget - so on routes for that stock) are likely only in the peaks. Otherwise it's 9car electrics. Off-peak, it'll be 5car bi-modes, I'm sure. But double the frequency, you can halve the length of the train to get the same number of seats....so a 5car as 1 of the extra Bristol's (the one going to W-s-M) should be fine off-peak. And possibly peak too, as there are 3 other trains an hour.
(I wish people woukd read the consultation as its very clear in there what stock will be used on which services)
For those who haven't read the consultation (which I haven't yet done so in full), the route diagram it contains shows the following off-peak service pattern out of Paddington:
  • 2tph to Bristol via Bath (9-car 'electric' IEP)
  • 1tph to Weston Super Mare via Bristol Parkway (5-car bi-mode)
  • 1tph to Bristol via Bristol Parkway (mix of 5-car bi-mode and 9-car 'electric' IEP)
  • 1tph to Plymouth (with extensions to Penzance) (IC125)
  • 1tph to Westbury (with extensions to Exeter and Paignton) (5-car bi-mode)
  • 1tph to Cardiff (mix of 5-car bi-mode and 9-car 'electric' IEP)
  • 1tph to Swansea (mix of 5-car bi-mode and 9-car 'electric' IEP)
  • 1tph to Cheltenham Spa (5-car bi-mode)
  • 1tph to Worcester (with extensions to Hereford every 2hrs) (5-car bi-mode)
  • 1tph to Oxford (EMU (Electric Multiple Unit), not IEP)
Note that the ONLY IEP route which will NEVER see 5-car units is PAD-Bristol via Bath. All the other routes (including South Wales, which won't have an enhanced frequency) are expected to have 5-car bi-modes diagramed on some workings.

I believe there are currently 49 IC125 diagrams + 4 180s (total 53), versus 18 9-car and 32 5-car + 14 retained IC125s (total 64) post-IEP. That's 11 diagrams more than now, BUT the additional Bristol Parkway services will require an extra 4, leaving 7. Worked out a different way, the services to be worked by IEPs of one form or annother ammount to 43 diagrams, which also gives me 7 diagrams left over. Those 7 leftover diagramed IEP units are all that is left to lengthen any of the 5-car services to 10-car. If the Worcester services are to be 10-car as far as Oxford, as some have suggested, that's three units off the 7. If the PAD-Oxford service listed as an EMU above is actually to be IEP worked that's another three units. So, if either of these are true, you have four units left to strengthen services on the Cotswolds, Cheltenahm, S.Wales or Bristol via Parkway routes. I don't think those 4 leftover units will be enough to ensure everything that needs to be longer than 5 coaches is longer than five coaches.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #552 on: June 03, 2014, 12:23:47 »

I think those three units to run Worcester's in the peaks will actually run (at least two of them) all the way through, at least that's the current feedback I'm getting.

Actually, I think you're pretty much there, with the 4 left-over under Hitachi's wing at any time being maintained. Remember, the agreement with Hitachi is meant to be watertight, in that whatever is agreed to be out will be out, but there's no call on the ones being maintained.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 03, 2014, 15:23:04 »

Out of all the trains I used to book cheap First Class Advance Tickets on I can only find one or two where Cheap 1ST Advance tickets are still available and 1 new train that I wouldn't usually consider booking.

A First Class Off Peak Return from Frome - Southend Stations is ^118.80 with a railcard. That's pretty expensive but on the greater scheme of things works out at ^59.40 each way.

With most First Class Advance Fares now being a minimum of ^45 each way. I think the FSR (First Scot Rail) as much as it hurts me to say it is going to be my best option in future Lips sealed Undecided Cry mainly for the flexibility and not being tied to specific trains.

Or I'll reinvest in a Gold Card and buy an FSR to NBY» (Newbury - next trains) and SVR between RDG(resolve) and SOV with Gold Card First Class supplements at ^5 each way...... Roll Eyes

My next concern with First Class section is the lack of toilets we could have available. Assuming we have Full Buffet (Coach K) and then Coach L (Former Coach H) that leaves 1 toilet in First Class... Embarrassed Lips sealed

I wonder how many First Class Full Fare Payers would be happy about having to walk to Coach E or D to use a toilet if the only one in First was occupied or broken?

Me personally I just put up with it because I don't have much other choice. But on the few occasions I do PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - LSK that would be incredibly annoying after a while Angry

One will of course hope that the Power Car side toilet is reinstalled or a toilet in Coach K is installed Wink

Key:
LSK = Liskeard
NBY = Newbury
PAD = London Paddington
RDG = Reading
SOV = Southend Victoria
FSR = First Class Off Peak Return
SVR = Standard Class Off Peak Return

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #554 on: June 03, 2014, 15:29:53 »

Or I'll reinvest in a Gold Card and buy an FSR (First Scot Rail) to NBY» (Newbury - next trains) and SVR between RDG(resolve) and SOV with Gold Card First Class supplements at ^5 each way...... Roll Eyes

and what prey, between NBY & RDG? :-)

What's the cheapest Gold Card season you can get this year?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: