18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:13 London Paddington to Swindon
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 21:29:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393935 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2014, 11:36:38 »

I suspect they may reconsider once the work is complete, but that's a couple of timetables away...
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:15 »

Although I've not had to travel to London as often in the past year, between 2009-13 I was undertaking Exeter - London as frequently as two return trips per week.

I really appreciated the First Class environment and the ability to stretch out and work in a quiet environment. And for me, that is a single seat in G with no-one opposite me (until perhaps Reading).

Selfish? I remember once paying over ^160 for a single 2.2 hour journey.

If I'm going to be packed into a metal tube with people left, right and centre of me then I may as well fly, or even better, drive to Heathrow and take the Heathrow Express.

It's a shame, because the train is the green option and I used to enjoy my journeys (except the odd delayed journey/four hour wait at Paddington). But it was a winter of discontent on the London service with flooding followed by diversions followed by the sea wall. And now Boeing-style seats are supposed to compensate for having Dave from accounts yelling into his mobile inches from my face?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:06 »

Not if you continue to take your single seat....you won't even get anyone staring at you from Reading as those will be airline....
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:14 »

In full agreement with Umberleigh.

The only benefit for me in first was additional space in the quiet carriage. Apart from that there is little else to justify the additional cost, particularly if you compare to something like the Pendolino offering by Virgin. Full meal service, quiet carriage, modern trains etc etc
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2014, 11:53:27 »

Isn't the First Class service offering being revamped at the end of the conversion work?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2014, 11:58:37 »

if you compare to something like the Pendolino offering by Virgin. Full meal service, quiet carriage, modern trains etc etc

Which, strange you should mention it, I am doing exactly this on Thursday - ^50 return to Glasgow, 1st class.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:31 »

Isn't the First Class service offering being revamped at the end of the conversion work?

I've not seen anything to suggest any changes other than the refreshed interiors. Common sense would tell you that if they had plans for a much improved service level that they would publicise accordingly in order to placate customers during the disruption of the changes.

I have serious doubts as to whether had 'full service' environment is ever likely to be restored, even post electrification, unless some radical new operator is installed on the franchise...
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:34 »

if you compare to something like the Pendolino offering by Virgin. Full meal service, quiet carriage, modern trains etc etc

Which, strange you should mention it, I am doing exactly this on Thursday - ^50 return to Glasgow, 1st class.

Wow, that is a good price, something only to dream of in FGW (First Great Western) land! Is that starting from Euston?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2014, 12:34:34 »

yep....they did an Spring offer a month or so ago for travel before July. ^25 e/w I got.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:13 »

And that is a clear demonstration of how to make best use of your first class accommodation without the expense of refreshing rolling stock only for most of it to be scrapped in 5 years time!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2014, 13:40:52 »

I still think that the downgrading of first class is a politicly inspired decision as a result of MPs (Member of Parliament) no longer being allowed in first at the public expense.

Had MPs still been allowed first class then I suspect that it would be a "valuable service for business customers" and "a vital part of ensuring that the West remains competitive" and "helps attract the better of visitors who spend more in the West and help protect local jobs"

I think that MPs should be allowed first class, not because they deserve it, but to stop this sort of downgrading.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2014, 14:03:19 »

I've not seen anything to suggest any changes other than the refreshed interiors.

I thought I remembered reading something, perhaps I'm mistaken though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 17, 2014, 14:13:21 »

I still think that the downgrading of first class is a politicly inspired decision as a result of MPs (Member of Parliament) no longer being allowed in first at the public expense.

Had MPs still been allowed first class then I suspect that it would be a "valuable service for business customers" and "a vital part of ensuring that the West remains competitive" and "helps attract the better of visitors who spend more in the West and help protect local jobs"

I think that MPs should be allowed first class, not because they deserve it, but to stop this sort of downgrading.

I have also seen it suggested that the announcement of the changes to first class rather conveniently coincided with the announcement of the annual increase in regulated fares...
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 17, 2014, 14:22:19 »

I thought I remembered reading something, perhaps I'm mistaken though.

I've just found the FGW (First Great Western) press release from 14th March this year and it doesn't mention anything apart from the interior refresh and is titled "More standard class seats and a refreshed first class environment" which implies no change apart from the refresh.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 17, 2014, 18:07:26 »

On a side note, an HST (High Speed Train) set is now running around with the new first class seats fitted. They look and feel great on first inspection. Hope to see more floating around as time progresses. Will attach a photo later today hopefully but for the meantime you can see my photo on Twitter by looking up @FGWBodminPway (The first and only FGW (First Great Western) station currently on Twitter!)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: