18:15 Penzance to Exeter St Davids
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:56:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393918 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 23, 2014, 20:52:18 »

Unfortunately the reduction in First Class seats to increase the number of Standard Class seats is a political game to win voters in the Thames Valley, the current sitting MP (Member of Parliament)'s (who happen to be in Government at the moment) need to win voters, as we run up to the next election they will be able to herald the fact they have increased the number of seats on train services.

Or am I just being a cynic  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 23, 2014, 22:27:53 »

Maid-->Paddington has a 1.5 carriage First Class. 15 people including myself are standing.
It is infuriating.

Train manager is "at the back if you want him". I try really hard not to swear on this forum but I might have to quite soon.

I understand your frustration, but if people are standing in First Class is it possible that the level of crowding in standard class made it difficult for the train manager to get from the back of the train?

The train manager never/rarely  makes it through to first class from the back of the train once we leave Maidenhead.. Even if First class is at the rear of the train...
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:10 »

Anyone know what ECML (East Coast Main Line) have in their 9 car trains?

Paul
3 FC(resolve)/5.5 SC in the 91+MK4 sets.
2.5 FC/6 SC in the HSTs (High Speed Train).
Indeed. Personally, I think the mrk4 sets should also be 2.5 first and 6 standard. 2.5 coaches of First sounds about right to me, maybe because it is what the Great Western full buffet sets have/had.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 24, 2014, 11:40:26 »

6 Standard certainly sounds about right for a long distance train.  Which is why the 9-car Pendo's at 5 Standard and 4 First has always been a silly ratio - though it's common to see one of the First Class carriages declassified.  I'm still confident the HST (High Speed Train) refurbishment will prove to be a good idea after the dust settles and will solve more problems that the few occasional ones it creates.

Maidenhead commuters will, at a guess, probably not get an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) service of any worth from 2017 and will instead end up with 8-car Electric EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s providing their fast services.  Then, there might then be the argument of doing away with First Class altogether on those suburban style trains, as Chiltern has done with a little hostility to start with but now widely accepted of course - and they arguably passes through even more affluent areas than the Thames Valley corridor.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #649 on: June 24, 2014, 11:57:41 »

Agree with all of this - except they are slated as 12car EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in the peaks
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 24, 2014, 12:33:06 »

I agree with II- The 1st class overcrowding on certain trains was bound to happen after this, but I think it will all shake down in due course. The additional standard capacity may well convince many of the short distance 1st class season ticket holders (ie Maidenhead & Twyford) to downgrade at the next ticket renewal, thus freeing up space in 1st. I know that when I was a Maidenhead commuter, I had a 1st Eastbound ticket purely to get a seat, not for any of the 1st class perks (not that we ever saw a trolley on the 08:00 from Maidenhead). It'll be interesting to see how things pan out once we get to the new year. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:29 »

With all this talk of 1.5 first class carriages or 2 .. I was suprisied to see the 3.5 first coaches proviided on this London bound service leaving Swindon yesterday....

The train itself was a 2+9 so I suspect it may have been a positioning move to get a carriage from one depot to another.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 06, 2014, 12:09:15 »

I travelled on a 2+9 set the other day, advertised as such by the CIS (Customer Information System). There was a standard class Coach B at the London end that was locked out of use.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 06, 2014, 12:28:42 »

A few weeks ago there was a set with 2 coach A's Swansea bound at about 8.25am at Bridgend.

Thus proving that 2+9 are perfectly able to maintain timings, at least on the core of the network and out to S.Wales...if they could locate some Mk3's (the difficult bit it seems - what did happen to all those loco hauled Mk3's from the WCML (West Coast Main Line)?) to convert to HST (High Speed Train) spec rather than mucking about quite so much with 1st class capacity, they really would be on to a winner!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 06, 2014, 13:20:07 »

Although it doesnt show too clearly in the photo, the set I saw certainly had three first class carriages at the front and then a 408xxx kitchen.  I don't know if any of the nine were locked out.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:56 »

Maidenhead->Paddington was full and with standing passengers in 1st Class today, as is always the case these days.

I happened to notice that there were at least two FGW (First Great Western) employees (if quantity of keys is an indication I'd say they were TM(resolve)'s) in seats in 1st whilst the passnegers stood.

What is the verdict/official position on this?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:34 »

Maidenhead->Paddington was full and with standing passengers in 1st Class today, as is always the case these days.

I happened to notice that there were at least two FGW (First Great Western) employees (if quantity of keys is an indication I'd say they were TM(resolve)'s) in seats in 1st whilst the passnegers stood.

I don't believe that this is allowed unless of course off duty and in possession of a first class ticket.
A small number of senior staff have free first class passes, but I believe that even holders of these are meant to stand if a first class passenger is standing.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
tom m

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:24 »

Any railway employee or family member travelling using a ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) staff pass is required to surrender their seat to a full fare paying passenger in those circumstances, its part of the terms and conditions of the ATOC pass.

I am not sure what the situation is with employees travelling on company trains but I presume similar rules exist.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:56 »

I don't believe that this is allowed unless of course off duty and in possession of a first class ticket.
A small number of senior staff have free first class passes, but I believe that even holders of these are meant to stand if a first class passenger is standing.

It's a massive no no, unless specifically authorised - ie. it is stated on a crew diagram, having been agreed by higher powers.

It would have to be a publicly available first class ticket, as even first class ticket purchased at staff discount rate requires them to stand if public fare paying are standing.  (Vast majority of staff do not have the entitlement to 1st class discount either).

You are correct re: first class passes, although I think there is a retired Gold pass that a tiny few still have that does not require them to stand.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:55:11 by Super Guard » Logged

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 23, 2014, 16:03:30 »

FGW (First Great Western) staff passes for 1st class are pretty rare and are not issued even to Station Managers or Flagship Station Managers (BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)/PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)/etc).
I am aware that certain staff from PR (Public Relations)/Comms get First Class passes and there are also +4 passes (ie the holder and 4 invited guests). However these also come under the give up your seat to a fare paying passenger rule.

The rules are that if a fare paying passenger customer is standing then the member of staff must give their seat up.
Even the ex BR (British Rail(ways)) managers on Status Passes (the plastic ones with blue/silver/gold bar at the top) should also give their seats up.
Gold status passes also have the give up the seat rule. Generally gold status passes are given to executive grade staff at privatisation. E.g. Sector Directors, Sector MDs, and their partners. Gold status passes get you everything for free including sleeper berths.
There are even rarer passes then the status passes, medallions and the All Companies Free FIP pass.

Retired staff are exempt from the seat rule.

If you have purchased a staff discounted ticket then there is some argument over giving the seat up. I would say that as you have paid for the seat (in some format) then you are entitled to sit there. Sometimes even the advance tickets are cheaper then staff rate and in that case who would get the seat??

ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) Staff restrictions guide extract
Active staff holders of National Rail First Class travel facilities must give priority to fare-paying First Class customers.

Active staff holders of National Rail Standard travel facilities are requested to vacate their seats if fare-paying customers are standing.

In respect of journeys terminating at Paddington on services which arrive between 07.15 and 09.00 and journeys
departing from Paddington between 16.30 and 19.15, holders of all staff travel facilities should only use accommodation where spare seats are available. Whenever required by those joining en-route, seats should be vacated immediately.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: