17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 18:17:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393890 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: December 03, 2014, 21:58:42 »

Maybe FGW (First Great Western) could video down a few trains and post them on youtube and send to the relevant MPs (Member of Parliament).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 03, 2014, 21:59:55 »

Some trains are grossly overcrowded throughout, but I have seen many instances of severe overcrowding in std coaches D  or E  when seats remain in A.

IMHO (in my humble opinion), first class should be at the country end to reduce these problems.

Interestingly, the few times I've travelled on a train in reverse formation with first class at the country end, first class has also been rather quieter!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 03, 2014, 23:03:23 »

Maybe FGW (First Great Western) could video down a few trains and post them on youtube and send to the relevant MPs (Member of Parliament).

Yes, or better still would be to fit one or more display screens in E that show a real time view of A, at peak times.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #828 on: December 03, 2014, 23:13:05 »

Didn't I note that one of the new features of the 800 / 801 classes was for the coaches to do their own passenger counts, real time ... so that they could advertise the available space and where people should stand when waiting to join at intermediate stations.   Will that make any difference to the distribution up the platform, do we think??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 03, 2014, 23:26:54 »

Didn't I note that one of the new features of the 800 / 801 classes was for the coaches to do their own passenger counts, real time ... so that they could advertise the available space and where people should stand when waiting to join at intermediate stations.   Will that make any difference to the distribution up the platform, do we think??

Yes, I think you are correct about the real time passenger counts and I am of the opinion that it's unlikely to make a difference to the clumps of people found in otherwise normally occupied trains. There will always be plenty of people who get to the station at the last possible minute, jump on at the first open door and stay there, or those who think that saving 3 milliseconds by being 2cm closer to the station exits is really seriously going to make a difference to their lives!
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 03, 2014, 23:34:56 »

There is currently a set doing the rounds that is formed of 7 coaches, 4 of which are 1st class coaches!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 04, 2014, 07:17:57 »

Amazing! Where can I locate this metallic steed of the gods?!?  Grin

Once found, I shall travel on no other! Then again, I bet the coffee on the trolley gets quite cold by the last carriage...
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: December 04, 2014, 09:19:52 »

Yes, I think you are correct about the real time passenger counts and I am of the opinion that it's unlikely to make a difference to the clumps of people found in otherwise normally occupied trains. There will always be plenty of people who get to the station at the last possible minute, jump on at the first open door and stay there, or those who think that saving 3 milliseconds by being 2cm closer to the station exits is really seriously going to make a difference to their lives!
Depending on which route you are using, platform distribution might become less of a problem with the 800/801. Not because of any newfangled technology but simply because of the axe that is planned to train lengths (discussion here), the trains will just be crammed throughout instead of just at one end.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 10, 2014, 11:55:35 »

I've walked through and taken reservations out of seats that haven't been taken up and started handing them to passengers who are standing - guaranteed seat - but "no thanks, i'll stand i'm getting off at the next stop" (in 1 hr 15 mins).

To be fair, back in the day of all HSS (High Speed Services) westbound services using the old Platform 4 (now 7), one of the RDG(resolve) commuters did explain to me, that they have a connection that goes off P4A/B (now 4/5/6), and if losing a few minutes into Reading, the chance of making that connection is very tight.  By squeezing into the back of the train, there is a much higher chance of them making the connection, rather than being stuck at Reading for another 30 minutes when they're going home.  That's another reason why you may see West of England trains busier as they are normally platformed on P7 (closer to P4/5/6) than Bristol bound trains that will be further away.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:02 »

I was on the 8.41 Maidenhead to Paddington earlier (turbo) and first class turned out to be at the front.. The train stops at Slough and Southall. As usual at Southall First Class filled up (more likely when it is at the front). A ticket collector then came in and tried to move people out of First Class who didn't have first class tickets.. End result was some very aggressive shouty people (put me off reading my book!) who refused to move as they said that the train was dangerously overcrowded (it wasn't).. He quite rightly pointed out that the back carriage had seats in but they were just as aggressive with him as before..

Not the best start to the morning and least so for him so I did go and offer him my support once we were off the train and explain that I'd not backed him up on the train as it would have made the shouty people shout at me too (another passenger had already tried it with that result). He did appear to have taken it all in his stride though so I hope it was the case..
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 10, 2014, 14:55:03 »

I was on the 8.41 Maidenhead to Paddington earlier (turbo) and first class turned out to be at the front.. The train stops at Slough and Southall. As usual at Southall First Class filled up (more likely when it is at the front). A ticket collector then came in and tried to move people out of First Class who didn't have first class tickets.. End result was some very aggressive shouty people (put me off reading my book!) who refused to move as they said that the train was dangerously overcrowded (it wasn't).. He quite rightly pointed out that the back carriage had seats in but they were just as aggressive with him as before..

Not the best start to the morning and least so for him so I did go and offer him my support once we were off the train and explain that I'd not backed him up on the train as it would have made the shouty people shout at me too (another passenger had already tried it with that result). He did appear to have taken it all in his stride though so I hope it was the case..

That behaviour is inexcusable but I've heard some pretty scary accounts about Southall station over the last few mornings, apparently at one point this morning the platforms were dangerously overcrowded and there was little evidence of any staff around to ensure safety.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 22, 2014, 20:32:19 »

I was on a train the other day where coach K was standard class.. How does that work on the seat reservation system? As I'm sure they can't be sure which set will work which route for definite?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 26, 2014, 16:47:29 »

Just to put this issue to bed:

Quote from: First Great Western Customer Relations
I have also considered your comment about there being no First Class on this service, and as such you did not use your ticket to its full. I am therefore happy to enclose a ^7.60 Rail Travel Voucher to compensate the difference between First and Standard Class travel. This will be sent to your postal address.

I have also received the same for Declassified First Class when 1A37 had lighting failures in coaches A though D inclusive.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 04, 2015, 23:08:41 »

I have just bought (not renewed unfortunately as Christmas holidays meant a couple of weekly tickets meanwhile so no discount for bad service   Huh Grin) my next monthly season ticket (Maidenhead to all zones) and I've given up the First Class eastbound only element and I'll get a slower train and see how that goes.. Sadly that almost feels like FGW (First Great Western) (or whoever plans their trains) has won...

Incidentally when I looked at prices on line to day they are still offering First Class East bound only on annual season tickets so they obviously think there will still be enough First Class seats each morning for the next year Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 05, 2015, 00:04:15 »

I have just bought (not renewed unfortunately as Christmas holidays meant a couple of weekly tickets meanwhile so no discount for bad service   Huh Grin) my next monthly season ticket (Maidenhead to all zones) and I've given up the First Class eastbound only element and I'll get a slower train and see how that goes.. Sadly that almost feels like FGW (First Great Western) (or whoever plans their trains) has won...

Incidentally when I looked at prices on line to day they are still offering First Class East bound only on annual season tickets so they obviously think there will still be enough First Class seats each morning for the next year Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Did your last monthly expire less than 28 days ago? If renewing within 28 days, you should still get any passenger charter discount that is currently being offered.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: