Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:13:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[46] Misleading advertising?
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 394270 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #915 on: April 30, 2015, 14:06:23 »

Call customer services....if everyone with a 1st class ticket did this, they'd need to up-staff...the cost m,ight just make them think again on this....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 30, 2015, 22:09:52 »

On a more positive note about FGW (First Great Western)'s 1st Class service.

I visited the Paddington 1st Class Lounge yesterday (Weds 29/04/2015) and was delighted to discover that it was 'Cocktail Wednesday'.  Grin

Every Wednesday from 4pm to 8pm the ladies from Tipplesworth are on hand to serve complimentary cocktails to FGW's 1st Class customers.

I tried both. Very nice they were too. The cocktails I mean.  Wink

Attached also is a larger image of the cocktail menu.

Oh, and once aboard my chosen HST (High Speed Train) I discovered that complimentary wine is offered on a Wednesday evening!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 22:19:15 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #917 on: April 30, 2015, 22:21:28 »

... complimentary cocktails ... I tried both. Very nice they were too ...

Attached also is a larger image of the cocktail menu.

... from which I note that you would obviously have tried the Light and Stormy - but which was the other one?  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 24, 2015, 08:42:19 »

Even 6/3 is vastly different to FGW (First Great Western)'s 6.5/1.5.

Yes, though it's actually nearer 2 with space for the crumple zone, disabled toilet and kitchen taken into account.   99 first class seats, which is more, but not a huge amount more, that the current FGW layout, and pretty much identical to what's expected from the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) 9-cars.

Quote from: NickB
As I reported in the Rights and Redress section FGW are now refusing refunds for having to stand in First unless a reservation was made.  This goes against National Conditions of Carriage and their own Passengers Charter.  Disgraceful on so many levels.

I quite agree.  That is indeed disgraceful.

First class provision on the new trains has now been downgraded to 71 seats on the full length trains and to 36 seats on the half length ones that form most of the fleet.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:13 »

And they still find room for a kitchen and shop!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 24, 2015, 08:50:38 »

First class provision on the new trains has now been downgraded to 71 seats on the full length trains and to 36 seats on the half length ones that form most of the fleet.
Sigh, I had hoped that with the introduction of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) that we would see 1st back up to 100 seats on full length sets. Be interesting to see if East Coast reduce down to 71 as well. That would be quite a reduction from around 130 currently offered on class 91 electrics. East Coast HSTS are around 110 seats.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:18 »

Firstly... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Now then...
Will you be able to make reservations for these trains?  I'm guessing not if they are driver only, so there will be no one to referee the fights.  This is imprtant because FGW (First Great Western) seem determined to replace actual capacity in 1st with seat reservations for the few that can phone up fast enough.  If you can't reserve then that becomes a problem.

That said, if all of the trains are effectively turbos with a shop then passengers in the Thames Valley (which I acknowledge is the crunch area) won't be fighting to get on the lone HST (High Speed Train) as all the trains will be equally crap, ahem, specified.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #922 on: July 24, 2015, 09:00:03 »

Where does it say anything about Driver-only?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 24, 2015, 09:31:57 »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if hardly any, perhaps no, IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) stop at Maidenhead, and the commuters from there get 8-car 387/365 EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) for the majority of their services until Crossrail arrives in town.  Same goes for Slough/Twyford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:58 »

Interesting.  The implication from previous 'Meet the Manager' sessions has been that Maidenhead will get IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), but I realise that isn't a very trustworthy source.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:00 »

Just an opinion.  Maybe the odd Oxford to London 10-car Bi-Mode would stop, though I guess that's not too different from now in terms of number of HST (High Speed Train) stops.  The timetable won't have much slack in it at commuter stations to allow for the extended dwell times that are needed for the door layout of the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #926 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:51 »

If you remember discussing the new route map for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), the IEPs were not stopping after Reading, but the fast Oxford 387s were....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:53 »

Where does it say anything about Driver-only?

I am not aware of any proposal to regularly run the new trains as driver only in passenger service.
However if the employers win the dispute with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), then they have undertaken to ROSTER a train manager for each service, but would run it DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) for a part of the journey if the train manager was not available.

As regards refereeing fights over the much reduced first class seating, in the case of two half trains coupled together, then sods law dictates that the train manger will be in the other unit.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 24, 2015, 11:50:40 »

Isn't this what YOU have all wanted?  FGW (First Great Western) complaints and surveys show that:

- you want more standard capacity, so first class capacity has been taken away
- you want to be served in your seat, so buffets have been taken away
- you want the train to run during disruption, so the requirement for a guard has been taken away
- you want first class exclusivity upheld, so the train manager has been told his priority is the first class coaches at the expense of standard

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 24, 2015, 12:16:24 »

That's part of the problem.  Everybody doesn't want the same thing.  Except for less delays during disruption, presumably!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: